Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which dog breeds are good for hot dry weather? (Arizona like)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which dog breeds are good for hot dry weather? (Arizona like)

Are there some dog breeds which are better adapted for hot desert climate, in the same way that Siberian Huskys are better adapted to cold sub artic weather?
    I need a foot massage

Chihuahua?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Yes. Obviously those domesticated in hot climate areas like the Middle East are hot climate dogs. Pariah dogs are for hot climates. That includes Basenjis (African), Salukis (Arabian), etc.

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I was just going to suggest basenjis.

I had a basenji mix when I still lived in Ann Arbor; great dog.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations Albie Those 2 dogs look like dogs, Chihuahuas are tiny monsters
          I need a foot massage

Comment

Most purebred basenjis can not bark; their larynx is shaped so that they do not make that noise. They do make an odd, miniature-Chewbacca yodel-like noise, so they aren't exactly silent.

Comment

Are these basenjis?
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Pharaoh and Ibizan hounds would also work, but I don't know about their temperament or availability.

EDIT: Wiki says it's almost impossible to find a Pharaoh Hound outside of Malta, so, uh, scratch that.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Rhodesian Ridgebacks should do well. Plus they can fight lions.

Comment

Any short haired breed would work.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Not a short-hair, but for my money, the dog I would have is a Border Collie. I think it would be OK. Smart enough to find comparative cool.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
                        Are these basenjis?
                        Yup.

Comment

Dingo.

Should do well in arid climate but may have a tendency to eat sheep and calves which may not endear you to the neighbours.

Comment

From what I understand, dingos eat babies.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                              Dingo.

Should do well in arid climate but may have a tendency to eat sheep and calves which may not endear you to the neighbours.
                              Especially when it eats their baby.

Edit: Damn, beat by the distinguished gentleman from Texas.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X