Finally lowered myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally lowered myself

but for thirty bucks on the GOTY edition, i don't think i could have acquired it for much cheaper. are there any good mods i should keep my eye out for?
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

after an afternoon of playing, i already feel ripped off.

Comment

We could have told you that.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't understand how the game can move so fast when so little happens.

Comment

Why do you always type in italics? ;-)

In all seriousness, I haven't broken down yet myself.

Have you tried adjusting game settings, and do you have the latest patches? What about mods and scenarios, are there any good ones? i.e., for Civ4, mods such as Fall from Heaven and Planetfall really revitalized my interest in the game.

Comment

The patches are sorely needed, but the game is much better with them(although not as good as Civ4, I'd place it above Civ3, closer to Civ4, but not just there). As I've been doing most of my Civ5 playing in the beta, I haven't used any mods myself, but I've read that VEM and NiGHTS are the best around. Especially NiGHTS have got some good praise.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

thanks, nikolai.

I'm still trying to sort through my first game right now, but there's a few things that really bother me, most of them seemingly minor.

how do i stop the god damned intro movie playing every time i fire this piece of **** up?

Comment

Just left click on screen. You can turn it off but then you'll get a black screen until the game itself has loaded anyway, so there's no real point.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

i think i'd prefer the black screen.

lost by three turns as babylon. started another game as spain on the standard difficulty, prince.

Comment

i already feel ripped off.

Comment

Google is your friend: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/ques...-opening-movie

And you did get ripped off, at least monetarily. Several months back Civ V (regular) was on sale for $12.50, and at one point the DLC was on sale for cheap - I bought all of the extra civs and scenarios (maps are an obvious ripoff) for $8. So theoretically you could have had just about the same amount of content for about $10 less.

As far as feeling ripped off by the gameplay, Civ V isn't new and there's not exactly a lack of criticism for the game. I personally like one unit per tile, I think it adds quite a bit of depth and tactical decision making to warfare, but it's obviously not for everyone.

Comment

I actually like most of the concepts in V, but the programming is so buggy that playing it irritates me at time. Having said that, I still like it better than IV.

Mike

Comment

there are things i like and things i'm not so keen on. they seemed to exchange the 'road spaghetti' for 'units hanging out everywhere.' i think i prefer spaghetti over the general untidiness of leaving my units out in the field. I'm still getting used to it, but I actually don't mind most of the streamlining that they've done.

I rather loathe the cylindrical map though. we've got the technology. give me a map that can at least pretend that it's spherical.

Comment

My biggest problem with CiV as it stands now is the 1UPT. I originally found the concept intriguing and thought it might be a great way to deal with stacks of doom. But the unit shuffling now required is a complete and total pain in the butt that makes the game unfun if you decide to field even a modest-sized army. I think hard unit limits is really the only way to go to prevent massive unit spam.

Unfortunately, this is a part of the game that really seems beyond fixing, as it's a core part of it. So much of the game's other mechanics and economy and so on is due to the 1UPT model. It's a shame, because I do love many other aspects of the game.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                              I don't understand how the game can move so fast when so little happens.
                              Bad design. That and they were just lazy ****s who didn't want to put any effort into making the game interesting or fun.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X