No announcement yet.

Crusader Kings 2 comes out next month.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crusader Kings 2 comes out next month.

I won't be buying it on release since Paradox tends to release games half cooked but I have to say I always liked the original and it looks like they've made a bunch of improvements to make the whole marriage & dynasty part of the game easier to manage. Is anyone looking forward to the release of this game? There are a few previews already up on youtube including one where a guy plays Leon from start to finish.

Hi everybody, I'd doing a LP of Crusader kings right now and I thought this would be an appropriate place to share it. Any whoo, Part one has finished uploading but might still be processing. The next part will be up sometime during this week...
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

You liked the low-budget crappy original with the ****ty interface?

You, the person who finds Total War battles stupid and boring?

Oerdin is always wrong about games.

CK2 looks like it has a much, much improved interface. I find the Paradox games outside of EU to be difficult to get into, though. I have CK1 (no Deus Vult) and EU: Rome but can't get into either because I just don't like the crapload of characters and the constant pestering of events.
    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; January 12, 2012, 04:47.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Won't be buying it either, having to share the spoils of conquest and the Character Juggling, which I already loathed in Rome, puts me off. Eco0nomy and Warfare are again oversimplified I presume?

I rather wait for Magna Mundi, which should come arround soon too.
      Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I'll say this from looking at the gameplay videos... there's a well-interfaced searchable character database (where you can search by gender, ethnicity, religion, marital status, etc. as well as the usual sorting by attributes) and useful characterizations relative to your dynasty head are given in red next to the character's name (half-brother, cousin, sister-in-law, etc.).

Still looks like a lot of annoying character juggling. To be honest, even the character juggling in Total War games gets too much for me (Shogun 2 is borderline but the entire game takes place in a single lifespan so there's not too many characters over the game's course). EU: Rome and CK1 was even more ridiculous.

And why are you waiting for Magna Mundi when MEIOU is out and been out for Divine Wind? MEIOU is better.

Last edited by Al B. Sure!; January 12, 2012, 16:32.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The demo for CK2 is out.

Comment

There seems to be a good sized learning curve on this game. I tried a quick game as the female Italian ruler (one of four people you can play in the demo) and the hints section said the first thing I should do is have my ruler get married. OK, I used the diplomacy section to search for a suitable husband, found literally dozens though the search function allowed me to narrow it down to only the best candidates, yet when I tried to offer marriage my selected candidate wasn't on the list of possibilities. It seems you can only marry people at your own court instead of people from other kingdoms, which seems stupid. Surely there must be a way to do this but so far I haven't figured it out.

To be fair I only got about 1/10th of the way through the tutorial before I got bored so I'll probably just go back and finish the whole tutorial as I'm no doubt missing something.

Comment

20 years is such a pathetic amount of time, especially when they limit you to just four characters to begin with, as to make the demo meaningless. I didn't manage a single technology advance, only made a few improvements, and didn't get a grasp for diplomacy or war making. All in all it's the worst demo I've seen. I mean I thought the purpose of a demo was to get a feel for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                It seems you can only marry people at your own court instead of people from other kingdoms, which seems stupid. Surely there must be a way to do this but so far I haven't figured it out.
                You can. It probably was just a function of the tutorial. I haven't played the demo but in CK1 you could and I've seen Let's Plays where people did manage to marry people from other kingdoms.

Honestly, the tutorials in Paradox games have always been kinda crappy. I've only used them to get a feeling for the layout then I go play the actual game.

If you pick a small out of the way county/duke and just goof around you'll probably have more fun that way.
                Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

When you try to marry, change the liege lord from yourself to someone else. Or use the diplomacy screen directly. This stuff isn't hard to figure out.

The lack of a demesne view (the diplomacy view is the closest approximation) sucks.

Comment

Release date is tomorrow and people over at the PI forums are chomping at the bit. I can't wait to hear the howls about the game being half baked and buggy.

Comment

Yeah I don't like it. Not because it's buggy (the demo doesn't seem buggy) but because I don't like the concept. Managing a family is boring to me relative to managing a nation.

Though to be honest, even EU3 is boring unless I make up a story in my head and have specific goals.

Comment

There seems to be some balance bugs still to work out based on the AARs I'm seeing. A poster named Alerias started as the Holy Roman Emperor and with in one character life time conquered France, the low countries, all of Spain, Poland, Hungary, and all of North Africa. In another game he started as a minor duke in Apulia and pretty much conquered all of the med in one character life time. The only part he hadn't conquered was Byzantium but he'd arranged a pretty devious bit of marriage & murder so that his grand son is heir to both empires. Unless they make the game harder/more balanced they're going to have everyone doing world conquests in one or two character life times.

Comment

I don't see it. As the Polish king, I got overwhelmed by the pagan Baltic (they had 3x the troops I had) and I had no claims on any of my Christian neighbors.

Comment

It looks like there are already zero time torrentz for this game even though it hasn't officially been released yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                              I don't see it. As the Polish king, I got overwhelmed by the pagan Baltic (they had 3x the troops I had) and I had no claims on any of my Christian neighbors.
                              I had a similar problem playing as Poland. Bohemia declared war on me and my army (after calling all of my levees) was just a little over 2000 men while they came at me with 5500. There was no way to win.

Comment

Working...
                              X