No announcement yet.

The 2012 Off Topic Celebrity Dead Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if I want to pick 200,000? instead?

Comment

• Go ahead but I'll only record the first 20.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
        Ok, new list sent.
        I got it and it's fine except the two new guys go at the bottom.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	calvin dancing.gif
Views:	1
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	9092566 Well done, Wezil!
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Ok what if all 200,000 die, do I get bonus points? And are there any exclusions in the rules for insider information or insider trading?

Comment

• I'd suggest you have a look at the rules in the sign up thread.

All the answers with half the spam.

Comment

• Yes but those rules don't cover insider information, seems you need an amendment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                  I got it and it's fine except the two new guys go at the bottom.
                  Ok, three new ones actually.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                    I'd suggest you have a look at the rules in the sign up thread.

All the answers with half the spam.
                    Low-cal spam? What's next?
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• What if the celebrity is pregnant, does that count as 1, 1 & 1/2, or 2?

Comment

• The rules clearly say no children, Thorn. In utero is definitely under the age line.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• What about neanderthals, or is it restricted to homo sapian sapians?

Or for that matter people that are counted as 1/10th person in the USA constitution are they counted less or the same here. (note not hate speech historical fact), which brings me to my point, this thread is less tasteful then my posts here.
                          Last edited by Thorn; January 10, 2012, 00:17.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                            ...which brings me to my point, this thread is less tasteful then my posts here.
                            We're OK with that.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• We might as well live with it.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Czech-Canadian writer Josef Skvorecky dies

Won Governor General's Literary Award for The Engineer of Human Souls (Reuters)

Josef Skvorecky, a Czech dissident writer who spent most of his life in exile in Canada, has died. He was 87.

He died Tuesday (January 2) in a Toronto hospital after battling cancer.

Skvorecky won the Governor General’s Literary Award in 1984 for The Engineer of Human Souls, a comic novel about the plight of a Czech dissident writer who is trying to make a new life in Canada. His other works, all translated into English, include The Republic of Whores, The Bride of Texas, Dvorak in Love and The Swell Season.

Skvorecky was an influential publisher of banned books through his company 68 Publishers, which he formed in Toronto in 1971 after fleeing the Soviet invasion that crushed the 1968 reform movement dubbed the Prague Spring.

In Canada, he published the works of Czech and Slovak writers, including Vaclav Havel — the writer-turned-political leader who died in December — and Milan Kundera, considered one of the former Czechoslovakia’s most important writers.

Studied medicine, philosophy

Born Sept. 27, 1924 in Nachod, Czechoslovakia, Skvorecky was forced to work in a German aircraft factory during the Second World War. He went to university in Prague after the war, initially studying medicine, but switching to liberal arts, earning a Ph.D. in philosophy in 1951.

Skvorecky translated works by William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway and Dashiell Hammett into Czech in the 1950s. His early novels, The End of the Nylon Age and The Cowards, were banned by the Communist regime. The Cowards, a 1958 book that took an unorthodox look at the events of May 1945 when Czechoslovakia was liberated from the Nazis, circulated underground and was influential in dissident circles.

His essays and short stories advanced democratic ideals, and Skvorecky was forced to flee his homeland in 1968 after Soviet tanks moved into Prague to stifle the pro-democracy movement.

Many of his novels and stories dealt with totalitarianism and repression, but he also wrote about the immigrant experience, often with humour.

He also wrote four detective novels: The Mournful Demeanor of Lieutenant Boruvka, Sins for Father Knox, The End of Lieutenant Boruvka and The Return of Lieutenant Boruvka. He adapted some of his works for TV, including Sins for Father Knox, The Swell Season and Murders for Luck.

From 1973-1990, he hosted a monthly radio series on writing and literature on Voice of America. He also served as an English professor at the University of Toronto from 1971 until his retirement in 1990.

Skvorecky was honoured with the Order of the White Lion by Czech president Havel in 1990 and with the Order of Canada in 1992.

Skvorecky is survived by his wife, Zdena Salivarova, a writer, actress and co-founder of 68 Publishers.
                                R.I.P.
                                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                                X