The Alamo defenders were mercenaries for slavery and imperialism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Alamo defenders were mercenaries for slavery and imperialism

Mexico permitted American settlement of Tejas on the condition that the settlers become Mexican citizens, accept Catholicism, and follow Mexican law. When Mexico abolished slavery, the Texans took up arms and were joined by Americans like Sam Bowie (a slave-trader) to fight for their 'rights' to own slaves. After their defeat, the propaganda cry of "Remember the Alamo" was the rallying cry of American imperialism in the Mexican-American War.

That building in Sloww's avatar is a stupid old building because it represents slavery and imperialism.

Discuss.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

You represent stupidity, but we still let you post here.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

A new low has been identified. As we discussed, Moron, Imbecile, Idiot and the new low, Alby.

Alby, Spain gave authorization for Texas to be colonized and act as a buffer between Comanches and Mexico.
      It wasn't out of the goodness of their heart.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd argue against the building itself being stupid, except in the sense that I suppose it would do very poorly on an IQ test.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
          A new low has been identified. As we discussed, Moron, Imbecile, Idiot and the new low, Alby.

Alby, Spain gave authorization for Texas to be colonized and act as a buffer between Comanches and Mexico.
          So? That changes what about the conditions placed upon the settlers? That changes what about their refusal to follow Mexican law and free their slaves? That changes what about slave-owners and slave-traders defending the Alamo and their defense being used as propaganda for the American invasion of Mexico?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Everything you wrote is a crock of ****, Al. Why I even bothered to educate you at all is the only real question.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Yet another classic example of Alba's moronic views... but no real surprise to anybody that has seen any of his other posts...
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The 1836 Texas Constitution, conceived during and immediately after the battle, states:

SEC. 9. All persons of color who were slaves for life previous to their emigration to Texas, and who are now held in bondage, shall remain in the like state of servitude, provide the said slave shall be the bona fide property of the person so holding said slave as aforesaid. Congress shall pass no laws to prohibit emigrants from the United States of America from bringing their slaves into the Republic with them, and holding them by the same tenure by which such slaves were held in the United States; nor shall Congress have power to emancipate slaves; nor shall any slave-holder be allowed to emancipate his or her slave or slaves, without the consent of Congress, unless he or she shall send his or her slave or slaves without the limits of the Republic. No free person of African descent, either in whole or in part, shall be permitted to reside permanently in the Republic, without the consent of Congress, and the importation or admission of Africans or negroes into this Republic, excepting from the United States of America, is forever prohibited, and declared to be piracy.
                So not only was the sustainment of slavery a major goal of the Texas constitution, but slave-owners were not permitted to free their slaves by their own volition, nor were free Blacks permitted to reside in the country of Texas.

Even during the long time that slavery was practiced in the United States, slave-owners always had the right to free their slaves and free Blacks were legally allowed to, and did, reside in the US. You could not be a free Black in Texas.

Not surprising that a group of slave-owners and slave-traders would defend the Alamo for the sake of such a constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  You represent stupidity, but we still let you post here.

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                  Yet another classic example of Alba's moronic views... but no real surprise to anybody that has seen any of his other posts...
                  Keep 'em coming. I know I'm doing something right when all I get is personal insults.

Keep believing your glorious white man pop fiction.

Comment

Trolling Sloww? Really? What, are you too chafed to masturbate anymore?
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      Trolling Sloww? Really? What, are you too chafed to masturbate anymore?
                      It's not a troll. It's real life.

It started because he was scared to make an avatar bet about the Giants-Cowboys game because he wanted to keep his precious symbol of slavery as an avatar.

But it's not trolling. This is real history, not whitewashed. Disturbing how even someone like Imran falls for the mythology, but I guess that makes sense. He wants to be a good ole boy so badly.

Comment

Think what you want, Al. I told you the plain facts. Why settlers were allowed into Texas. Decades before the War Between the States.
                        No matter the time, slave ownership percentages were never high in Texas. Never. Texas has always believed in States Rights, though.
                        Texas was an independent country. Why wouldn't the population believe in it?

Comment

The truth of your argument (I can't be arsed to investigate since it was well over a century ago and I don't care) is irrelevant to its trollish nature.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Think what you want, Al. I told you the plain facts. Why settlers were allowed into Texas. Decades before the War Between the States.
                            No matter the time, slave ownership percentages were never high in Texas. Never. Texas has always believed in States Rights, though.
                            Texas was an independent country. Why wouldn't the population believe in it?
                            Is there a reason why older people always do this? You do it all the time but I've noticed others do this. Sloww, nothing you just said is a response to anything.

Slave ownership percentages were never high in Texas? Compared to what? Only a small minority of Southernors could afford slaves, after all, since being a slave-owner isn't exactly something a poor or average person can be. For the entirety of the South, James G. Randall and David Donald give "the total number of slaveholders in 1850 was o*nly 347,525 out of a total white population of about six million in the slaveholding areas."

If Texas had a lower percentage than that, it could be explained by differences in agriculture. Regardless, the outlawing of slavery motivated the Texas revolt and the Texans made sure to bolster slave-ownership in their constitution of 1836.

Comment

It was driven by States Rights, Al. "Older" has nothing to do with it, unless you're going to include the ability to reason in your analysis.
                              Never high would have to mean in comparison to where other slaves were located, dip****. It's kind of like comparing the wet of water to the wet of dirt if you do it any other way.
                              I've already said before that the slaves that Texas had were Native American more then Black. Instead of being outraged for the Native Americans, you argue that I'm full of crap. So **** you. I'd say you're the one that's a bigot. You try and push your perception of reality as being factual. It's not. You're merely misinformed. Since you won't listen and comprehend, I'm not trying anymore. I really couldn't care less about your perceptions of reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X