The Alamo defenders were mercenaries for slavery and imperialism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
    30%... never knew it was so high in parts of the US, it is about par with Roman empire... any higher and your state starts to crumble, unless you are Sparta that is .
    In South Carolina and Mississippi slaves were a majority of the population. They were also the first states to secede, oddly enough.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
      So, while Texas stand on slavery was horrible, it was not the reason for the revolution.
      John Quincy Adams speaking in Congress in 1836..

"the war now raging in Texas is a Mexican civil war and a war for the re-establishment of slavery where it was abolished."
      Texas historian William C. Davis..

"you have the same contradiction [that you do in] the Civil War, when you've got several million Confederate citizens and soldiers preaching all the rhetoric of liberty while owning 3 million slaves."
      Originally posted by PLATO View Post
      If stating such a simple fact makes me a revisionist in your eyes, then so be it.
      Yes, it does.

Comment

Blah

Comment

I take it that's a link to pictures of Sloww, Plato, Imran, etc...

Comment

Dunno, was the first I got, sounded somehow relevant. :shrug:
            Blah

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	hillbillies.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	9092526

Comment

holy **** the first replies are depressing. a well-thought out alternative theory of historical motivations vs. ad hominem circlejerk

Comment

There's nothing "alternative" about the history in Albie's OP. It's the mainstream historical consensus that the Texas Revolution was fought over slavery and the Mexican-American War was a transparent imperial landgrab.

Comment

I had the revisionist view given to me in school, but I knew better than to trust Protestants and their ****ed up lies. Texas is black hearted, born of the will to enslave, and fueled by human sacrifice on a monstrous scale.
                    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

30%... never knew it was so high in parts of the US, it is about par with Roman empire...
                      if someone could provide a credible source for the general % of population estimated to be in slavery during the roman empire, it would be very nice. didn't most greek city-states have like >50% slavery rating?

I really don't think support for imperialism (in general) as a concept can be explained as a reason for gaining Texas' independence from Mexico. Mexican government at the time was as "imperialist" as US government at the time.

Mexican (Spanish) areas at the time were very sparsely populated and the central government of Mexico didn't have much control over what happened in northern, remote areas such as California and Texas at the time. It didn't "need" the land in the sense that it could afford to send enough colonists there, so immigrants from U.S. slowly overtook it.

I hadn't thought about slavery as a reason for independence from Mexico, but now that Al mentioned it, slavery was indeed illegal in Mexico (AFAIK, the years were 1825 de jure and 1830s de facto; Texas secession was in 1845). and legal in southern US at the time. I think Al raises a very good point about the hidden agenda of the Texan "freedom fighters" of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                        There's nothing "alternative" about the history in Albie's OP. It's the mainstream historical consensus that the Texas Revolution was fought over slavery and the Mexican-American War was a transparent imperial landgrab.
                        You and the rest of the blame-America-first crowd make me sick.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                          Well, good to hear. It certainly makes more sense than the "hurr them monarchist spaniards, they hated american freedoms so noble rebels revolted and joined in the american democracy" version I heard in school.

I still don't think slavery was THE reason for secession and independence (and eventual US statehood), though. Texan' immigrants of the time were separate from Mexican central government culturally, racially and linguistically. Why wouldn't they seek independence or US statehood instead of being stuck as a province of a country that has nothing in common with them?

Comment

I never heard in school 'bout it. Damn krauts, probably skipped the revisionism part and moved directly to ignorance.
                            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                              You and the rest of the blame-America-first crowd make me sick.
                              Texas wasn't a part of America when it revolted from Mexico to preserve slavery. I also don't have much of a problem with transparent imperial landgrabs like the Mexican-American War, so I'm not really blaming America for anything there. Polk

Comment

In school, I was taught the viewpoint I gave in the OP. It was about slavery and it was used as an excuse (along with the Thornton Affair) for imperialism in the Mexican-American War. Which is why when I see glorifying of the Alamo, I'm just like
                                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                                X