X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

touche, your turn Slow

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      March 1836. During the Battle of the Alamo.
      So, after.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
        Texas revolted over slavery. It's the only state to secede from two countries because it loved slavery so much.

You're even more stupid than Al.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Can someone please read this to Sloww?

Economic origin of conflict

Cotton was in high demand throughout Europe and so a lucrative export throughout the southern United States. Much of the land being opened up to Anglos in Mexican Texas was well suited for cotton, but raising cotton was a labor intensive endeavor at the time, profitable only by use of slave labor. Many of the American immigrants from the southern American states had an investment in slaves and ignored the Mexican laws against slavery. The Mexican government had invited immigrants to Mexican Texas with the understanding that they would produce food crops, insisting upon production of corn, grain and beef. Former American settlers found such micromanagement of the land use to be opposed to their economic interests in slavery. They tended to ignore their contracts. If these were enforced, Texas slave-owners stood to lose a large investment in slave labor. While the vast majority of Anglo settlers did not own slaves, the few who did held considerable economic, political and social influence. Consequently, Mexico's prohibition of slavery was essentially unenforced.

Comment

Actually, I think that quote does nothing to show the reasons for the conflict. It appears to be the research of someone who is looking very narrowly at what happened.

A couple of things here. I don't see anyone defending slavery. What I see is a disagreement over why Texas declared independence.

It seems quite clear that laws against slavery were not being enforced (this from your own quote!) and therefore would not be a central reason for declaring independence. The status quo seems to have been working adequately for the slave owners.

It seems quite likely that Texas stand for slavery was more opportunistic than it was a root cause for independence.

Far more likely (and historically accurate I might add) is that Texas took part in a general rebellion within Mexico based on the creation of the Mexican dictatorship. This denial of local rights (State's Rights, if you will?) led to many provinces rebelling. Texas bid was successful and would have happened regardless of the slavery issue. The fact that they took the opportunity to constitutionalize slavery is a sad consequence of their success in the fight to determine their own destiny.

One small other item...Most of the Tennesseans were from East Tennessee...a region that had 70% opposition to slavery. It is highly unlikely that the Tennesseans that fought in the conflict would have done so had it been merely an attempt to promote slavery.

Quite clearly, some of us are not as "grossly ignorant" of history as others.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Hmmm, why would a slave state that was taking advantage of Mexico's weak central government to openly flout its prohibition on slavery suddenly decide to revolt in 1835 when "in early 1835 .. the Mexican government transitioned from a federalist model to centralism"? Let me think. Wow, this sure is a tough one to figure out...

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                A couple of things here. I don't see anyone defending slavery. What I see is a disagreement over why Texas declared independence.
                Then you're not looking.

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                Quite clearly, some of us are not as "grossly ignorant" of history as others.
                Quite clearly you are.

Slave population in Texas
                Year Population
                1825 443
                1836 5,000
                1840 11,323
                1850 58,161
                1860 182,566
                1865 250,000

Notice a pattern there?

Seriously you and Sloww should be ****ing ashamed of yourselves for this thread. You're not responsible for what people living a few centuries ago did, but this revisionist bull**** taints you by association.

Oh and Albie.

Comment

Welcome to Alby's little club.
                  Last edited by SlowwHand; December 30, 2011, 08:49.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

When the other club seems to be populated by slavery apologists, I'll happily hang with the Phillie jarhead.

Comment

No apologies given. I'm not going to argue with every new kid that comes here. I will say this, posting random numbers doesn't prove your point.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        No apologies given. I'm not going to argue with every new kid that comes here. I will say this, posting random numbers doesn't prove your point.
                        Who's new, and who's a kid?

Random numbers? You mean a set of numbers showing how as soon as the Texans shook off Mexico their levels of slave ownership absolutely soared? You don't think that might be relevant data to support their ambitions for joining the US?

Oh and..

No matter the time, slave ownership percentages were never high in Texas. Never. Texas has always believed in States Rights, though.
                        Originally posted by Wiki
                        In 1860 30% of the population of state total of 604,215 were enslaved.
                        30% not high enough for you?

Comment

Why are you posting the percentage of the population that was enslaved? Were slaves more likely to be slave owners than non-slaves?
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            Why are you posting the percentage of the population that was enslaved? Were slaves more likely to be slave owners than non-slaves?
                            Because its crappy revisionist wordplay talking about the number of 'slaveholders' as a proportion of the population. The only figures that matters a damn is the number of actual slaves, and the effect they had on the economy of the state. Texas was a nasty slave state that as Tupac already pointed out seceded not one but twice over slavery. What makes me angry is that this is history, it doesn't make todays Texans guilty of anything, yet time and again they can't resist trying to rewrite the past because of pride. That is not acceptable.

Comment

Here's a peice from the Texas State Historical Association. Nice to see some Texans being open about the past.

Originally posted by TSHA
                              White society as a whole in antebellum Texas was dominated by its slaveholding minority. Economically, slaveowners had a disproportionately large share of the state's wealth and produced virtually all of the cash crops. Politically, slaveholders dominated public officeholding at all levels. Socially, slaveholders, at least the large planters, embodied an ideal to most Texans.
                              http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/o...articles/yps01

Comment

Human history is one long chain of greed, lies and cruelty. Every nation has some extremely dirty linen in its closet. Some of them come out and admit it, while others, like the Turks, don't. Either way the dead people stay just as dead, so I don't care.

Apologist doesn't mean someone who apologizes, but to a person engaged in apologetics, ie justifying or legitimizing an idea to its detractors.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X