Pros and Cons of Proving God Exists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and Cons of Proving God Exists?

Maybe we are so focused on whether or not we CAN prove God exists, we don't stop to think if we SHOULD prove God exists.

Here are two pros and two cons to think about.

Pros:

1. If we prove God exist that will likely lead to more church attendance and revenue for the churches and their charitable work.

2. Transforms our existential dilemma into a simple set of rules to obey and goals to work towards.

Cons:

1. It makes the idea of "faith" obsolete. You can't have faith in something that you know. You can only have faith in things you don't know, once you know it, it becomes certainty. If you think of faith as the core principle of Christianity, than proving God exists actually destroys Christianity.

2. Maybe the existential dilemma is the point.

Feel free to add more pros and cons to my starters. The point of this thread isn't to debate, just to make a long list of pros and cons. We're not in the proving God exists business, we're in the listing pros and cons of proving God exists business, and cousin, business is booming.
    Last edited by Mojotronica; December 20, 2011, 20:34.

I don't think you understand 'faith'.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojotronica View Post
      Pros:

1. If we prove God exist that will likely lead to more church attendance and revenue for the churches and their charitable work.

2. Transforms our existential dilemma into a simple set of rules to obey and goals to work towards.
      I think you accidentally put those under pro instead of con. I'm confused by why 1) enriching the church even further and 2) everyone following a zombielike path, would be good things.

Cons:

1. It makes the idea of "faith" obsolete. You can't have faith in something that you know. You can only have faith in things you don't know, once you know it, it becomes certainty. If you think of faith as the core principle of Christianity, than proving God exists actually destroys Christianity.
      If faith mattered a ****, then Jesus would never have carried out miracles.

Feel free to add more pros and cons to my starters. The point of this thread isn't to debate, just to make a long list of pros and cons.
      Sounds dull, debating other peoples ones sounds better.

Comment

I don't think God allows us to know objectively (prove) he exists. We can speculate on why, but having faith isn't just believing things when we don't have proof. It's humbling ourselves and knowing who we truly are and what our relatktionship to God is.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Also, I wonder what proof would actually be. Would it be seeing God? Some people would surely say that he's not God, just a powerfull being from another universe or something.

Comment

we should try to get in touch with Nietzsche about this, he should know by now

Comment

If we knew God existed we'd have "faith" that he wouldn't flatten us on a whim.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This doesn't follow from proving God. Well, I guess it depends on which God. The Christian view of God is not some rule maker (regardless of what some would make of Him).
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Serious question Imran, do you believe in the part about the 10 commandments and all that?

Comment

What do you mean the part about the 10 Commandments and all that? That He gave them to the Israelites? Interestingly enough when Jesus comes around later He says that all the law can be summarized in his 2 Commandments - love God with all your heart, mind, and soul and love your neighbor as yourself. The Jews, due to Jesus not being around yet, had an imperfect view of God, though they tried as best they can. I believe that it was Moses's attempt to encapsulate God's desires after talking with Him. Interestingly enough, scholarly view is that the 10 Commandments appear to resemble a marriage contract in the Ancient Near East (hence all the jealous God stuff and all that).
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

If faith mattered a ****, then Jesus would never have carried out miracles
                      I remember a passage where Jesus laments mankind's lack of faith, always in need of signs or evidence

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        What do you mean the part about the 10 Commandments and all that? That He gave them to the Israelites? Interestingly enough when Jesus comes around later He says that all the law can be summarized in his 2 Commandments - love God with all your heart, mind, and soul and love your neighbor as yourself. The Jews, due to Jesus not being around yet, had an imperfect view of God, though they tried as best they can. I believe that it was Moses's attempt to encapsulate God's desires after talking with Him. Interestingly enough, scholarly view is that the 10 Commandments appear to resemble a marriage contract in the Ancient Near East (hence all the jealous God stuff and all that).
                        You didn't really answer my question directly. Do you believe the 10 commandments came from God?

You seem to be saying that the 10 commandments are inferior to their summary given by Jesus. How can that be?

Also, yes the Isrealites didn't understand God perfectly, nobody does. Despite the fact that God's own son came to teach us the way we all still do it our own way. God have mercyon us.

Comment

You'd think that, if God was both omnipotent and all-loving, he'd have sorted out these communication problems thousands of years ago, right?
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Good question. Why did He create time?

Comment

Pros: Jesus, Mohammed
                              Cons: Jim Bakker, Oral Roberts, Jimmy Swaggart

Comment

Working...
                              X