The Peyton Manning debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
    No. Freeman sucked last year. Flacco didn't and neither did Cutler.

ACK!
    The entire Bucs team was terrible last year. What real weapons does Freeman have? Mike Williams regressed and Kellen Winslow is a shadow. Blount was crappy, too.

Last year, we saw Freeman at his worst and he was no worse than Cutler at his worst (in his first season in Chicago).
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

What real weapons does Cutler have? Mike Williams would be a clear WR1 on the Bears and their TEs are blockers. Forte is good, but he's a check down guy.

Last year, despite all that, we saw Cutler produce 32 points per game during their 5 game win streak and appeared to be Green Bay's biggest challenge to repeating.

Then look what happened after Cutler was injured. Despite having several Probowl players, Cutler was the Bears MVP.
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
        What real weapons does Cutler have? Mike Williams would be a clear WR1 on the Bears and their TEs are blockers. Forte is good, but he's a check down guy.

Last year, despite all that, we saw Cutler produce 32 points per game during their 5 game win streak and appeared to be Green Bay's biggest challenge to repeating.

Then look what happened after Cutler was injured. Despite having several Probowl players, Cutler was the Bears MVP.
        Mike Williams played and started all 16 games but finished the year with 65 receptions and 771 yards... Freeman threw for 3592 so it's not like the passing yards weren't there.

You know who else had 700+ yards? Johnny Knox.

Mike Williams is not a WR1. He may still develop into one but how the hell do you consider a third year guy who never had 1000 yards and was awful last year to be a clear WR1 on any team, even the Bears?

A WR1 is supposed to get to 1000 yards right? Especially when his QB is throwing nearly 3600, plus Josh Johnson's 220 from his one start. He was the Bucs WR1 and couldn't do it. What makes you think he'd be better in Chicago?

Matt Forte, on the other hand, was dominant last year as a runner and a receiver. Checkdown guy? He still caught 52 passes for 490 yards in only 12 games. The Bucs have no weapon close to Forte.

By the way, Cutler only completed 58% of his passes last year.
        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; March 9, 2012, 17:30.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Freeman was a large part of why Freeman sucked last year. 2010 was likely a fluke for him. Tampa's D also did nothing to help at all.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
            Freeman was a large part of why Freeman sucked last year. 2010 was likely a fluke for him. Tampa's D also did nothing to help at all.
            So you think the Bucs have not committed to Freeman? You think there's any interest in Peyton Manning there? Freeman will be the starter for the Bucs at least through next season and likely until his contract expires after the 2013 season.

Freeman's ceiling is still there and it's high. We know where Cutler is at. We've seen Cutler. He's not going to look like Drew Brees anytime soon, no matter who else is on his team. His best season by far, his final year in Denver, he was not really that impressive. He just threw a lot (616 pass attempts) and had Brandon Marshall.

Of course, the Bears have committed to Cutler as well and are not after Peyton Manning.

I'm just not seeing how or why the Bucs would be interested in Peyton Manning? They have the guy they're trying to turn into 'the guy' for them: Josh Freeman.

Comment

I don't doubt Freeman will be the starter at all. I'm just saying, he bears some of the responsibility for his season, not just his WRs and ****ty defense.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                I don't doubt Freeman will be the starter at all. I'm just saying, he bears some of the responsibility for his season, not just his WRs and ****ty defense.
                A struggling ground game as well. Blount was not consistent this year. He did improve as a pass-catcher though.

Comment

After mid-season, that team was a train wreck. The defense totally fell apart, which spelled doom for any chance the offense had of running Rahim's classically conservative scheme.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Actually, I'd like to see Denver sign him. Can you imagine Tebow, mentored by both Manning and Elway? That's some combination.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                      Actually, I'd like to see Denver sign him. Can you imagine Tebow, mentored by both Manning and Elway? That's some combination.
                      What would be interesting is the completely different free agency route the Broncos will take if they get Peyton or not. With Peyton, they'd probably pursue passing weapons (Reggie Wayne? Dallas Clark? Maybe even Colorado-born, Northern Colorado product, Vincent Jackson)... with Tebow, they'd look to improve that running game and defense. I'm sure the Broncos hope they'll have an answer before FA kicks off. The direction the team will take will be much different depending on their QB.

Comment

How to alienate Jake Locker, Bud Adams style:

“He is the man I want. Period,” Adams said by phone from Houston. “And the people that work for me understand that. They know who I want. I want Mr. Manning with the Titans and I will be disappointed if it doesn’t happen.”
                        Really, Bud?

The GM and coaches have both said that they were happy with their QB situation with Locker and Hasselback under contract.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Kind of interesting -- about half the analysts are saying the trade of Brandon Marshall actually helps Miami in pursuit of Peyton Manning. But some are saying they are going all-in for Matt Flynn. The latter makes more sense to me.

I'm predicting Manning goes to Denver, with Tebow being traded to Jacksonville (whose owner rightly lusts for the attendance boost Tebow would bring).
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                            Kind of interesting -- about half the analysts are saying the trade of Brandon Marshall actually helps Miami in pursuit of Peyton Manning. But some are saying they are going all-in for Matt Flynn. The latter makes more sense to me.

I'm predicting Manning goes to Denver, with Tebow being traded to Jacksonville (whose owner rightly lusts for the attendance boost Tebow would bring).
                            I think it helps Miami in that it frees room for them to bring in Reggie Wayne or someone that Peyton might prefer to work with. Peyton has never actually had to deal with any diva WR's in his career since Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, etc. have all been quiet guys. I can see the logic there but I still think Peyton would want definite weapons.

And yeah from what I'm reading, Denver is making more sense than the other teams. The problem with Miami and Arizona is they'll probably only make the playoffs as a wildcard. By playing in the AFC West, Peyton would have his best chance at making the playoffs. Who knows how important that is to him but at this point in his career, I'm sure he values playoff opportunities more than anything else.

Denver fans will be frustrated if they send Tebow packing, though. Their minds will want Peyton but their hearts will want Tebow.

Comment

The ONLY way the fans would accept dumping Tebow is with somebody like Payton.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

With all the frenzy around Tebow it seems shocking that they are pursuing Manning so hard.
                                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                                X