How is Civ5 and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Civ5 and...

where are the Moo3 and Galciv and CTP and etc. forums?

Oh...and has Candy Bre hit the market yet?

Comment

Civ5 is worthless. Don't buy it.

Comment

Agreed. It's garbage.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Almost worth it when it's 50% off on Steam and you turn off City-States. Not quite though.

Comment

I bought it pretty much out of loyalty to the brand, couldn't stand it, then started re-playing it a year later (which was a trial in itself thanks to having to be logged in to steam to play it in the first place: I only wanted to play it because my internet was down!). It actually runs okay thanks to the "strategic view"- which is the best feature in any of the last three civ games, which reduces the graphics to simple icons rather than insisting that every unit be represented as a graphical masterpiece and animated in a laborious fashion. It's also quite fun, but the makers have really killed it for me by insisting that we pay extra for races that should have been included in the first place. I'll pay extra for an expansion and be happy to do so- but not £5 for 2 more races. Screw that.

Comment

I haven't played it since they started really "FIXING IT" but to me, they took all the wow out of it. The land specials were blah, the wonders weren't really wonders, and while I kind of like 1upt, it clutters the map. Especially since they charge Maint for roads, moving lots of units around is very tedious and difficult. MP still sucks.

I do like the policies, but they made them a touch difficult to get if you like having lots of cities. I hear they tweaked that. I think I'll wait till they put out a complete version with all the addons and it's in the bargain bin somewhere.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ha ha, suckers!

I knew it was going to be **** so I never bought it.
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I was a play tester, I didn't pay a dime.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

well I paid for it, and well I am not playing it... at all

I only play Civ IV BTS

Civ V could only possibly be good for newbies who did not play any civ before, so to them it may be interesting while they explore and do not hit the design limitations, or discover Civ IV.
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I still play it a bit. I can accept that major design changes like 1UPT and hexes and CS and larger city radii might take some tweaking to get right. But what really gets me is basic UI/gameflow idiocy like automated movement happening after clicking end turn, auto-cancellation of open borders without the option to renew, the build queue not being as easy to use and probably a bunch more I can't think of right now. How do you have something that's nice and functional and replace it with something that isn't?!?!
                      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        I was a play tester, I didn't pay a dime.
                        You didn't play it either

Comment

It's not worth paying more than bargain-bin price for, IMO. Granted, I thought the 1UPT thing was silly from the get-go (which, as rah points out, really combines poorly with the new road maintanence costs). I still don't understand what was so hard about the idea of a reasonable cap on units per tile that scaled with map size. Rah's also right about the lack of "wow" factor. Land/specials/wonders are really bleh. The city-states thing is a neat concept with poor execution (shades of CivIII here). Hexes are fine.

I went back to playing CivIV BTS, and not out of a dislike of change. Change is fine if it improves. Most of the changes in CivV are not improvements. Further, I don't really see much in the way of cool ideas that might fully flower in CivVI (if there is to be one). CivIII was a badly flawed game, but it had a number of new concepts (civ traits, great people) that helped make CivIV so great. Maybe city-states and hexes (perhaps with the addition of some limited ZoC?).

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Start of with BTS, add hexes, a better version of city civs, perhaops restrict the total number of units per tile, and Civ could be moving somewhere
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

1 unit per tile is silly. Limited units per tile is fine, but one is stupid. It makes moving armies too difficult and the AI absurdly stupid. The features in civ V that I like are the ability of a city to defend itself and the hexes. That's it. If they added that to Civ IV BTS, buffed up the graphics, and sold it as Civ V I would have said it was a great game and worth the money.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X