Government Employees Are the Scum of the Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government Employees Are the Scum of the Earth

The thread title is purposefully hyperbolic, but seriously, **** these spoiled bastards...

most dictionaries define a millionaire as someone with wealth (i.e., assets) of $1 million. By that definition, many New York teachers and the vast majority of police and firefighters are millionaires, because the “net present value” of their retirement benefits is well in excess of $1 million.

That is, if they had to fund their retirements from their own savings, they’d have to set aside seven figures today.

Few who don’t work for the government sector have comparable assets. Over the last several decades, the private sector has moved increasingly to the 401(k)-style “defined contribution” model, which yields a retirement nest egg based on what both employers and employees have contributed to individual accounts.

Public-sector workers, on the other hand, still rely on “defined benefit” pensions, which provide a guaranteed stream of income based on career longevity and late-career peak salaries.

A New York City public-school teacher earning $100,000 can retire at 55 with a pension of $60,000. A private-sector worker would need $1.2 million to buy an annuity with the same yield and starting at the same (relatively young) age, according to the online pension calculator developed by the Manhattan Institute’s Empire Center.

It would take an even larger nest egg to replicate the pension income of city police officers, who typically retire in their 40s. According to data posted at SeeThroughNY, an Empire Center Web site, the average newly retired city cop collects a pension of $58,563 — plus a $12,000 annual supplement.

(Of course, public-sector workers also receive lavish health-care retirement benefits.)

Few private-sector workers have anything close to $1 million socked away in their retirement accounts. According to the Federal Reserve, the average worker in his late 50s has a balance of $85,600 in his retirement account, and a net worth of $222,300 overall.

Gov. Cuomo, under enormous pressure from public-employee unions and Democrats in the Legislature to extend New York’s “millionaires’ tax,” is considering at least some higher taxes on higher income…

Cops and firefighters also get paid too much.

Let me be clear: Many public-sector employees — especially frontline employees like teachers, cops and firefighters — have difficult, important and often dangerous jobs. They deserve to be well-compensated. And, for the most part, they are. After six years, police and firefighters can earn more than $90,000, excluding overtime.

Comment

It's always good if you can attack or turn the working class against each other.
      What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
      What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

When I worked for the air force research laboratory my boss called the pension "golden handcuffs" - you could make more money and do more interesting work in the private sector, but past a certain point you'd be ****ing yourself over if you gave up your government pension.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I wonder if the same dynamic exists at the state government level, since I've heard that federal government employees (while still spoiled) tend to get less lavish benefits than their state counterparts because they aren't allowed to collectively bargain.

Comment

The only "collective bargaining" I witnessed had nothing to do with wages and had everything to do with putting generals in their place. "I'm a general and I order you to do whatever!" "**** off, we're civilians." I actually saw a 2-star general removed from his command for trying to command civilians (who then complained to Congress, who then complained to the 2-star general's 4-star general commander), which was awesome.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

There are a lot that don't make much and struggle to make ends meet.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                I wonder if the same dynamic exists at the state government level, since I've heard that federal government employees (while still spoiled) tend to get less lavish benefits than their state counterparts because they aren't allowed to collectively bargain.
                This is a strange post. Federal government employees ARE allowed to collectively bargain, but yes, they get less lavish benefits. It's most 401(k) type retirement (the TSP) for Federal government employees who started work after 1985 (or something like that).
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  This is a strange post. Federal government employees ARE allowed to collectively bargain
                  The laws governing local, regional, and national governments may allow government employees to form unions, yet prohibit them from engaging in collective bargaining over one or more rights or benefits such as pay, personnel rights, health insurance, or pension contributions, as well as preventing them from going on strike against the government. Both the federal government and some state and local governments in the United States have such rules.

Comment

greeced palms

Comment

"All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations when applied to public personnel management." - Franklin Delano Roosevelt

FDR

Comment

Cops and firefighters also get paid too much.

Let me be clear: Many public-sector employees — especially frontline employees like teachers, cops and firefighters — have difficult, important and often dangerous jobs. They deserve to be well-compensated. And, for the most part, they are. After six years, police and firefighters can earn more than $90,000, excluding overtime.
                        This really depends on where you work. 90k salary after 6 yrs is not true for my Department. Although, I do believe that what most people think about unions and salaries for Police Officers probably applies to NYPD, Chicago PD or LAPD.
                        What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
                        What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

The laws governing local, regional, and national governments may allow government employees to form unions, yet prohibit them from engaging in collective bargaining over one or more rights or benefits such as pay, personnel rights, health insurance, or pension contributions, as well as preventing them from going on strike against the government. Both the federal government and some state and local governments in the United States have such rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collect...ment_employees
                          The "such rules" is say preventing essential government employees from going on strike. Federal Employee Unions most definitely collectively bargain over pay, personnel rights, health insurance, and pension contributions - though because of the nature of federal employees, that collective bargaining looks more like lobbying Congress.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            The "such rules" is say preventing essential government employees from going on strike. Federal Employee Unions most definitely collectively bargain over pay, personnel rights, health insurance, and pension contributions - though because of the nature of federal employees, that collective bargaining looks more like lobbying Congress.
                            "The scope of mandatory collective bargaining for federal employees is limited to personnel employment practices only. Basic working conditions such as wages, hours of work, and employee benefits are instead subject to statutory provisions." - Civil Service Reform Act of 1978

Comment

Exactly what I said - because of the nature of federal employees that collective bargaining is more in the realm of lobbying Congress.

Which is exactly what state unions have to do with their legislative branches as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X