Christians ban interracial marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christians ban interracial marriage

A small Kentucky church has chosen to ban marriages and even some worship services for interracial couples. The Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church, located in Pike County, made the vote in response to a longtime member who is engaged to a man whose birthplace is in Zimbabwe.

Other pastoral leaders in the area were quick to denounce the church's vote. "It's not the spirit of the community in any way, shape or form," Randy Johnson, president of the Pike County Ministerial Association, told the Lexington Herald-Leader.

The small congregation, which usually hosts about 40 members each Sunday, held the vote after longtime member Stella Harville, brought her fiancé Ticha Chikuni to church with her in June. The couple performed a song together at the church in which Chikuni sang "I Surrender All," while Harville played the piano.

Chikuni, 29, who works at Georgetown College, is black--and Harville, who was baptized at the church but is not an active member, is white. Dean Harville, Stella's father, said he was told by the church's former pastor Melvin Thompson that his daughter and her fiancé were not allowed to sing at the church again. However, Thompson recently stepped down and the church's new pastor, Stacy Stepp, said the couple was once again welcome to sing.

Stepp's decision prompted Thompson to put forth a recommendation saying that while all members are welcome at the church, it does not "condone" interracial marriage, and that any interracial couples would not be received as members or allowed to participate in worship services. The only exception? Funerals.

The Harville family has formally requested the congregation to reconsider the interracial ban, and Thompson has also said he would like to resolve the issue, the area CBS affiliate WYMT has reported.

A copy of the recommendation, obtained by WYMT, reads in part:
    That the Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church does not condone interracial marriage. Parties of such marriages will not be received as members, nor will they be used in worship services and other church functions, with the exception being funerals. All are welcome to our public worship services. This recommendation is not intended to judge the salvation of anyone, but is intended to promote greater unity among the church body and the community we serve.

Members of the church held a vote on Thompson's proposed language, with nine voting in favor and six voting against. The other members in attendance chose not to vote.
    Gawker notes that Pike County is 98 percent white and home to the infamous Hatfield-McCoy feud.

The Harville family doesn't see Gulnare's new policy promoting anything like unity or civil peace. "They're the people who are supposed to comfort me in times like these," Stella Harville said.

And Stella's father was much more forceful in his denunciation of the interracial ban. "It sure ain't Christian," Dean Harville said. "It ain't nothing but the old devil working."
    Interdasting
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

****ing animals!

Whoops, sorry, wrong copy-paste poster.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

A few hicks in the backwoods of Kentucky are racists. No big surprise. I think that all those other pastors in the area denouncing it is a real positive sign. It wasn't that long ago that they probably would have supported it.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What that Kentucky church needs is for US Marshall Raylan Givens to shoot the **** out of those morons. Or for Boyd Crowder to blow it up with a rocket launcher.

Yes, I am looking forward to Justified coming back next month, why do you ask?
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Are those some atheist heros that we are suppose to know?
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Somebody who isn't in the lowest IQ quintile would have been able to infer that they're characters in the Justified series.

Comment

Meh, Baptists. In the US they're not necessarily Christians.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

In Kansas, they're not even necessarily Baptists.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

There's a lot of different baptists. We have a lot of black people in our church. I'm not aware of any interratial marriages but I think it wouldn't be a problem.

The church in the OP is Free Will Baptist. I doubt that all Free Will Baptists are against interracial marriage, but a lot of them are very conservative.

It probably doesn't matter to some, but the church in question is very small, and it's not the whole church, just some who are against interracial marriage.
                  Last edited by Kidlicious; December 1, 2011, 20:23.

Comment

What inspired you to spell 'interracial' that way?

Comment

Can I have two minutes to correct my errors?

Comment

What? Are you stalking me? That's really creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                          What? Are you stalking me? That's really creepy.
                          How's that persecution complex working out for you?

Comment

I've got three stalkers now.

gibbler, you should have already been on ignore just for the simple fact that you have never said one intelligent thing.

Now you too can keep posting messages to me, that I will never read.

Comment

At this rate you'll have the entire forum on ignore within a month

Comment

Working...
                              X