SMAX unofficial patch PLUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAX unofficial patch PLUS

The SMAX Unofficial patch PLUS includes latest Scient's Unofficial patch for SMAX (see http://www.civgaming.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7511) and it adds several bug fixes on top (see release notes below).

Download: SMAX unofficial patch PLUS

I finally found some time and ported a few fixes (from my previous work on SMAC) to SMAX, as I promised.
    The highlight is the fixing of the infamous energy stockpile bug and of the children creche (and brood pit) combat bonus bug. I decided to include the better terraforming algorithm from smac patch as well. The old terraforming is not exactly a bug per se, but the AI behaves so stupidly, that I simply felt obliged to do the hard work of transmitting a whole part of the code in SMAX as well.

The patch could not be tested (I have not a working copy of SMAX on my hard drive), but it should work allright. Still, a backup of your data is recommended. Unzip the patch into your SMAX directory, overwrite - and enjoy.

------
    release notes

version a
    - unit limit, changed by scient, is back (crashed the game)
    - automatic energy stockpiling bug is fixed
    - swapbase bug, which made the AI swap bases in a ridiculously bad deals
    - AI basic terraforming (and automated basic terraforming) completely rebuilt, should be more competent
    - children creche, brood pit combat bonuses now work like they should
    Last edited by kyrub; November 19, 2011, 13:47.

Hi, kyrub, do you have another link? I got the following error message in Firefox:
    Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (download) isn't associated with any program.
    In Chrome another tab opened, but nothing else happened.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Oh, sorry.
      Link fixed.

Comment

That worked. Don't know if I'll get around to trying it today, though.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

SMAX unofficial patch PLUS can now be downloaded from Apolyton. kyrub if you wanna update your file just edit the entry, update the description and upload a new file. It will become immediately public.

-Martin
          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Kyrub, don't forget that the unofficial SMAC patch could also do with abit more love

Comment

Re: Probe Skimship Bug

Hi Everyone,

10 year lurker. 1st post-better late than never.

Kyrub, just wanted to thank you for continuing work on the SMAX bugs. Its really appreciated.

I got a bug that I don't recall hearing about before and I can't seem to find the current bug list. So, sorry if you're already aware of it and if I've posted it in the wrong thread.

I had a probe skimship within the pirates territory and 1 of their cruisers sent me home. However, the skimship ended up in a land-locked base. The base isn't the closest, has never been a sea base, and so of course is not the home base. The home base which built the skimship still exists and is the closest sea base to where the skimship was intercepted.

As I'm on a fairly small island, I'm using these a lot. Anyone have any suggestions so that this doesn't repeat?

Comment

I imagine there can be a check for a colony being a naval base, but how do you check if it has access to open water? You still might end up with a probe ship on a lake.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I should have used the term "naval" or "coastal" base rather than sea base. It is on a river but no lake. Here's a screenshot.Click image for larger version

Name:	Probe Skimship.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	9092362
                  Last edited by Droom; December 4, 2011, 16:29. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Just to add: I have the naval academy so all bases have a naval yard. However, in this base as well as other landlocked, I'm unable to build sea units.

Comment

My blind guess is that the game checks for naval yard instead of water proximity. So naval academy is the source of bug - could you test the same situation without Naval academy?

Comment

Hi kyrub,

Thanks for the reply.

Using the SE:
                        1. I removed the Maritime Control Center so no Naval Yards. The probe skimship still went to the landlocked base (I'm going to call it "03").
                        2. Added a Naval Yard to the closest coastal base. It still went to 03.
                        3. Deleted 03. It ignored the base with the Naval Yard and went to another coastal base with no Yard (Not the closest, BTW).
                        4. Gave 03 to the Drones with whom I have a pact. It went to the same coastal base as above.

So I can only conclude that the Naval Yard doesn't seem to be a factor.

I always thought that a captured probe was supposed to be returned to the closest base. This doesn't seem to be the case.

I wish I could find out if this bug has been documented, and if so, where? If not, where do I report it?

Anyway, thanks for looking into it.

Here are before and after saves.Probe Skimship Bug.zip
                        Last edited by Droom; December 9, 2011, 20:18.

Comment

Patch seems to be Windows only. Is there a Mac version of the patches?

The patch appears to be for the Windows version of the game. Is that true? If so, is there a Mac version somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Nwabudike Acolyte View Post
                            The patch appears to be for the Windows version of the game. Is that true? If so, is there a Mac version somewhere?
                            None of the unofficial patches have been ported to Mac versions. AFAIK, there are no plans to do so.
                            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                            -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
                            X