Clear All

• Is Civilization for iPad any good?

Well?

I haven't played any Civ since Civ IV... from what I understand, the
    trend was/is towards simplification and dumbing down of the franchize,
    plus, games for iPad are generally simplified even more to accommodate
    the weak hardware and the touch input. For example, SimCity for iPad
    is rather underwhelming.

So, should I get this Civ for iPad thingie? It goes for $15 or so.

It's basically CivRev, so it's very simple, yes. I don't mind that since if I'm playing it on an iPod (in my case) I'm on the run and can't really concentrate anyway, but ymmv.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I'm going to make a complete guess based on nothing more than my experience with the other recent Civ releases and say... No.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

A definite yes from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
          It's basically CivRev, so it's very simple, yes. I don't mind that since if I'm playing it on an iPod (in my case) I'm on the run and can't really concentrate anyway, but ymmv.
          So CivRev was good?

The facebook Civ was bad. Worse than I expected even

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I cannot imagine CivRev (or Civ for iPad) being good,
            if it is very simple.

On the other hand Koyaanisquatsi has a point ...
            if you use it when your underway (for example in a train or waiting for one) some kind of full Civ IV session would be too much,
            and something that you can play simple and fast may be better
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
              So CivRev was good?

The facebook Civ was bad. Worse than I expected even

JM
              CivRev wasn't horrible, but it was very watered down. Sitting on my couch and playing on my XBox, it was too watered down...mostly a tactical strategy and I didn't get into the overly cartoony look and feel. I don't really play the iOS version any more, but from what I remember the simplicity worked well for the context. It lacks the immersion of a good Civ game, but you're probably not going to sit and play it until dawn on your iThingy anyway.
              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I bought the iPad version and dislike it immensly. No depth at all,
                cartoonish, boring & bad user interface.

Comment

Working...
                X