Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were the most memorable sports events that you attended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure many of the sports events I have been to are all that worth noting, but one that sticks out was the 1991 NHL Playoffs....

I was living in Winnipeg at the time while going to school, and a few of my friends and I had talked as the regular season came to a close how we were looking forward to going to a playoff game. As it turned out the Jets narrowly missed the playoffs, and all of our chances of see our first playoff game seemed to be gone. However, the day before the playoffs started, 3 of us talked about driving to Minneapolis to watch the North Stars first home game, and agreed to meet at something like 5 am the next day (the day of the game) & drive to Minnesota to watch it. I'm not sure any of us expected the others to actually be there, but we all met and drove to Minneapolis, actually making good time getting there, and then spent a couple hours looking for a mall (without finding one....I hope Mall of America wasn't around then or I would be embarrassed admiting we couldn't find the largest mall in America), before finally just heading for the arena.

The game was fun to watch, just being in the playoff atmosphere (and they had Cheerleaders, which were a treat for 3 young guys to watch as well). The North Stars beat the heavily favoured Chicago Black Hawks both that night and in the series and further went on to the finals that year, eventually losing to the Pittsburgh Penguins. When the game ended, we headed back for Winnipeg, and arrived as the sun was coming up. It was a long day, and nothing spectacular about the game, but if was a memorable moment, and I am happy we made the trip. 20 years later and it is still the only playoff game I have ever seen live.

/me
    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

The top one for me was Super Bowl XX in New Orleans. My family had four season tickets since mid-50's, but I did not start going until 1965. I was also at the Sayers 6 TD game (and many other big home games for Bears) but this was the best. We entered the lottery and got two tickets for NO but my father decided not to go, so my wife went with me. We had tickets in uppermost level of Superdome, but they were front row. We outnumbered Pat's fans 9-1. I remember Bears fan a few rows behind me who started complaining when Walter fumbled. I told him we would hold them to FG and wait ten minutes. He did apologize later for over-reacting. By time game ended it went from 80+ degrees down to low '50's (Bear weather).

Comment

1. #3 Illinois defeating #1 Wake Forest in Basketball at the Assembly Hall in Champaign, Il that started their season which ended in a loss to North Carolina in the title game. Everything about that Illini team was magical.
        1a. The NFC title game last year where the Packers beat the Bears at Soldier Field

Comment

Definite number one for me: April 2004. Nashville Predators' first ever home playoff game. The place was absolutely electric -- I'd never seen something quite like that before. Preds took an early lead over the Wings and never looked back. Lost the series in the end, of course, but it was an amazing experience.

Comment

Working...
          X