Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were the most memorable sports events that you attended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What were the most memorable sports events that you attended?

Not surprisingly, mine focus around the Michigan-Ohio State football rivalry.

In 1993, in my sophomore year of high school, my brother and I went to the game in Ann Arbor. OSU was undefeated and regarded as odds-on favorites for the national championship; the Wolverines were 7-3, and lightly regarded. Needless to say, we curbstomped the Buckeyes 28-0, and it was the proverbial "not even that close" game. Just a truly epic beatdown, and it was beautiful.

Two years later, I went with five high school buddies to the 1995 game. Once again, OSU was undefeated, and Michigan was middling. The student section featured not one, not two, but THREE separate Northwestern flags, because if the Wolverines won, the Wildcats would win the Big Ten and advance to the Rose Bowl for the first time since god only knows when. Michigan tailback (and Spelling Bee eliminator) Tshimanga Biakabutuka ran for 313 yards (!), and a relatively unheralded freshman cornerback named Charles Woodson had two second-half interceptions, including one on the Buckeyes' last desperation drive, and the Wolverines won 31-23. I still remember seeing Biakabutuka break tackle after tackle after tackle.

And then, two years after that, in my second year as a student at Michigan, it was our turn to be undefeated and #1; OSU carried one loss, and was ranked #4. Charles Woodson intercepted one pass in the endzone, and returned a punt for a TD, to ice his Heisman campaign. In fact, Michigan would score one TD a piece on offense, defense, and special teams, and would hold off the Buckeyes for a 20-14 win, sending the Wolverines to the Rose Bowl--and a split national championship. The student section rushed the field after the game; I still have the rose I brought to the game, my ticket, and a piece of sod from the goalline I took from the field. It was glorious.

How about you folks?
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Hmm, quite a few. I'm pretty old.

-Gale Sayers' 6-TD game at Wrigley Field, December of 1965. I was 12. My Dad got tickets because -- well, December in Chicago. Miserable weather; fantastic day. Fun facts: Sayers would have had a 7th TD that day, but slipped while making his cut to get past the last man (punter) on another return. Also, George Halas kept him on the bench on the Bears' last two scoring drives.

-1983 MLB All-Star Game at old Comiskey Park. Blowout win by the AL after years of NL domination, including the only grand slam in All-Star history (Fred Lynn). More memorable for me because it was the last game I attended with my late father.

There are plenty of others (I used to live a block from Wrigley and saw a ton of games there), but those are the ones that remain top-of-mind after many years.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The one time I got to see Trevor Linden, still have the ticket, have to dig it up. It was a christmas gift from my dad, and I remember it more because of who I took. Very sweet Catholic gal and we had a great time at the game. Of course in the hollywood movies I would end saying, but she's now my wife, but alas life doesn't work that way.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Life has a ****ty way of not working out like movies.

For me it was Strasmas.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Any bomb from Meredith to Hayes at the Cotton Bowl.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Comment

I also saw Jerry LeVias play for SMU. Pretty cool at the time.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

'93 Frozen Four (though it wasn't called that then). Paul Kariya, Jim Montgomery, Cal Ingraham (you haven't heard of him), Garth Snow and Mike Dunham. 42-1-2 season that ended in a national championship. Edit: **** BU.

Yeah, it's hockey. I'm from almost-Canada, what did you expect?
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

-Jr reminded me of seeing the Fridge tear the Lions apart when I was a kid.

Koya: college hockey
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Darrell Green and Champ Bailey came to my high school once. Yeah, that's all I got.

Edit: Oh, also, I used to play recreation soccer when I was a kid. One time, when I was goalie, I accidentally let a ball roll slowly between my legs and into the goal behind me. It was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post

For me it was Strasmas.
                      I recorded his first inning too. You can see the first of his amazing 14 strikeouts:

The whole park was just electric.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

While my older brother went to that Bears game that JR listed, I didn't
                        But I did see it on TV.

For me it was 1979 at Wrigley. The rubber game with the Phillies. The wind was cooking out that day and we were in the front row of the bleachers in left field. Neither pitcher made it out of the first inning. 11 Home runs and 10 innings before the Cubs finally lost 23-22. Schmidt hit the game winner off Bruce Sutter. (his second) Kingman hit 3 homers that day. The next day I clipped the box score out the paper and kept it in my wallet for a few years as a reminder. It was one of the longest box scores I can remember seeing. Almost everyone got into the action.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The tops for me was in 1987, 2nd year of Nolan Richardson at Ark. There were grumblings after his first season that he would not keep the Hogs at the level of the Sutton years. But in December, Danny Manning and the Jayhawks came into Barnhill, and the place was rocking all night long. My ears were buzzing like coming out of a rock concert. That was the night the Hog fans could see what Hog ball was going to be like. Kansas was like #2 or #3 at the time, and the Hogs won going away 103-86.

The other was late Sept 1998. Astros playing the Cubs during the summer of the long ball, Friday night of the last weekend of the season. Crowd was sellout in the Astrodome. Lima gave up a long HR to Sosa in the 4th inning that the crowd gave a standing O for. Sosa's 66th of the season. Later that evening, McGuire hit his 66th, and the crowd gave the TV replay an ovation. The Astros won 102 games that year than had another of their epic collapes in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Not attended, but the most memorable ever will be the Hogs beating Duke for the NC in Carolina in 1994.

Comment

Not nearly as impressive or important as the ones above, but I did attend most of the 2010 World Junior Hockey Championship. I was volunteering with the parking crew and got to see most of the semi final games and both bronze and goal medal games for "free". I had to work afterwards, think it was like -40C after the game.
                            Last edited by mrboo123; September 28, 2011, 21:53. Reason: to NOT too...
                            Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Actually, pretty cool.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X