X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL '11-'12 talk

Starting to get antsy for the season.

Anyone play NHL '12 yet?

I inherited a fantasy team in a keeper league. I get to keep four.

C Joe Thornton (SAN)
    C Mike Richards (LA)
    C Nik Antropov (WIN)
    C Andy McDonald (STL)
    LW Steve Sullivan (PIT)
    LW Alexander Frolov (KHL/NA)
    RW Martin St. Louis (TAM)
    RW Martin Havlat (SJ)
    RW Alexander Semin (WAS)
    D Bryan McCabe (FREE AGENT)
    D Victor Hedman (TAM)
    D Brent Seabrook (CHI)
    D Dan Girardi (NYR)
    D Mark Streit (NYI)
    G Sergei Bobrovsky (PHI)
    G Steve Mason (CBJ)
    G Ilya Bryzgalov (PHI)

Thornton, St. Louis, and Bryzgalov are no-brainers. That fourth one though... I can see arguments for Richards (new environment, more weapons), Havlat (if on Thornton's line, could score 35-40 goals), and Semin (could easily top 80 points; could easy miss 60+ games with injuries).

What would you guys do? I'm leaning towards Richards.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Seabrook, without a doubt. He's 26, had a breakout season last year (48 points), and this is keeper? Hellz yeah. Sign me up for some of that.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Is it simply a points league or are there other settings. I would lean toward keeping Richards as you are more likely going to be able to pick up good d based on most drafts I have seen-- Seabrook may survive a round or two in the draft. Richards will not-- The only way I change my view is if you are in a league where hits or other stats play into thing
      Last edited by Flubber; September 17, 2011, 11:26.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I need some help in my new league ( Overall I decided on 3 keeper leagues-- one from last year and two as a replacement manager picking up usually weaker teams). I have determined my keepers in my leagues where I get to keep 3 and the one where I keep 8 but I have just picked up this league and you get to keep 12. Note the stats (all shown stats count except for SA meaning there is an 8-5 player to goalie balance

G,A, plus/minus, PIMs, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits

Jason Arnott 17 14 -6 40 8 0 169 42
        Jamie Benn 22 34 -5 52 11 6 177 124
        Kevin Bieksa 6 16 32 73 3 0 105 104
        Rene Bourque 27 23 -17 42 15 3 218 90
        Alexandre Burrows 26 22 26 77 1 2 152 84
        Dustin Byfuglien 20 33 -2 93 24 0 347 140
        Ryan Callahan 23 25 -7 46 15 2 179 224
        Tobias Enstrom 10 41 -10 54 28 1 113 30
        Kurtis Foster 8 14 -12 45 14 0 182 89
        Sam Gagner 15 27 -17 37 9 1 138 24
        Mikhail Grabovski 29 29 14 60 15 0 239 44
        Jarome Iginla 43 43 0 40 30 0 289 103
        David Krejci 13 49 23 28 12 0 157 56
        Vincent Lecavalier 25 29 -5 43 28 0 210 93
        Matt Moulson 31 22 -10 24 15 0 237 84
        James Neal 22 23 7 66 10 0 212 159
        T.J. Oshie 12 22 10 15 9 1 103 71
        Dustin Penner 23 22 -12 47 8 1 173 90
        Mike Richards 23 43 11 62 21 6 184 104
        Marc Staal 7 22 8 50 11 4 116 140
        Ian White 4 22 3 26 6 0 138 59
        Brandon Yip 12 10 -22 54 5 1 127 77
        Travis Zajac 13 31 -6 24 10 2 173 56

Goaltending
        Player
        W
        GAA
        SV
        SA
        SV%
        SHO
        Brent Johnson 13 2.17 557 604 .922 1
        Miikka Kiprusoff 37 2.63 1753 1935 .906 6
        Henrik Lundqvist 36 2.28 1813 1965 .923 11
        Ryan Miller 34 2.59 1799 1964 .916 5

My take-- 3 goalies are easy choices-- FIVE CATEGORIES and one is actual saves which coupled with wins mean there is an incentive for having more goalie games

Richards Iggy Buffy
        Vinny Bourque Grabovski Neal Moulson

Then 1 of Benn, Enstrom Callahan ?

My thinking

3 goalies are easy-- Beyond that, I want guys with high shots and hits totals (I plan to draft some PIM guys_-- Chris Neal or Steve Ott types and maybe an actual enforcer guy that plays a regular shift) my hope is to dominate some of these lesser known categories but with guys that give me a shot at the other categories. I will recheck but I think I am keeping all the biggest hit and shots guys and they all have similar goals and assists as the folks I am leaving behind. I find SHP to be a bit of a wild card since most folks have so few of them but I don't want to ignore the category so I will see if its possible to draft a couple of guys that kill penalties as well as have attributes in the other categories

thoughts?
        Last edited by Flubber; September 17, 2011, 11:40.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Based on that list?

Lundqvist/Miller (KEEP)

TRADE: Kipper, Iggy, Buffy, Lecavalier, Burrows, Bieksa.

KEEP: Staal, Krejci, Oshie and Richards.

Dump the rest of the trash and burn.

Man, this team sucks ass. Good luck.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

Man, this team sucks ass. Good luck.
            IT did finish 8th last season under prior management but I have a hard time saying any team with Miller and Lundeqvist sucks ass LOL. When you take over a team you work with what you have and many of those folks are serviceable players when you have a 25 person roster-- obviously the prior manager went goalies first but I think I can improve on that finish

--- OH and why the trade Iggy?--He's good on G A, PP, hits and SOG-- the hits and sog categories add to his value -- except beiong older he is all positive -- who would you trade him for exactly??

-- and when you say to trade the rest of the team , who exactly do you expect to get in return? Should I package them all for Ovie, Perry?? Seriously though, Kipper would be a trade option for me-- I might see what I can draft in the way of an extra goalie to free him up (I am hoping to pick up a Pavelec or a Varlamov or Anderson perhaps)

I also have to ask what you see in Oshie-- his best year is 48 points with low PIMs, shots are low and marginal PP points. hes coming off ankle surgery and the best projection I have seen for him is like 56 points.; Half the list have that.
            Last edited by Flubber; September 18, 2011, 14:34.

Comment

KEEP - Jamie Benn 22 34 -5 52 11 6 177 124
              KEEP - Rene Bourque 27 23 -17 42 15 3 218 90
              KEEP - Dustin Byfuglien 20 33 -2 93 24 0 347 140
              KEEP - Tobias Enstrom 10 41 -10 54 28 1 113 30
              KEEP - Jarome Iginla 43 43 0 40 30 0 289 103
              KEEP - Vincent Lecavalier 25 29 -5 43 28 0 210 93
              KEEP - James Neal 22 23 7 66 10 0 212 159
              KEEP - Mike Richards 23 43 11 62 21 6 184 104
              KEEP - Marc Staal 7 22 8 50 11 4 116 140

This is what I'd do.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Flubber, I'm thinking your thinking is solid.

I did the same last year in my larger keeper (focused on PiMs, SoG, and Faceoff prowess). Lost in the finals.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  KEEP - Jamie Benn 22 34 -5 52 11 6 177 124
                  KEEP - Rene Bourque 27 23 -17 42 15 3 218 90
                  KEEP - Dustin Byfuglien 20 33 -2 93 24 0 347 140
                  KEEP - Tobias Enstrom 10 41 -10 54 28 1 113 30
                  KEEP - Jarome Iginla 43 43 0 40 30 0 289 103
                  KEEP - Vincent Lecavalier 25 29 -5 43 28 0 210 93
                  KEEP - James Neal 22 23 7 66 10 0 212 159
                  KEEP - Mike Richards 23 43 11 62 21 6 184 104
                  KEEP - Marc Staal 7 22 8 50 11 4 116 140

This is what I'd do.
                  No one feeling the love for Moulson and Grabovski? Both are similar in having recent 30 goals and close to 240 shots--

I think I will add in Enstrom (but how does a dman have ONLY 30 hits !!!!!) and Benn but I am not understanding all the love for Staal-- The Hockey news is projecting him at 28 points while the rogers group has him at 35 and he is nothing special on hits, SOG of PIMs from a dman. Are you seeing a much higher upside feeding up to Richards??

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                    Flubber, I'm thinking your thinking is solid.

I did the same last year in my larger keeper (focused on PiMs, SoG, and Faceoff prowess). Lost in the finals.
                    Well this team drafted a little later so it missed on the top 5 scorers and apparently missed out on the emerging players and instead has a bunch of middle level scorers. Everyone focuses on points but in this pool there are so many categories that a focus on the "lesser" ones seemed to make sense as long as I keep enough scoring to compete

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                      No one feeling the love for Moulson and Grabovski? Both are similar in having recent 30 goals and close to 240 shots--

I think I will add in Enstrom (but how does a dman have ONLY 30 hits !!!!!) and Benn but I am not understanding all the love for Staal-- The Hockey news is projecting him at 28 points while the rogers group has him at 35 and he is nothing special on hits, SOG of PIMs from a dman. Are you seeing a much higher upside feeding up to Richards??
                      Maybe I overrated him. I hadn't checked out the stats in detail.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                        Well this team drafted a little later so it missed on the top 5 scorers and apparently missed out on the emerging players and instead has a bunch of middle level scorers. Everyone focuses on points but in this pool there are so many categories that a focus on the "lesser" ones seemed to make sense as long as I keep enough scoring to compete

Last year I was able to get Neil, Cooke, and Stoll (FOs) in the late rounds. You should be able to go scoring early on if it's anything like mine.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Can you see last years draft and see how they pick?

This was my draft last year.

1. (11) Ryan Miller (Buf - G) K
                          2. (14) Tuukka Rask (Bos - G) K
                          3. (35) Henrik Zetterberg (Det - C,LW) K
                          4. (38) Ryan Getzlaf (Anh - C) K
                          5. (59) Tyler Myers (Buf - D) K
                          6. (62) Ryan Whitney (Edm - D) K
                          7. (83) Alex Goligoski (Dal - D) K
                          8. (86) Andrei Markov (Mon - D) K
                          9. (107) Ales Hemsky (Edm - RW) K
                          10. (110) Johan Franzen (Det - RW) K
                          11. (131) Mason Raymond(Van - LW)
                          12. (134) Brooks Laich(Was - LW)
                          13. (155) Jussi Jokinen(Car - LW)
                          14. (158) Tim Thomas(Bos - G)
                          15. (179) Jamie Langenbrunner(StL - RW)
                          16. (182) Mikael Samuelsson(Van - RW)
                          17. (203) Mark Giordano(Cgy - D)
                          18. (206) Sean Avery(NYR - LW)
                          19. (227) Mike Ribeiro(Dal - C)
                          20. (230) Tomas Holmstrom(Det - RW)
                          21. (251) Chris Neil(Ott - RW)
                          22. (254) Matt Cooke(Pit - LW)
                          23. (275) John-Michael Liles(Tor - D)
                          24. (278) Jarret Stoll(LA - C)
                          25. (299) Michal Handzus(SJ - C)
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

IT did finish 8th last season under prior management but I have a hard time saying any team with Miller and Lundeqvist sucks ass LOL.
                            It's really got nothing else.

When you take over a team you work with what you have and many of those folks are serviceable players when you have a 25 person roster-- obviously the prior manager went goalies first but I think I can improve on that finish
                            Oh, absolutely.

--- OH and why the trade Iggy?--He's good on G A, PP, hits and SOG-- the hits and sog categories add to his value -- except beiong older he is all positive -- who would you trade him for exactly??
                            Someone younger. This is keeper. You want the dude on the upswing, not the dude with his final hurrah. Iggy's value is high now to owners like Asher, so trade him and get stuff for him. Same with Bieksa and Burrows.

-- and when you say to trade the rest of the team , who exactly do you expect to get in return? Should I package them all for Ovie, Perry?? Seriously though, Kipper would be a trade option for me-- I might see what I can draft in the way of an extra goalie to free him up (I am hoping to pick up a Pavelec or a Varlamov or Anderson perhaps)
                            Depends on what you can get. Trade bait is always players who's popularity is greater than their performance. You can get underrated folks and fill up the team, since this team has quite a few holes.

I also have to ask what you see in Oshie-- his best year is 48 points with low PIMs, shots are low and marginal PP points. hes coming off ankle surgery and the best projection I have seen for him is like 56 points.; Half the list have that.
                            He's a solid player and he's what? 25?

Comment

Staal's got talent, and again, he is young. YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                              X