No announcement yet.

NHL '11-'12 talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would doubt if he makes the team, just because he's not very high on the depth chart.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well here are their D listed on the website....which do you think are likely to make it?

Code:
      Anton Babchuk  
      Jay Bouwmeester"A"  
      TJ Brodie  
      Chris Butler  
      Brett Carson  
      Mark Giordano  
      Scott Hannan  
      Jordan Henry  
      James Martin  
      Brendan Mikkelson  
      Joe Piskula  
      Cory Sarich  
      Derek Smith  
      Clay Wilson
      /me
      Last edited by Sparrowhawk; September 23, 2011, 22:25. Reason: * That was ugly
      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

My depth chart:

Giordano - Bouwmeester
        Babchuk - Sarich
        Hannan - Butler

----

Brenden Mickelson
        TJ Brodie
        Matt Pelech
        Clay Wilson
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Looks like Matt Pelech is lower on the Flames depth chart than you have him....he didn't receive a qualifying offer in June, and doesn't appear on their roster. If you are right however, with the big 6 and next three most likely to get the call in case of injuries or whatever, it looks like Martin can look forward to playing his entire year in Abbotsford.

They just announced on the radio here that Martin is off to Abbotsford, so it appears that was the intent of the contract today. I will look forward to hearing how he plays there (though it is kinda close to Riotville ).

/me
          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Didn't even notice, but Pelech is in the Sharks' system now as of this off-season.

Pelech is the nephew of Mike Gillis. Flames probably couldn't handle that stench.

Comment

Flames radio folks were referring to him as a depth guy with not a lot of real chance for this year-- The undrafted aren't usually that likelyand they are talking Carson or if he stays hurt Jordan Henry

Jordan Henry's physicality was on display on Tuesday night against Vancouver.
              CALGARY, AB -- If you asked hockey pundits in the summer what the Calgary Flames blueline would look like on Oct. 8, they probably would have scoffed and told you it was a no-brainer.

Mark Giordano, Scott Hannan, Chris Butler, Jay Bouwmeester, Cory Sarich and Anton Babchuk would have been listed as the top six guys in the defence corps. Brett Carson, who signed a one-way deal with the club in the summer, would likely have slotted into the seventh d-man position.

Now, a week into training camp, that is suddenly up in the air. Sarich (pelvis) and Carson (back) have both been hampered with injuries and likely will not be ready to suit up come early October. Sarich has been skating in the groups but has been wearing the yellow no-contact jersey. Carson hasn't joined in group practices yet.

TJ Brodie, Chris Breen and Brendan Mikkelson haven't shown enough in early preseason performances to be considered shoo-in's for a roster spot. John Negrin has already been assigned to the Abbotsford Heat.

However, amidst this uncertainty, one blueliner has stood out with his steady play.

It might just be Jordan Henry's time.

Acquired in the off-season when the Flames swapped rearguards with the Florida Panthers - 23 year-old Keith Seabrook went to the Sunshine State - and while it appeared the Strathmore, AB native was likely headed to Abbotsford in Seabrook's place, he's right in the mix to snag a roster spot.

"My goal coming into this camp was to make the team," the 25 year-old said. "One game in, I'm feeling comfortable. I just need to focus on my own game."

Standing 6-foot-2 and weighing in at 198 lbs, Henry has provided the Flames with a big-bodied, physical defenceman who moves the puck well. His focus is on his defensive game but he is very willing to jump into the rush if an opportunity presents itself.

His performance on Tuesday's 5-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks showcased his two-way game perfectly.

While in his own end, you could barely notice Henry and that is a good thing. He held the Canucks to the perimeter, used his stick well and made quick work of defusing any potential offensive strikes by Vancouver.

When he entered the offensive zone, your eyes were drawn to him. He either went steaming in on the rush or was roaming the opposition's blueline, looking for a pass in hopes of sending a blast from point.

However, the Canucks roster on Tuesday night could be described as a bare-bones when it comes to the number of NHL-ready players they sent to Calgary. As the preseason rolls on, he'll be faced with tougher competition and will need to continually elevate his game.

"Every night is audition and there are a lot of good d-men out here," he said. "We've got a lot of young guys that can play. If I take care of my job and play well, I think I've got as good a chance as anyone."

Henry spent the 2010-11 season in the KHL with Minsk Dynamo. In 36 games, he scored one goal and two points while adjusting to higher level of competition than he faced in the AHL. His time in Russia improved his mobility, defensive awareness and overall skill level.

"There's a lot of highly skilled, quick guys over there and they spread the ice out very well. It definitely helped my skating a lot. Hopefully I can bring that back with me and use it here on the smaller ice."

His time in the KHL is going to come in handy this weekend when the Flames play back-to-back games against the Edmonton Oilers. The kids up north are speedy, skilled and hungry to show that they belong in the NHL. Henry is going to be counted on to shutdown the offensive-minded rookies from Edmonton and he knows exactly what he needs to show the coaching staff and management.

"That I can execute consistently at this level," he said. "The first game was a step but you've got to step your game up the next time you play. I have to be able to go out there
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                My depth chart:

Giordano - Bouwmeester
                Babchuk - Sarich
                Hannan - Butler

----

Brenden Mickelson
                TJ Brodie
                Matt Pelech
                Clay Wilson
                Carson has to be in the mix too-- Apparently his contract is a one way
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Some classy fan in London, Ontario threw a banana at Wayne Simmonds tonight.
                  Jesus ****.

I hereby now and forever retract any and all statements I have previously made regarding the feasibility of a NHL franchise based in London.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Watched the Sharks and Canucks game last night.
                    They put Pavelski on the line with Thornton and Marleau. Some of the kids look promising.
                    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Some classy fan in London, Ontario threw a banana at Wayne Simmonds tonight.

Busted.
                      London's Breaking news, local headlines and top stories from London Ontario, Canada and around the world. Sports, Weather, Entertainment, Weather, Traffic and more

London Police Charge Suspect in JLC-Banana Incident
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I have less sympathy for Simmonds considering 4 days later he called Avery a ****** and didn't even apologize when called on it.

Comment

That had the irony metre bouncing around.

That being said, the point is everyone else and not necessarily the POS the comment or action was directed at, no?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Yeah, I don't care that it was Avery.

Comment

Some commentators in sports who were saying 'yeah, but it was Avery' seem not to get that.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Not even a fine for Simmonds
                                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Working...
                                X