Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure if this is the right Game website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if this is the right Game website?

This forum is confusing.....the game I need to ask about has NOTHING to do with Sid Meiers Civ games.

I am trying to run Call to Power 2, downloaded from Gog.com. Windows 7, on a Hewlett Packard model p6710f desktop. Crashes to desktop about every five minutes.

Originally posted by bearcat22 View Post
    This forum is confusing.....the game I need to ask about has NOTHING to do with Sid Meiers Civ games.
    Call to Power 2 is a civilization game, that's a fact. And as a real Civilization site we cover it.

I am trying to run Call to Power 2, downloaded from Gog.com. Windows 7, on a Hewlett Packard model p6710f desktop. Crashes to desktop about every five minutes.
    So, have you tried the Apolyton Edition? This fixed a lot of problems with the original game.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Hello

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann View Post
      Call to Power 2 is a civilization game, that's a fact. And as a real Civilization site we cover it.

So, have you tried the Apolyton Edition? This fixed a lot of problems with the original game.

-Martin
      As stated, this is the Gog.com download version of Call to Power II.
      I am finding that the game plays as poorly on Windows 7 as it did on XP

It freezes up during AI player turn, and cannot be unfrozen. Units can be selected but not moved.
      No menus will pop up. I've let the game sit overnight, and it never completes or contiues it's turn.
      A few times I was able to save the game, quit, and reload, but the freezing is happening more the longer I play. My machine is a HP p6710f running Win 7 64 Home Premium. Thank you.

Comment

As stated, this is the Gog.com download version of Call to Power II.
        I am finding that the game plays as poorly on Windows 7 as it did on XP
        So that is the version that comes directly, from gog, you did not put the Apolyton Edition onto it? In the Apolyton Edition we optimized the algorithms, so it should be faster. We also removed some glitches that caused long turns.

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann View Post
          So that is the version that comes directly, from gog, you did not put the Apolyton Edition onto it? In the Apolyton Edition we optimized the algorithms, so it should be faster. We also removed some glitches that caused long turns.

-Martin
          Not sure how to " put the Apolyton Edition onto it " Is that a patch? Because Gog almost always
          sells their downloads as having the most recent patch.

Comment

Not sure how to " put the Apolyton Edition onto it " Is that a patch? Because Gog almost always
            Activision released the source code of CTP2. The fans on this side used the source code to fix a bugs and improve the game. This includes also speeding up the game. The Apolyton Edition is the result of the efforts of the community. You can download it from our download section. You just have to extract the files from the rar archive and copy them over the default files of the game.

-Martin

Comment

I don't speak "computer"

Thank you for responding. You should understand that many persons like myself know NOTHING about
              computers...really quite literally NOTHING.

I tried downloading something from here, and it said to install it where the game is located. I have no idea if that is how it worked out. I am not 100% sure exactly where the game IS on my computer. I will say that the game still freezes up after this download, and it's driving me insane....I have hundreds of hours invested in this game.

Now, are you saying that the ENTIRE GAME is now available, free to download, here?
              If that is the case, it seems pretty strange that Gog.com is selling the game on it's site....why would anyone buy it if they can get the entire thing here?

Is there a Youtube online video tutorial, showing HOW to "install over the original game"?

Comment

Thank you for responding. You should understand that many persons like myself know NOTHING about
                computers...really quite literally NOTHING.
                Actually, I don't mind if you don't know much about computers, but I mind if you don't wanna learn anything about computers.

Then how should I treat people. Treating them like little children, treating them as they have absolutely no idea of computers? Actually, if you go to a forum, outside in the world wide web, there people assume that other people have at least some idea about computers, and usually that works. And usually, people know what a file is, what a directory is. So I don't have to tell them this, and franlly I have no time for this. If you don't know this look it up on wikipedia.

Then if you have used a computer and have installed a program, which I assume since you downloaded CTP2 and made it run, so you have installed it. And an installer asks you where to install your Program Files, on a windows there is a deafult location for that.

I tried downloading something from here, and it said to install it where the game is located. I have no idea if that is how it worked out. I am not 100% sure exactly where the game IS on my computer.
                When you installed the game the installer asked you where to install the game. The default option is C:\Program Files\Activision\Call to Power 2\. Well, this is only true if you use an English Windows, on a German Windows it would be C:\Programme\Activision\Call to Power 2\. And that wouldn't be true for a German Windows 7, there it would be C:\Program Files\Activision\Call to Power 2\. And again that is only true for a 32bit Windows 7, on a 64bit Windows 7 it would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call to Power 2\. And again all this stuff is only true if your system hard drive is C and not D. So there are many different names for the place where the game could be installed, including your own custom one.

If you don't know the location than you have probably used the default located, suggested by the installer. The default location can be guessed by the name of the program, by the name of the manufacter or by the distributor, which in our case is Call to Power 2, Activision, and GOG, respectively.

I will say that the game still freezes up after this download, and it's driving me insane....I have hundreds of hours invested in this game.
                Well, that's because you haven't installed it, yet.

Now, are you saying that the ENTIRE GAME is now available, free to download, here?
                If that is the case, it seems pretty strange that Gog.com is selling the game on it's site....why would anyone buy it if they can get the entire thing here?
                Maybe, I wasn't clear about that, the Apolyton Edition is a fanmade patch. So you still need the original game to run it, which comes either on a CD or from GOG.

Is there a Youtube online video tutorial, showing HOW to "install over the original game"?
                Sorry, but my time is limited too. And what what is so difficult to install WinRar, drag in Windows Explorer a rar-achive with the right mouse key into a target directory and select from the context menu that then pops up there the option extract files into that directory, or whatever this is called in an English version?

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                X