Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm now participating in an organized sport

That's right, Alby--a sport!

It's called "buggy", although the official name is Sweepstakes. It's unique to CMU. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegi...ns#Buggy_races

We build these:

and short girls get in them and drive them (even short guys' shoulders are too wide--drivers are always girls). They are unpowered vehicles. Pushers push them up a hill and then they free roll down at up to 40 mph. They're made of carbon fiber and magic.

It's the best sport ever. Oh, also, it's been played at CMU for over 90 years.

PS: I am enjoying college so far.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Do the drivers wear a cup then?

Comment

It's like Pinewood Derby of a different make?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

No, because pinewood derby is all downhill, so a heavier car is better. Gotta keep these light since you have to push them uphill first

Comment

Pics of cheerleaders - otherwise it isn't a sport
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I can show you the drivers...

By the way, if I recall correctly the duct tape is just there to protect the edges of the windscreen from scratches, it gets taken off before the race I think.

Comment

This is not a sport. This is something we did in cub scouts.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You did not build buggies out of carbon fiber and epoxy in cub scouts. Your pinewood cars did not travel at 40 mph. Cub scouts is by definition all-male. This by definition involves girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  You did not build buggies out of carbon fiber and epoxy in cub scouts. Your pinewood cars did not travel at 40 mph. Cub scouts is by definition all-male. This by definition involves girls.
                  Maybe yours didn't.

I never figured out why people who live in large urban areas like you do bother joining scouts.

It ain't nothing unless you live near the real wild. NOTHING.

Besides, while you were doing this in uni my brother was building (and driving) this:

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I can show you the drivers...
                    There are a couple of cuties there, so like ice hockey and american football, it may some time become a sport
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

ahahahaha, owned so hard!

so lemme see if I get this straight, you are either building a plastic boat on wheels, or are a pushing it up a steep hill, only for an ungrateful butterface to roll down in it, and to probably get all the glory in the case of winning? While people your age participate in extreme sports, trek around the planet and are generally having a blast?

Pretty cool, kid, pretty cool.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Video:

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

Evidence saved for future

Steven Weinberg

Comment

She was actually a Waterloo engineering student.

The team was suspended from competition for that photo.

Comment

Video:
                              What the ****? It's like a relay race pushing these carts around? And girls? Those all look like male sprinters there. How you described it is nothing like that video. Wait... is there someone in that tiny thing?
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                              X