This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    Former Arizona RB Tim Hightower was traded to the Redskins for 14-year veteran DE Vonnie Holliday and a draft pick.

Seahawks cut star LB Lofa Tatupu.
    Good for him.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Redskins have acquired running back Tim Hightower from the Arizona Cardinals for defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday and an undisclosed draft pick.

Interesting. Holliday is pretty old.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        Former Arizona RB Tim Hightower was traded to the Redskins for 14-year veteran DE Vonnie Holliday and a draft pick.

Seahawks cut star LB Lofa Tatupu.
        Our whole LB corp is bad right now and tatupu is over the hill.
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
          Bears sign former Seahawks Center Spencer, so Kreutz is done in Chicago.
          Who will Bears fans blame now?
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Management and coaches.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Gotta blame the GM, Angelo. They are way under the cap and a half-million apart on a 1-yr deal for Kreutz.
              Monumentally stupid IMHO.

He hasn't signed anywhere yet, so cooler heads may still prevail. (Or maybe I'm just hoping...)
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Knowing that I'm a big pessimist (realist) by nature, how hopeful should I be about the upcoming Lions season?

They seem to be a trendy wild card pick, and I just don't get why. Yes, the defensive line should be dominant. The back seven still sucks; the receivers consist of Megatron and any given warm body yanked off the street; the offensive line is mediocre on their best days; the quarterback is as likely to tear every ligament in his body as he is to throw a TD. What am I missing?
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                  What am I missing?
                  The Kool-aid? I think the Lions will make a run at the playoffs, but I don't know if they'll get in. As a longtime Lions watcher, I'll believe it when I see it. And then I'll do a triple-take.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Knowing that I'm a big pessimist (realist) by nature, how hopeful should I be about the upcoming Lions season?

They seem to be a trendy wild card pick, and I just don't get why. Yes, the defensive line should be dominant. The back seven still sucks; the receivers consist of Megatron and any given warm body yanked off the street; the offensive line is mediocre on their best days; the quarterback is as likely to tear every ligament in his body as he is to throw a TD. What am I missing?
                    I'm officially predicting the Lions will finish higher than 4th place. Presumably they get a soft-ish schedule. Adding Tulloch behind those stud tackles is potentially lethal. LeShoure gives them a nice thunder-and-lightning RB combo.

If you don't want to be bitterly disappointed, set your sights on a .500 season. But if they can keep the QB upright, they have a shot. Sure, why not?
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• The Lions are going to rock. If not this year, very soon.

Comment

• Albert, Bresus is a damn good QB. Pity the Chargers treated him like dirt so LT was robbed out of a superbowl ring.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Phillip Rivers is very good, but I don't see him on any commercials here. I've seen Brees.

Comment

• Winning the superbowl will do that. Not much Cherger hype out here.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Did you see the commercials with Eli Manning? They always had Peyton in them, too.

Comment

Knowing that I'm a big pessimist (realist) by nature, how hopeful should I be about the upcoming Lions season?

Lions suck.

The only thing going for them is that the rest of the NFC North seems to be in a malaise with no desire to improve. The Packers have made zero additions and lost defensive stalwarts Cullen Jenkins and Nick Barnett. The Vikings added McNabb but lost their best WR and will probably lose the Williams Wall. And the Bears, almost laughably, are stockpiling former first round busts and Cowboys rejects.

That means that, on paper, every other team in the NFC North besides the Lions has gotten worse!

The Lions secondary is still questionable. The addition of Eric Wright is a worthy flyer since Wright had some moments in Cleveland but ultimately was a disappointment. Durant and Tulluch are not elite but are good enough. Really, the Lions may be counting on hearkening back to the 2007 Giants with their defensive line. Remember, the Giants defense was dominant but only because of that super-talented defensive line that more than made up for a really weak secondary and linebacker corps. It's conceivable that the questions in the back 7 may not matter when you have a D-line like that...

Offensively, the running game will likely improve with Best and Leshoure. I would not be surprised to see the Lions play an almost Brian Billick in Baltimore offense with 2 TE's (Pettigrew and Scheffler), two backs, and Calvin Johnson as a lone receiver. It's not the most exciting offense but they have the personnel for it and it might protect Stafford.

Which brings me to the weakest link on the Lions: that china doll of a QB.

Whatever problems the other teams have, they still have Rodgers and Cutler (and who knows? Maybe a resurgent McNabb). That gives them a clear edge over the Lions and their quarterback.

The Lions will probably go 7-9 or 8-8, helped by the fact that all other teams in the NFC North seem to be regressing.

And, I have to ask, who is picking the Lions to make the playoffs? Wildcard? Not possible. Not with the current teams in the NFC. One of the big dogs (GB, CHI, PHI, NYG, ATL, NO, and even TB and DAL) would have to take one hell of a fall for a Lions' wildcard spot to be possible.
                                Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 1, 2011, 01:38.
                                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                                X