This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    It's not even next year, it's a 2013 fifth.

Pats play half their downs with a four man line, so I don't see it as that odd. It'd be interesting to see a DL of Ty Warren, Wilfork, Brace, Haynesworth. Lot of beef there.
    Scratch that. Ty Warren was released.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Sorry Al. VY isn't a developable QB. Atleast not without a 2 years stint in the slammer to wake his sorry ass up.
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
        Sorry Al. VY isn't a developable QB. Atleast not without a 2 years stint in the slammer to wake his sorry ass up.
        In all honesty, what's wrong with Young's personality? He's not malicious. He's not a guy who hesitates to put a game on his back. He's not a failure as a leader in the sense that he does make those around him better and they follow him (his win-loss record implies he has leadership ability). He's not lazy. What's his problem? He's overly sensitive and he cracks under pressure. He gets booed and he goes on suicide watch. He gets benched and he throws a depressive tantrum and storms out of the locker-room like a jilted lover.

Yes, that's a problem. It can be a big problem. And no coach should approach Young with kiddie gloves on like Jeff Fisher did for the first few years. But, I'd rather take Young's fragile psyche than Leaf's *******-ness or Russell's nonchalance.

I think Young is a lot like McNabb, but a little more extreme, in that he seems to need constant affirmation. At some point, McNabb seemed to channel that sensitivity into having a chip on his shoulder (the way he exploded out the gate after being benched a few years back is a prime example). I think Andy Reid knows how to handle a Vince Young.

Again, I'm a Giants fan, so I'm not seeing this with Iggles glasses on. I respect Andy Reid as a coach and I think he's the best in the league at developing quarterbacks. I see no reason why Vince Young's development on the Eagles won't be a repeat of Mike Vick's. If personality is going to be Young's biggest hurdle to developing into an elite QB, I think Andy Reid can handle that, as well.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Anyway, it's a good move for them, regardless. What other backup QB would be a better option? With Young, they have an experienced veteran who can step up if Vick gets hurt, can play the same gameplan as Vick, and they take a flyer on the development of one of the most athletically gifted QB's in the league who does have a 30-17 record as a starter.

Who else out there would be a better fit/opportunity?

Comment

No coach can develope any player that doesn't want to improve.

Nobody would fit better. It's just that I don't see 'the sky's the limit' with Young just because he is now under Reid's tuteledge.
            Last edited by Donegeal; July 29, 2011, 17:36. Reason: no need for an additional post.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

The way Vick exploded sent jaws dropping to the floor. If any coach can develop Vince Young, it'll be Andy Reid. We'll see what happens.

If we had this same discussion last year about Vick, I'm sure you would be saying "It's just that I don't see 'the sky's the limit' with Vick just because he is now under Reid's tutelage".

Comment

The Jets appear to be out of the Asomugha stakes. Too bad. It would have been fascinating to see how offenses would have dealt with the CB tandem of Revis and Asomugha.

Meanwhile, the Bears, after bringing in the worst hands at WR over the past 3 seasons (look up Roy Williams' drops per target), are going to sign bust Vernon Gholston. The former 6th overall pick has 0 sacks in 3 years in one of the league's best defensive systems. At least he probably no longer commands anywhere near 6th overall pick money.

Comment

Wow Madness!

One day after acquiring Pro Bowl cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie from the Cardinals, the Eagles signed another Pro Bowl cornerback, Nnamdi Asomugha, to a five-year contract, the team announced Friday.

Nnamdi Asomugha has agreed to a contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

The deal is worth $60 million over five years, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

As if they didn't just get DRC from the Kolb trade!

Comment

And new rookie pay scale

Cam Newton signed for relative peanuts:

The Carolina Panthers and No. 1 overall pick Cam Newton reached an agreement on a four-year deal worth over $22 million that is fully guaranteed, according to a source.

Newton's contract is worth $56 million less in overall money than the St. Louis Rams gave Sam Bradford, last year's No. 1 overall pick, and roughly $28 million less in guaranteed money than Bradford's deal.
                    It was that savings that allowed the Panthers to re-sign some of their top talent like DeAngelo Williams and Charles Johnson.

Comment

Thank God. Although I doubt he'll be worth even that.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                        Thank God. Although I doubt he'll be worth even that.
                        He's probably disappointed in the big shortfall compared to being a #1 pick last year but this will give him a better chance to succeed in Carolina.

The Panthers seem to want to go smashmouth with their offense, bringing in TE's Shockey, Olsen, and Ben Hartsock. Looks like they'll be playing a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets, running the ball, and letting Newton get comfortable with his big TE's. It's not an unfavorable circumstance for a rookie QB, actually.

If Ron Rivera's presence to the Carolina defense is analogous to when Rex Ryan came to NY, Newton may actually do well.

I was very bearish on him previously but the circumstances intrigue me.

Comment

Bears sign DT Anthony Adams and LB Nick Roach after getting Roy Williams. Still no word on Olin Kreutz, but that also means he hasn't left yet either. They need him there to anchor that line for at least one more year, so they better not lowball him.

They also sign DE Vernon Gholston who was the 6th overall pick in 2008, but hasn't had a sack in three years in the league. Lovie's comment is typical of him: “Is that what happened with the Jets?” Smith deadpanned, refusing to look backwards. “We looked [at Gholston] and saw a talented player…. We’re going to put him in a position where we think he’ll have more success." He goes on to say that he will be a hand down rusher rather than a stand up rusher. I hope that will make a difference, but we've heard that before.

Comment

The Bears I guess Lovie Smith & Co. are pretty satisfied with how they did last year.

Comment

I hate to interrupt your rambling, Al, but I don't think this was noted.

METAIRIE, La. -- Drew Brees has a history with Darren Sproles and didn't hesitate to exploit it when it became clear that Reggie Bush wouldn't be back in New Orleans.

"I pulled out all the stops," Brees said of his effort to attract Sproles, a 5-foot-6 running back and return man who agreed to a four-year, $14 million free-agent deal with the Saints on Thursday.
                              The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Those little guys stick together.
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X