X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty amusing. I'm a big fan of "flaux charts."
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Hasselbeck out of Seattle, Tarvaris Jackson in. That screws the Eagles plans of leveraging Arizona and Seattle against each other in the Kolb stakes while Arizona has made it clear they're interested in Orton, as well. Kolb for Rodgers-Cromartie had seemed like a foregone conclusion before the lockout ended but now it's looking like the Cardinals aren't going to offer what the Eagles want for Kolb. Larry Fitzgerald is probably weeping.

The Redskins resigned Santana Moss so looking more likely that Santonio Holmes will remain a Jet.

EDIT: The Seahawks have also signed Matt Leinart, reuniting him with Pete Carroll. That's a 3-way starting QB battle now in Seattle.
      Last edited by Al B. Sure!; July 26, 2011, 18:52.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Tallest midget competition. Seattle fans are probably weeping.
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
          Tallest midget competition. Seattle fans are probably weeping.
          They shouldn't be. They still play in the NFC West.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The Giants are discussing a potential return to New York with their former wide receiver Plaxico Burress, according to team sources.
            I'm not sure the Giants need him because even if Steve Smith's injury limits him, Plaxico isn't really the type of receiver to fit into his cleats as a short-yardage, Amani Toomer-like possession receiver. What Plaxico brings to the table the Giants already have with Hakeem Nicks and even Mario Manningham (not to mention what they hoped they had with Ramses Barden).

Also, it seems like wrong priorities for the Giants who cut a bunch of starting linemen and are quite a bit over the new cap.

Still, keeping Plaxico out of the Eagles' receiving corps is a plus.

Maybe I'll be able to dust off my old Plaxico Burress jersey

Comment

Classic:

Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan is adamant that relatively unknown John Beck(notes) can be his team's starting quarterback this season. The rest of Washington, D.C., has been a little slower to embrace him.

Beck showed up to Redskins Park on Monday to try to meet with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, but he wasn't allowed to enter the building. The security guy at the gate had no idea he was the Redskins quarterback. From Mike Jones at the Washington Post:

He was turned away at the security gate by a guard, who didn't even know who he was.

Beck was told that players can't report until Tuesday morning, and left slightly disappointed, but not offended.

"I'm OK with that," Beck said of not being recognized when reached this afternoon. "I haven't done anything yet."

If I was in the security guy's shoes that day, I believe I'd have done the same thing. I'm not sure I'd recognize John Beck if he walked into my kitchen right now and started making me waffles.

Beck was drafted in the second round of the 2007 draft by the Dolphins. In two years with the Fish, he started just four games (with a spotless 0-4 record) and was unable to beat out Chad Pennington(notes), Chad Henne(notes) or the great Cleo Lemon(notes) for playing time. He spent 2009 wearing a Ravens uniform, but never got on the field.

In 47 days, he could be starting for the Redskins.
              http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/John-Beck-was-unrecognized-and-turned-away-at-Re?urn=nfl-wp3923

Comment

Cowboys cut Williams, Barber, Davis to reach salary cap

IRVING -- Roy Williams. Gone.
                Leonard Davis. Gone.
                Marion Barber. Gone.
                Kris Brown. Gone.
                Marc Colombo?
                The Dallas Cowboys made up for four months of inactivity with a flurry of moves Tuesday to clear salary cap space and remake the identity of their roster.
                They were roughly $18 million over the 2011 salary cap of $120 million when football officially reopened for business on Monday after the owners and players ended the lockout with a new collective bargaining agreement.
                The first order of business was to clear cap room so they could sign free agents, including left tackle Doug Free, who agreed to terms late Tuesday, and their draft picks.
                Cuts were expected to be made, but no one expected them to go this deep so quickly.
                With the players scheduled to report to training camp in San Antonio today and the first practice at the Alamodome set for Thursday, the Cowboys didn't waste any time in ushering in Black Tuesday at the team's Valley Ranch training complex.
                Owner Jerry Jones informed running back Marion Barber, guard Leonard Davis, kicker Kris Brown and receiver Roy Williams that they will all be released for salary cap reasons.
                The Cowboys had planned to do the same with tackle Marc Colombo, but he is hoping to rework his deal and come back at a reduced salary.
                The Cowboys can't officially make the cuts until Thursday, but the players were notified so they wouldn't show up for camp.
                It's the first camp as head coach for Jason Garrett and he gets started with a younger roster and players ready to buy into his preaching of hard work and preparation.
                The Cowboys saved about $15.7 million with three moves. Davis, Williams and Barber netted individual cap savings of $6 million, $5 million and $4.7 million, respectively.
                Brown was due $910,000 salary this year so that puts the day's savings at $16.6 million.
                Clearly, the biggest name on the list was Williams because of his big salary and the bushel of draft picks the Cowboys gave to Detroit to get him in 2008.
                Williams did not come close to offering a return on the investment and was actually very understanding when Jones called him at his home in Dallas to let him know he was being released for salary-cap reasons.
                "It is a business," Williams said. "It is what it is. It's a business. I would have done the same thing."
                In 40 games with the Cowboys, Williams had 94 catches for 1,324 yards and 13 touchdowns.
                He was going to be the third receiver in 2011, behind Dez Bryant and Miles Austin.
                "It wasn't even close to what I thought it was going to be," Williams said. "I appreciated the opportunity Mr. Jones gave me. I got a chance to play with three of the best players I have ever seen in Jason Witten, Jay Ratliff and DeMarcus Ware. It was a great opportunity. But it's over. It didn't work out here. It will work out somewhere."
                Barber's release was long expected, considering he had been replaced in the starting lineup by Felix Jones and was scheduled to make a $4.25 million base salary and a $500,000 bonus.
                He had a career-low 113 carries, 374 rushing yards and four touchdowns last season and has never had a 1,000-yard season in his six seasons despite the Cowboys signing him to a seven-year, $45 million deal in 2008 that included $16 million in guaranteed money.
                The presence of Tashard Choice and the drafting of rookie DeMarco Murray made Barber even more expendable.
                Davis' play has declined. He earned three consecutive Pro Bowls after signing a $49 million contract with the Cowboys in 2007.
                His release was somewhat of a surprise because there is no clear-cut replacement for him in the lineup with left guard Kyle Kosier being a free agent. The Cowboys could re-sign Kosier and move Montrae Holland into Davis' spot.
                There is still a chance Davis could come back at a reduced salary, but only after he tests the free-agent market.
                Coming back at a reduced salary is the aging and injury-prone Colombo's only hope of returning to the Cowboys in 2011. He is due a $500,000 roster bonus and $1.9 million base salary. The Cowboys took Tyron Smith in the first round and gave him the starting job at right tackle.
                Brown, signed at the end of last season to compete with kicker David Buehler, became expendable when the Cowboys found cheaper competition on the rookie free agent market, signing Oklahoma State kicker Dan Bailey.
                Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Roy Williams gone, thank God!
                We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Hasselbeck is a Titan. McNabb is a Viking. Holmes remains a Jet.

Comment

Contrary to initial reports, Matt Leinart has agreed to a new contract with the Texans. Guess Tarvaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst will be Seattle's options. I guess Jackson will be the opening day starter since Seattle didn't bring him in if they were too confident in Whitehurst who didn't really show anything last year.

DeAngelo Williams will remain in Carolina.

After agreeing to send McNabb to Minnesota, the Redskins signed Kellen Clemens.

Tyler Thigpen signed with Buffalo.

EDIT:

The Bengals are moving on from Carson Palmer, bringing in Bruce Gradkowski to mentor rookie Andy Dalton.

On the WR front, the Redskins, after re-signing Santana Moss, sign Jabar Gaffney and Donte Stallworth.

Meanwhile, Plaxico Burress looks to return to one of his former teams as both the Giants and Steelers have expressed interest in bringing him back.

Steve Breaston has signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

EDIT 2:

Miami and Denver are discussing sending Kyle Orton to Miami to reunite with Brandon Marshall. Kolb to the Cardinals also looks probable.

EDIT 3:

Sidney Rice is the newest Seattle Seahawk. That's another point towards the idea that the Seahawks think Tarvaris Jackson can be their starter in 2011.

McNabb's probably disgruntled that he will once again have no receivers
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; July 27, 2011, 20:26.

Comment

And what is the value of a Donovan McNabb in 2011?

Donovan McNabb to the Vikings in exchange for a 2012 sixth-round pick and conditional sixth-rounder in 2013
                      Re: EDIT 3...
                      A) I can't believe Rice went to Seattle! 5 yrs, $41million, $18MM guarantted.
                      B) McNabb is happy to be employed, I'm sure. And he'll not be totally without resources.
                      Last edited by -Jrabbit; July 27, 2011, 22:15.

Comment

On top of that, the Vikings really wanted Tyler Thigpen. McNabb was a second choice. Knowing that won't bode well for McNabb's psyche. For right or wrong, McNabb seems to think he's been continually disrespected, and to now go to the Vikings for peanuts as a second option after Thigpen signed with Buffalo, with the Vikings making it clear they want to restructure McNabb's contract, and with the Vikings having just shipped off their only viable #1 receiver to Seattle... McNabb has to be a little frustrated.

Comment

He had his shot(s). He's not what he once was, but should be perfectly serviceable -- if he stays healthy.
                          As it sets up, he's basically the caretaker until Ponder's ready.

Comment

The Saints and Dolphins have agreed to a trade that will send Reggie Bush to Miami.

With Orton throwing to Marshall, Bess, Hartline, and Bush, Miami could be a nice passing team this season.

Comment

I love seeing the Bears make such a big splash in the FA market during the biggest FA market ever!
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                Contrary to initial reports, Matt Leinart has agreed to a new contract with the Texans. Guess Tarvaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst will be Seattle's options. I guess Jackson will be the opening day starter since Seattle didn't bring him in if they were too confident in Whitehurst who didn't really show anything last year.

DeAngelo Williams will remain in Carolina.

After agreeing to send McNabb to Minnesota, the Redskins signed Kellen Clemens.

Tyler Thigpen signed with Buffalo.

EDIT:

The Bengals are moving on from Carson Palmer, bringing in Bruce Gradkowski to mentor rookie Andy Dalton.

On the WR front, the Redskins, after re-signing Santana Moss, sign Jabar Gaffney and Donte Stallworth.

Meanwhile, Plaxico Burress looks to return to one of his former teams as both the Giants and Steelers have expressed interest in bringing him back.

Steve Breaston has signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

EDIT 2:

Miami and Denver are discussing sending Kyle Orton to Miami to reunite with Brandon Marshall. Kolb to the Cardinals also looks probable.

EDIT 3:

Sidney Rice is the newest Seattle Seahawk. That's another point towards the idea that the Seahawks think Tarvaris Jackson can be their starter in 2011.

McNabb's probably disgruntled that he will once again have no receivers

Holy crap, what is going on? Is it just that everything was put on hold the last year so an entire off-season's worth of trades are being done in a week, or did something change in the CBA that prompted this flurry of moves?
                                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                                X