Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thing is that you get a starting RB-level of production out of Tebow and that makes up for the shortfall from 10 basis points less completions and whatever else Orton can do better than Tebow as a passer. Then you throw in the threat of the run that forces opposing defenses to take men out of coverage and into containment and I'd be inclined to give the nod to Tebow in terms of which QB gives the Broncos the best chance to win.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Moving on...

Former NFL defensive star Bubba Smith, who found a successful second career as an actor, died Wednesday in Los Angeles at age 66. Los Angeles County coroner's spokesman Ed Winter said Smith was found dead at his Baldwin Hills home. Winter said he didn't know the circumstances or cause of death.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Moving on?

What? I want to hear why Orton can win games for the Broncos and Tebow can't? Orton puts up good numbers but he's 11-17 as a starter in Denver.

I don't think it far-fetched at all that Tebow can pull off a Vince Young and win games. Tebow has the same physical ability as VY but is a much tougher leader.

I'll share with you my mindset: While others debate about Marino or Montana, I think Steve Young was the greatest QB of all time. When I appraise QB's, I compare them to him. There's 3 attributes I believe a modern West Coast-era QB should possess and Steve Young embodied them fully: accuracy/efficiency, mobility, and physical fearlessness. It's been very rare for a QB to combine the three (Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Jeff Garcia, and 2010 Vick are the closest; though Josh Freeman is looking a little like it) but when a guy has at least the last two, I take notice. Accuracy will come, but mobility and fearlessness can't be learned. If a guy has that... if you can legitimately see him on the field looking like this:

Then that is a QB I'd take 10 times out of 10. Mark Sanchez is that QB. Tim Tebow is that QB. Okay, maybe Troy Smith and Colt Brennan were those QB's and I was wrong about their ceilings. Maybe I'm wrong about Sanchez and Tebow but they are 2 out of 3 on my "Steve Young-likeness Test" and I think the accuracy will come to both of them as they develop.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I saw one Tebow game last year. He sucked. Didn't realize he's 6-3. I thought he was 6-0 or 6-1. My bad.
          Look, they drafted him #1; he's going to get his shot. Management just needs to decide when.

It would be nice if they were fair to Orton along the way.

I'm not going to defend Orton. He's been asked to shoulder the burden of a horrendous (and badly injured) defense. Not to mention the 5th-string RBs (26th in rushing as team). Orton's a decent QB. He's a pretty tough guy, but seems to get hurt around Week 9 or 10 every year. (BTW, Denver gave up 12 sacks in 2008. In 2010, 40.)

So this would be my target timeline -- whenever Orton inevitably goes down with an ankle or whatever. Less pressure on an injury replacement than throwing an admitted project into the fire Week 1.
          Last edited by -Jrabbit; August 3, 2011, 21:42.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
            I saw one Tebow game last year. He sucked. Didn't realize he's 6-3. I thought he was 6-0 or 6-1. My bad.
            Look, they drafted him #1; he's going to get his shot. Management just needs to decide when.

It would be nice if they were fair to Orton along the way.
            I'm trying to figure out which game you saw?

It definitely wasn't the 308 yard game... was it his first career start where he threw for 138 1 TD 0 INT and ran for another 78 yards and a TD? Nah, that's actually pretty impressive for a rookie's first career start! Was it the 205 yard 2 TD 2 INT game? Okay, he was under 50% in that game and did throw those 2 picks to go with his 2 TDs... but he also had 13 carries for 94 yards and a TD!

I'm not sure 205 yards passing 2TD 2INT with 94 yards rushing and a rushing TD is 'sucking' by anyone's definition.

In fantasy, that's a pretty damn good day. In real life, that's 299 yards and 3 scores in a slim 3 point loss to the divisional rival Chargers. Umm... that's a good day in real life, especially for a rookie's 3rd career start against the league's top offense and defense and a divisional rival to boot!

Comment

• Don't judge Tebow by the standards of a pocket passer. Judge him by the standard of a scrambler who doesn't need to have the best passing numbers.

Look hard at the following and then look back at Tebow's numbers:

How did Vick do in his first 3 starts?
              4/12 32 yards 1 TD 2 rushes for 4 yards (yes, Vick started this game, though you couldn't tell by the stat-line)
              12/30 176 yards 0 TD 1 INT 6 rushes for 47 yards
              (second season) 15/23 209 yards 1 TD 9 for 72 with a TD

VY:
              14/29 155 yards 1 TD 2 INT 5 for 3 yards
              10/21 63 yards 1 INT 4 for 43 yards 1 TD
              13/25 161 yards 1 TD 7 for 9 yards

McNabb:
              8/21 60 yards 9 for 49 yards
              19/36 165 yards 1 TD 2 INT 3 for 13 yards
              16/28 172 yards 2 TDs 8 for 71 yards

Tebow:
              8/16 138 1 TD 8 for 78 1 TD
              16/29 308 1 TD 1 INT 10 for 27 1 TD
              16/36 205 2 TD 2 INT 13 for 94 1 TD

Tebow's first 3 starts are better than the first 3 starts of McNabb, Vick, and Vince Young.

Comment

• Denver obviously sees something in Orton, and some flaws in Tebow. Orton has taken 100% of first-team reps this week.

It's not about talent, it's about readiness.
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                  Denver obviously sees something in Orton, and some flaws in Tebow. Orton has taken 100% of first-team reps this week.

It's not about talent, it's about readiness.
                  Do they? They were desperate to send Orton packing. They were giving Tebow the job on a silver platter. Once the Miami trade fell through, they're kind of stuck with Orton, aren't they?

Comment

• It's already beginning for the Lions:

Detroit Lions rookie defensive tackle Nick Fairley had surgery on his injured left foot Wednesday.

A source close to Fairley told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that Fairley will miss three to four weeks.

Comment

• I don't think anyone here but me plays Madden, but considering the negative things MRT said about it and Ben's allusion to Tecmo Bowl, I think some of you haven't seen a football video game in action in over a decade so here's a video from the upcoming Madden 12:

Comment

• I played madden 11 religiously during football season and while the visual presentation is great, the gameplay mechanics are kind of weak. I took the goddamn seahawks to the superbowl on all madden.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                          I played madden 11 religiously during football season and while the visual presentation is great, the gameplay mechanics are kind of weak. I took the goddamn seahawks to the superbowl on all madden.
                          You need to try some custom sliders then. I like my set but you should experiment with your own. For example, if it's too easy to run the ball, adjust the HUM and CPU run sliders accordingly. I've personally spent hours fine-tuning mine til I got gameplay and stats like I would expect on Sunday.

There's an entire forum dedicated to slider sets at operationsports.com

Comment

• And, MRT, xbox or PS3?

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                              Do they? They were desperate to send Orton packing. They were giving Tebow the job on a silver platter. Once the Miami trade fell through, they're kind of stuck with Orton, aren't they?
                              If the untested Kolb is worth a #2 plus Rodgers-Cromartie, underselling Orton would be foolish for Denver. He's a known quantity and the best available QB on the market.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                And, MRT, xbox or PS3?
                                PS3. I did some slider adjustment but it's annoying that I have to tweak the game so much to get out of it what i want.
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X