Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Apolyton CTP2 Edition: Revision 1111 (12-Jun-2011)

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    This is Martin Gühmann's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    10:35
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting, as they are there. Think the only thing I can do is uninstall completely and start from scratch.
    That's the radical solution, but a way to go. Unfortunately, I don't have your computer in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWall View Post
    I would be correct in thinking I don't need to install #1097 if going to #1111? And does a savegame in 1097 work under 1111?
    That's right you don't need to install any previous version just, CTP2 whether patched or not and then the latest Apolyton Edition. The Apolyton Edition is designed so that savegames from a previous version work with the latest version.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

stu127
    Settler
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    21:35
    I really do like where you have taken the CTP2 revision 1111 design - far nicer to play than the original game.
    However I'm playing at the Deity level and finding it too easy

The tactic is build one good archer and hoplite/warrior stack and eliminate a couple of neighbouring civs, build tech and repeat. The computer players seem to tend to not build enough units, and not to clump up what they do have and either counter attack or attack with it. I have city and unit maintenance on to add to the challenge.

Are there settings that can be tweaked?

Thanks again for you design

Stuart

OldSnake
    Settler
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    04:35
    Hi,

I recently stumbled upon this wonderful project after picking up the GOG version of CTP2. I'm really grateful that this game is still supported and improved by the fan community.
    My question is if there will be (or maybe already is) another revision or fix that enables the music of the GOG version. Obviously there's no cd which has the tracks on it. Instead there's a music folder which has 10 or so MP3s in it. The standard install without the SCP plays them nicely; with the SCP applied no music is played.
    Thanks in advance.

irxson
    Settler
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSnake View Post
    Hi,

I recently stumbled upon this wonderful project after picking up the GOG version of CTP2. I'm really grateful that this game is still supported and improved by the fan community.
    My question is if there will be (or maybe already is) another revision or fix that enables the music of the GOG version. Obviously there's no cd which has the tracks on it. Instead there's a music folder which has 10 or so MP3s in it. The standard install without the SCP plays them nicely; with the SCP applied no music is played.
    Thanks in advance.
    I have the same issue, SCP fixes issues I had with the GoGs version of the game while running in on Windows 7 but I was able to play music by changing userprofile "UseRedbookAudio=Yes" but now with the SCP it doesn't work and neither does it play from a CD inserted in the drive.

Is there a workaround? Or is it hardcoded?

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    The Apolyton Edition does not play the music from the GOG version. That's because nobody told me where the files are located on the gog version and how they where named, before the relaease of the last revision. So I couldn't include them, however the game should play music from whatever audio CD. I guess you have to turn on the music in the menu inside the game.

-Martin

OldSnake
    Settler
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Gühmann View Post
    The Apolyton Edition does not play the music from the GOG version. That's because nobody told me where the files are located on the gog version and how they where named, before the relaease of the last revision. So I couldn't include them, however the game should play music from whatever audio CD. I guess you have to turn on the music in the menu inside the game.

-Martin
    Soooo, this means revision 1111 will be the last revision to be ever released?
    I can tell you the details of the MP3s and the location, if you want to include them in the next revision. Absolutely no problem.

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Soooo, this means revision 1111 will be the last revision to be ever released?
    Let's say it is on hold.

I can tell you the details of the MP3s and the location, if you want to include them in the next revision. Absolutely no problem.
    Well somebody put it here in the forum somewhere, the only problem is to find it. Basically it was some Sound subdirectory, I think in the executable directory and the files where called something like 1.mp3, 2.mp3 and so on. Probably I would just grab the list of files in that directory, and play whatever is in.

-Martin

Fugi the Great
    Country
    This is Fugi the Great's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Is pirating broken?

The reason I ask this is two-fold. One, from a previous post I mentioned that i do not see my trade lines being pirated in the trade status tab, nor do I see the option to tell them to stop pirating in the diplomacy screen. Two, when I pirate someone else's trade line, shouldn't I see some kind of monitary increase from doing this? Otherwise, what would be the point? So I guess I'll ask a stupid question: how does pirating work? I would think that if I have a trade line, I should get the income from it unless pirated by someone else, in which case they would get the income. Same with an AI's trade line, they should get the income unless I pirate the line, in which case I get the income. Is that how it works? Or does the the money from the trade line just simply disappear from the game (ends up in the hands of the crew of the pirate ships).

I was just putting 2 and 2 together and probably coming up with 3, but if pirating is broken, as in no income lost from pirating, is that why the trade status screen is not showing that trade line as being pirated? In which case, the AI has been given a very high priority to do something that really doesn't do anything, and unfortunately for them, would rather do this useless task than defend its cities.

Can someone else please verify this?

P.S. Why does it use Aircraft carriers for this? Destroyers and several other ships are cheaper to build and defend themselves much better, that is if they actually choose to do so, most of the time it seems it ignores my ship bombardment, continues pirating, and looses the ship the next turn.
    What do I think of Western civilization? I think it would be a very good idea.
    Mohandas Gandhi

thistleknot
    Warlord
    Country
    This is thistleknot's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    01:35
    where can i dl the source?

http://ctp2.darkdust.net/anonsvn/tags/

doesnt have this version listed

nm...

I used svn to find v 1111, although I note that darkdust has 1113 listed as the current version when browsing via http.

Is this a newer version? I dl'd the "trunk" version, and some dll's were different, but the code was the same as 1111
    Last edited by thistleknot; September 26, 2012 at 11:59.

thistleknot
    Warlord
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Feature request

MinSettleScore Cells with settle scores below this threshold will not be used

to be an area around a settler that is calculated vs a single cell.

I think it could be done with slic scripting.

thistleknot
    Warlord
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Feature request:

1. Defensive Values should be available on tile info (i.e. right click on tile, map info)

2. Ability to cancel a public works designation
    Last edited by thistleknot; September 30, 2012 at 11:00.

thistleknot
    Warlord
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Bug Report:

I laid a tile down during an enemies turn (just before my turn), and my public works went from 300 to 3000

I think it took a value from an enemy civ...

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by thistleknot View Post
    Bug Report:

I laid a tile down during an enemies turn (just before my turn), and my public works went from 300 to 3000

I think it took a value from an enemy civ...
    Can you attach for this a savegame?

-Martin

thistleknot
    Warlord
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    i knew u were gonna ask for that. i dont think i saved it. i was hoping to reproduce it... sorry

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by thistleknot View Post
    i knew u were gonna ask for that.
    What else, if I cannot reproduce it, I cannot find it, and thus I cannot try to fix it, and cannot check whether I really have fixed.

-Martin

GlassDeviant
    Settler
    Country
    This is GlassDeviant's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    I just recently decided to try a game of CTP2 again on my Win7 64-bit machine. The game installed fine and I patched with my personal favourite version of Apolyton (2009.05.17.CTP2.ApolytonEdition), but there were constand grahics artifacts and the game would crash nearly every time I clicked on a tile improvement. So, I reluctantly decided to download the latest version of Apolyton, and lo and behold, now nothing works at all. I can't even get to the Apolyton startup screen, because the game is hung up messing around with the CD. Worse, when I try ejecting the CD, I get a horrible noise from the audio channel.

What gives?

cue
    Chieftain
    Country
    This is cue's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    09:35
    You must be doing something wrong.
    Im using W7 64 bit and its working very good.

cue
    Chieftain
    Country
    This is cue's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Martin Gühmann, are you still working on this game?

GlassDeviant
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    OK, is there a way that I can recompile the code to include only the bugfixes, not the changes to the game that have been added?

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassDeviant View Post
    I just recently decided to try a game of CTP2 again on my Win7 64-bit machine. The game installed fine and I patched with my personal favourite version of Apolyton (2009.05.17.CTP2.ApolytonEdition), but there were constand grahics artifacts and the game would crash nearly every time I clicked on a tile improvement. So, I reluctantly decided to download the latest version of Apolyton, and lo and behold, now nothing works at all. I can't even get to the Apolyton startup screen, because the game is hung up messing around with the CD. Worse, when I try ejecting the CD, I get a horrible noise from the audio channel.
    That sounds like you are missing a driver pack, the Indeo5 drivers are not supported on Windows7 anymore. There is a driver pack for that, just google it, and you should have it.

The other thing is that the game does not need the CD anymore, to make the GOG version running. So you can check what's happening without the CD.

OK, is there a way that I can recompile the code to include only the bugfixes, not the changes to the game that have been added?
    What is a bugfix and what is a change, I rewrote quite a bit of the AI routines, is that a change or a bug fix. In my opinion it was a prerequisite to find any bugs in the AI routines. Beside that what changes you would like to remove. That may be a big list you have to go through one by one and change.

-Martin

GlassDeviant
    Settler
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    What is a bugfix and what is a change, I rewrote quite a bit of the AI routines, is that a change or a bug fix. In my opinion it was a prerequisite to find any bugs in the AI routines. Beside that what changes you would like to remove. That may be a big list you have to go through one by one and change.
    I guess that's a matter of opinion. Anyone I have ever worked with would not rewrite code in order to find bugs, they would analyze it. I am no student of Sun Tzu, so an AI that always employs the ideal strategy in a limited system every time and never makes the mistakes the original programmers coded into it deliberately is beyond my ability to deal with. Thus, for me, the game is ruined in its present iteration. This is not a slight directed towards you, it is merely a reflection of the fact that I am nowhere near your level in my ability to deal with the strategy of the game.

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Anyone I have ever worked with would not rewrite code in order to find bugs, they would analyze it.
    I did not rewrite the code from scratch. The AI code was much more complex than it needed to be, that were leftovers from CTP1. So code that was just there, that was doing nothing and eating processor time and memory. Then the algorithm that assigned units to tasks, was supposed to be a greedy algorithm. So once a units was assigned to a certain task it should have been assigned for that task at least for that turn. But the actual algorithm could remove it and assign it to another task. Or just kept it idle. Not very clever.

I am no student of Sun Tzu, so an AI that always employs the ideal strategy in a limited system every time and never makes the mistakes the original programmers coded into it deliberately is beyond my ability to deal with.
    The programers did not deliberately code anything into the game to weaken the AI. Unless you mean all those boni for the human player on the lower levels of difficulty.

The thing is that an AI is very complex, there are many things that can go wrong there. For instance, how strong is your army in a certain region. If you have a naval transporter, do you count the units on it or not. If you are naive you don't count them there. Which means if you want to conquer a city on another continent, then you have the necessary strength before you put the units onto the boats, but once they are there, they are gone. So the result is, the AI puts the units onto a boat and the next turn it puts them back, without ever reaching its goal.

The AI couldn't stack its units either. So it could decide to conquer a city but never could do it effectively.

The last thing I fixed was something about the thread level. The result was after the fix that the AI now builds less units. Which may be good or may be bad.

The thing is that the AI should be competetive, otherwise its boring.

-Martin

MisterEd
    Chieftain
    Country
    This is MisterEd's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Martin--I'm getting "SPRITE_LONGBOWMAN not found in Sprite database" and "SPRITE_ELEPHANT_WARRIOR not found in Sprite database" error messages. How do I fix them? Thanks

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
    Martin--I'm getting "SPRITE_LONGBOWMAN not found in Sprite database" and "SPRITE_ELEPHANT_WARRIOR not found in Sprite database" error messages. How do I fix them? Thanks
    Check the file newsprite.txt in your ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ folder. At the end of that file you should have the following lines:

#AE MOD
    SPRITE_ELEPHANT_WARRIOR 81
    SPRITE_LONGBOWMAN 89
    SPRITE_LEGION 85
    SPRITE_SWORDSMAN 84

Add them if they are missing. This problem can be caused if you use ModSwapper. In that case you have to add these lines also to a file called orig_newsprite.txt.

If you are to lazy using a text editor you can also take the whole buch of files from the download and put them over your copy.

-Martin

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Gühmann For This Useful Post:

MisterEd (January 22, 2013)

MisterEd
    Chieftain
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Thanks much. I am indeed using ModSwapper, because I still like playing Hex's Cradle.

Marxalot
    Settler
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Let's say it is on hold.

Well somebody put it here in the forum somewhere, the only problem is to find it. Basically it was some Sound subdirectory, I think in the executable directory and the files where called something like 1.mp3, 2.mp3 and so on. Probably I would just grab the list of files in that directory, and play whatever is in.

-Martin
    The sound files for the GOG edition of CTP2 are found here, for future reference.
    E:\Games\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\Sounds\2.mp3
    E:\Games\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\Sounds\3.mp3
    E:\Games\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\Sounds\4.mp3
    E:\Games\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\Sounds\5.mp3
    E:\Games\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\Sounds\6.mp3
    E:\Games\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\Sounds\7.mp3
    E:\Games\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\Sounds\8.mp3
    E:\Games\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\Sounds\9.mp3
    E:\Games\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\Sounds\10.mp3
    E:\Games\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\Sounds\11.mp3

hexagonian
    Country
    This is hexagonian's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    03:35
    I'm trying to create some scenarios. When I launch the saved scenario, I am getting graphical glitches on the control panel as well as the various screens. (Unfortunately, I cannot get the image to load)

Any help would be appreciated though
    Last edited by hexagonian; March 9, 2013 at 20:13.
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagonian View Post
    I'm trying to create some scenarios. When I launch the saved scenario, I am getting graphical glitches on the control panel as well as the various screens. (Unfortunately, I cannot get the image to load)

Any help would be appreciated though
    Which image to load? The graphical glitches are a known problem for scenarios, I just don't know if the graphical glitches are still there if you load a scenario save game.

-Martin

hexagonian
    Country
    This is hexagonian's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    03:35
    I took a screenshot of the main control panel, and I cannot upload it here to show what I am talking about.
    Error message when I attach a jpg file (IOError Event type = ''IOError'' bubble = false cancelable = false event phase = 2text = Error#2038)

But it sounds like the graphical glitches are a known problem. What is happening is that if I try to create a scenario, save it and then load the saved game, the graphical glitches are appearing. I tested it on my Cradle Scenario, as well as loading the existing scenarios that came with the Source Code, and the glitches are appearing on everything, so I was able to assume that it was not a Cradle glitch.

It's a moot point anyhow...initially it did appear that I could get Cradle to work on the Source Code (I tested with a limited run), but further testing revealed crashes and the dreaded 'Call to Power 2 has stopped working' message.
    This is too bad because I actually would prefer creating my Scenario through the Source Code, because the SC Editor is a lot less cumbersome and it allows for greater control than the normal Editor.

It's just that the glitches occur when you load the scenario...and at this stage of the game, I do not want to pour a lot of time into setting up a Scenario map just to see it crash and burn at the end.
    Last edited by hexagonian; March 17, 2013 at 15:38.
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

MisterEd
    Chieftain
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    July 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagonian View Post
    It's a moot point anyhow...initially it did appear that I could get Cradle to work on the Source Code (I tested with a limited run), but further testing revealed crashes and the dreaded 'Call to Power 2 has stopped working' message.
    This is too bad because I actually would prefer creating my Scenario through the Source Code, because the SC Editor is a lot less cumbersome and it allows for greater control than the normal Editor.
    CRAP! I was really looking forward to playing another Hex creation. You and Martin have made this game last for much longer than it deserves I suspect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast