Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ2-Strategy autochthons, what are you doing nowadays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 3 a quorum for a succession game? I'd have to break out my old computer or find the disks to install on the laptop...
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I haven't been able to load civ 2 on my PC for a while, I miss it
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Yeah. Honestly, the series has pandered, getting dumber and dumber with every sequel since II. Civ 5 is a child's game. It's Civ2 or FreeCiv for me.

Comment

I think most people left because future iterations in the Civ series did not offer as much to discover and talk about as Civ II did. Even with all its flaws, I found it to be and remain the best PC strategy game I've come accross. I also miss the many contirbutors and friends made back in the Civ II golden age, another reason for moving on.

Now I spend most of my time on ftf board games, such as Settlers, Ticket to Ride, Agricola, etc. I tried the Civ boardgame, but found it lacking. Another board game, Through the Ages, is also based on the Civ series, and after reading user reviews it sounds like a real winner, so I have ordered a copy.

In the meantime, nice hearing from all the Civ II vets who are still alive and kicking!

Comment

In your opinion, how does FreeCiv compare with Civ II?

Comment

It looks La Fayette's "last thread" is lost.
              (La Fayette left us alone on December 11th)
              Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                I haven't been able to load civ 2 on my PC for a while, I miss it
                Hey horse!!

I miss it too

Best chance is to install civ on a win xp pc I think although I hear the are problems getting mp to work.... Gosh we had 6 years of fun eh despite all the carryons
                "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

I thought the only problem with Win XP was Civ2 used all available processor time (but there was a patch for it)
                  Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Originally posted by granite00 View Post
                    In your opinion, how does FreeCiv compare with Civ II?
                    Actually.... I still pretty much just play Civ2. FreeCiv's trade model has caravans and trade routes but no commodities. If I were ten times the programmer that I actually am, I would do something about this, but I guess I'm too busy playing Civ2.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to convince some millionaire to pay a game studio to reimplement this game without the Dye/Copper bug, with real diplomacy, etc? But it won't happen. Gaming went pop a long time ago.

Comment

If I ever won BIG money on the lottery one of my first projects would be to hire a group of programmers to crack the source code of Civ2 and finish the project that was Test of Time, as well as implementing the changes the community has dreamed about over the years. It would have to look and feel like Civ2 and I would make it available for free. I would also make it extremely modable and allow others access to the code. I would then enjoy the revalutionary Civ2 experience from my yatch moored off San Tropez! One flaw to this plan is that I don't play the lottery, but I can still dream
                      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                      SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
                      SL INFORMATION THREAD
                      CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

First time poster, long time reader.

I just wanted to tell the autochthons I enjoyed their writings. I played civ like an addict during the golden years, but never shared my results, like beating Civ3 at the Sid level on a huge map. I learned late in the game about the levels higher than Diety, so I'm now playing a civ2 game at Diety +1. I should have a 1ad launch and all wonders in one city. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Fellows,

when I saw that I could install my good old 2.42 on a virtual PC, I looked around and on civfanatics there is still a GOTM going on,
                          that's 17 years after the game came out. After many years, I played an early landing game again and remembered, why I had so much fun with civ 2 and why no other strategy game ever kept me playing for years like this.

It is good to hear from you all. Thank you for this thread, Slow.

Comment

McMonkey, there's no need to play the lottery. Your chances of winning are the same whether you play or not. In fact, the odds are better that they'll just mail you the money by mistake.

Comment

That is exactly my philosophy. I have only ever purchased one lottery ticket, that being on the first week it began in the UK. I didn't win so I decided not to waste any more of my money. Think of how much I have saved over the past seventeen years!!! I always figured the odds of me finding the winning ticket blowing down the street weren't much more remote than me buying it. However I read a story about someone who actually did this and won about £1m but could not keep it as he hadn't purchased the ticket, so that's that idea down the drain. I'm now relying on a long lost millionaire relative leaving me a whopping inheritance out of the blue.
                              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                              SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
                              SL INFORMATION THREAD
                              CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Working...
                              X