Nintendo announces its new console "companion": Wii U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo announces its new console "companion": Wii U

No joke in that name. Due out next year.

It's a large tablet with D-pad on the left, analog sticks on both sides, buttons on the right, IR bar at the top, touchscreen LCD in the middle.

LOL.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Now Nintendo is claiming it is a new system capable of "HD" graphics. I'm ****ing confused. What a trainwreck of a press conference.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

That's the controller
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

You're not very bright, Asher.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          You're not very bright, Asher.
          Yes, it's the controller. They also said the controller streams wirelessly to the TV, implying they're using Intel's wireless display tech to output to a TV.

The controller is ****ing massive. It's highly likely it contains the "console", too.

Did they show an actual system? When they say you can play your game on your TV and then continue your game on the controller, are they referring to the console being fixed somewhere and transmitting data only?

I'm reading contradictory reports on it. Some sites are saying the controller is the controller + system with wireless TV out capability, other saying there must be a console that just wasn't shown (which is ****ing weird).

Comment

This is the console itself:

Comment

Kotaku finally settles it with a scoop.

Here is the new console, which they didn't actually announce:

Comment

This is even worse than not embedding the HW into the tablet itself. It's clearly not beefy.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  Kotaku finally settles it with a scoop.

Here is the new console, which they didn't actually announce:
                  Dude. You're like an hour late.

IGN had this thing up an hour ago. That's why I didn't know what the **** you were blabbering about with 'conflicting reports'

Comment

I don't know what sources you use. Just use IGN. They seem to always be the first in dispensing information.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      Dude. You're like an hour late.

IGN had this thing up an hour ago. That's why I didn't know what the **** you were blabbering about with 'conflicting reports'
                      Some of us have jobs, Alby.

I was reading liveblogs on ArsTechnica and Joystiq, and mass confusion reigned especially since Nintendo didn't actually show a console in the press conference.

Comment

Interesting new concept. The important thing is Nintendo do innovation and dares to try new things. Other than that, give me Mario and old classics, and I'm mostly content. I did sit for a few minutes under their presentation and asked myself: "Is there no new console? Only a new controller?" Then we got a lot of games and dudes I didn't care for saying this was the second coming of Jesus. And I sat there, more and more irritated that I didn't get some cold, hard FACTS. I want to know the tech stuff too, not only that there is a new controller(which looked very interesting, if a little big).
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                          Interesting new concept. The important thing is Nintendo do innovation and dares to try new things.

It's not innovative in any way. The Dreamcast also had a screen-in-a-controller that everyone creamed themselves over until they realized how stupid it was in practice.

Dreamcast actually went a step farther -- the display was removable and had its own OS and system so you could play portable games on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMU

Comment

The Dreamcast controller actually looks smaller than this Nintendo one

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              Some of us have jobs, Alby.

I was reading liveblogs on ArsTechnica and Joystiq, and mass confusion reigned especially since Nintendo didn't actually show a console in the press conference.
                              IGN knew the scoop and had a picture. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                              X