Frenzy getting out of control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frenzy getting out of control

I've start playing this mod for about 2 months now and had a few problems to run it perfectly, i could solve most of them but there is a last thing i can't handle.
    I know this mod is pretty dead but maybe it was something known and someone could help me about this.

Basically, at some point in the game the frenzy is going up by 10 every turn with no reason and it seems to get exponentially higher (in one game my frenzy was up to 10 000 around turn 730, starting to bug around turn 550).

I played two others games and had the same problem, even though i stop playing soon after i found out i couldn't do anything about it. I tryed to give tons of gold to the ai with cheat mode, just to make sure it was not myself being too agressive but even after getting frenzy down to 0 and doing nothing it's still going up by 10 per turn and never stop.

In the two others games it started getting out of control around turn 590 and 660 and i couldn't find any trigger to this.

I dont know if anyone can help me about this frenzy problem but anyway thanks for reading ^^
    Last edited by un10gestion; June 8, 2011, 11:07. Reason: edited something inaccurate which didn't matter about my problem anyway

I checked my saved files again and found out it always happens when i reach around 900 points, but couldn't find an exact number, it seems to vary between 900 and 930 from one game to another.

Comment

Well, it seems my version of this game is definately broken. I've tried to play a new game, now than i'm more familiar with AOM i decided to aim for a science victory and could get the 400 turns one but once again the frenzy went crazy.

Soon after turn 400 i realized i probably couldn't get the 500 turn science victory so i changed my plan and went for some army and took 4 cities from the Chinese who had been agressive since dark ages and were annoying like hell, slowing down my science so i wanted revenge. Anyway before attacking them by turn 400 my frenzy was at 0, i started getting a little agressive by turn 420 i think and here i am, around turn 450 with my frenzy up to 200 and ennemies stacks from all over the world coming at me...

It doesn't seem to be related to the victory points because this time i was around 1250 points when it started going crazy.

Guess i'm done for this game, even if i couldn't finish a game nor play the modern era it was fun to play until medieval era.

Comment

Originally posted by un10gestion View Post
        Well, it seems my version of this game is definately broken.
        Or it is frenzy itself.

I've tried to play a new game, now than i'm more familiar with AOM i decided to aim for a science victory and could get the 400 turns one but once again the frenzy went crazy.

Soon after turn 400 i realized i probably couldn't get the 500 turn science victory so i changed my plan and went for some army and took 4 cities from the Chinese who had been agressive since dark ages and were annoying like hell, slowing down my science so i wanted revenge. Anyway before attacking them by turn 400 my frenzy was at 0, i started getting a little agressive by turn 420 i think and here i am, around turn 450 with my frenzy up to 200 and ennemies stacks from all over the world coming at me...
        I guess it always raises the counter when you attack somebody, but to tell you more precise things about how it works I would have to look at its code. What I remember is that it grabs for each AI a stack of 12 units and move it into you territory. Once, the stack is there the AI is free to attack or not to attack.

Of course, this is a stupid strategy and interferes with the logic built into the game, which is actually in the default game broken.

By the way, this is fixed to a big extend in the Apolyton Edition, but I guess those fixes aren't reflected in any AOM version.

It doesn't seem to be related to the victory points because this time i was around 1250 points when it started going crazy.

Guess i'm done for this game, even if i couldn't finish a game nor play the modern era it was fun to play until medieval era.
        Well, you could still decrease the frenzy points, all you have to do is to reloadslic. To do this open the chat window by typing the apostrophe key (') and enter: /reloadslic

And then the points are set back to 0.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Unfortunately reloadslic is not an option, i've already tried it in a previous game. It did get the frenzy back to 0 the instant i reloaded but when i went to the next turn it changed to 80 and was still going up by ~10 every turn, not to mention that reload slic triggers dark ages with barbarians hordes, attila, tiles improvements cut and the happiness hit.

Just in case i've tried it once again in my last game but it's the same. I even tried to reload soon after it started going crazy, my frenzy was at about 40 but after reloading and going to the next turn it changed to 80.

The only way i've found is to use cheat mode and to give around 25k gold to 1 AI each turn to balance it but i really hate doing this, still it might be the only way if i want to play a game until the end.

Anyway thanks for the answer Martin.

Comment

Well, you could still remove frenzy from the included slic files, but here you have to figure out yourself which file to edit, because I don't have access for the next week to a computer with the files on.

Anyway, even if you remove the frenzy.slc file from the include list you have either to reloadslic or start a new game.

-Martin

Comment

I'm not sure if i understand but i think what you're talking about is adding // in the AOM3_script.slc file before the line #include "AOM2_frenzy11.slc" so it doesnt use this frenzy file.

If so, i've tried it but when i try to start the game i got a lot of slic errors, i might be wrong but i think it's because there's several files related to frenzy. I get the message error for files AOM2_diplomod, AOM2_disaster2, AOM_wonders, AOM_TLBonus, AOM2_misc3, AOM2_special10, AOM3_Rebellion, AOM2_HumanRepair, AOM2_Religion and AOM_surrender.
              I didn't write the errors's line because there was too many and i couldn't check it all.

Anyway, after crazy spamming to get ride of those errors the game finally start but the frenzy problem isn't solve : it just changed the number the frenzy goes up to 180 instead of 10 : 3 turn after reloading the frenzy was at 540.

I've searched a little in all those files to try to find the problem, i think it's a bit too hard with my little knowledge but it gave me an idea to control the frenzy without using cheat mode : i edited the diplomacy.slc and lessened the amount of gold to decrease frenzy and remove the limit of 10 max per turn so i can at least change the frenzy as i want with diplomacy. It's like playing without frenzy and i would have prefer to solve the problem properly but it is better than nothing, i should at least be able to play a game till the end.

Comment

Maybe you haven't fixed the problem as you would have liked, but you found a solution, so that you can play the game as you would like. That's actual what those mods are all about, get something different. As long as it is fun it is good.

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                X