Support an Apolyton OT that advertisers flee in terror from: Buy Stuff from Amazon. You know you were going to buy it anyway.
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Al B. Sure!
    Country
    This is Al B. Sure!'s Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    23:21

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

To find a better job, I applied diligently to teller positions at various banks. I had applied for such positions many times over the years and never had any success.

To briefly describe a typical experience, take PNC bank. Beyond just filling out the online application and submitting my resume, I had complete a personality assessment, a test of basic math, and a test demonstrating perception of small differences between sets of numbers, names, addresses, etc.

Completed all that and got an e-mail telling me to call a number to complete an automated questionnaire. It's similar to the screening phone interview HR managers and recruiters do but automated. Did that.

Then I get an e-mail stating that PNC has decided to move forward with other candidates.

Shot down again without having spoken to anyone, although I did get relatively far in the process this time... I got to the automated screening questionnaire this time which is a first in a few dozen attempts to work at PNC alone.

Same with other banks. Same with positions at mundane places like drug stores and dollar stores and fast food. I never get to speak to anyone. Never get so much as a call or an e-mail.

I can understand getting an interview and them deciding upon speaking to me to go with other candidates, but when I do not even get a phone interview, something is up!

Even with my current job, I waited for a month after applying through proper channels with not a word. Only by virtue of me being a former employee was I able to personally contact the Area Manager and set up an interview. He approached the interview ready to hire me yet I was dismissed by the human resources of the very same company a month prior! There couldn't be any issue of qualification, especially as I was applying for the exact same position that I had previously worked for TWO YEARS! In fact, as I said in the other thread, the AM immediately promoted me from that position.

Please explain. What is going on?

Who am I competing against? Who are these other candidates? What work experience/education do they have? Can I get a phone interview at least? What's with the discrepancy where Checkers would not even contact me but when I went directly to my future boss, my hiring was a foregone conclusion? What's with the fact that friends currently employed by certain companies are absolutely certain that I would be hired if I applied, judging by their inside knowledge of the companies' current needs and my experience, yet I get no response following my applications? Big signs outside stores stating HIRING SUPERVISORS yet my repeated attempts are met with 'fill out this application' and a 'we'll contact you if interested' that never happens?

Everytime I relate my predicament, people mention my Islamic name. Is this conceivable that I am a victim of prejudice? I am absolutely lost for an explanation.
    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; May 16, 2011 at 02:50.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Al B. Sure!
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    Zip
    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; June 8, 2011 at 17:35.
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

David Floyd
    Emperor
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    03:21
    Everytime I relate my predicament, people mention my Islamic name. Is this conceivable that I am a victim of prejudice? I am absolutely lost for an explanation.
    This. I recommend changing your name. Also, disassociate with thugs, Muslims, and anyone else deemed a security risk.

The fact of the matter is, EVERY hiring manager has prejudicial hiring practices. They aren't all the same, and they are certainly not policy, but they exist. Show me someone with a 100% fair, consistent, and non-prejudicial hiring practice, and I'll show you someone who cooks the books.

As a simple example - would you hire a pregnant woman, knowing she would have to go on maternity leave in x months? Of course you wouldn't - that would be a bad business decision. But that's still "unfair" and/or "prejudicial".

It's also well-documented that statistically, overweight people are much less likely to be hired for the same position as a thin/physically fit person (especially women).

So, yeah - having a Muslim name trying to get a job at a bank is probably a case of fighting an uphill battle.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Hauldren Collider
    Country
    This is Hauldren Collider's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    22:21
    Yeah, chalk it all up to racism.

The Bank of America I go to near my house has practically all Arab clerks for whatever reason. If they can get jobs as bank clerks in Northern Virginia, they should be able to in Philly...
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    :(){ :|:& };:

David Floyd
    Emperor
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure AS is doing something wrong here that he isn't telling us. I'm just saying - OF COURSE the hiring practices are in some way prejudicial. It's stupid to think they wouldn't be.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Asher
    Country
    This is Asher's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:21
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, chalk it all up to racism.

The Bank of America I go to near my house has practically all Arab clerks for whatever reason. If they can get jobs as bank clerks in Northern Virginia, they should be able to in Philly...

Terrists infiltrating the DC area and you are not even suspicious!!!

BE ALERT; BE AWARE; REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Hauldren Collider
    Country
    This is Hauldren Collider's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    I hate those posters.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    :(){ :|:& };:

Asher
    Country
    This is Asher's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:21
    Whenever I was in NYC, I reported anyone in a turban, wearing a veil, brown guys with backpacks, etc. I felt patriotic.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Ben Kenobi
    Country
    This is Ben Kenobi's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    21:21
    Wow, I can post the same thing twice.

English! Do you speak it?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith and Solomwi you will be missed
    "The fact that [sex between a 36 year old and 15 year old] was consensual is a BIG DIFFERENCE." Ming
    "You should definitely do that." - Kentonio on voting fraud.

Al B. Sure!
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Wow, I can post the same thing twice.

English! Do you speak it?
    Que?

Dave, if there's something I'm not telling you, I have no clue what it is.

Ben Kenobi
    Country
    This is Ben Kenobi's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    If they can get jobs as bank clerks in Northern Virginia, they should be able to in Philly...
    I'd point you to that other thread, but I repeat myself.

Apparently the South is just so racist.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith and Solomwi you will be missed
    "The fact that [sex between a 36 year old and 15 year old] was consensual is a BIG DIFFERENCE." Ming
    "You should definitely do that." - Kentonio on voting fraud.

Jon Miller
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    Get out of Philly?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lonestar
    Country
    This is Lonestar's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    Muslims aren't suppose to be in Banking. Against Usury laws.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Barnabas
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    04:21
    I also wouldn't like to waste time in a bank because the employees have to stop in order to pray towards Mecca
    I need a foot massage

Zoetstofzoetje
    King
    Country
    This is Zoetstofzoetje's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    05:21
    change your name to miller

Zoetstofzoetje
    King
    Country
    This is Zoetstofzoetje's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    05:21
    thinking about it, it makes sense you don't get hired. i worked for a number of HR companies (or, they were my customers, rather, but anyway) and for lowpaid positions they had a preference for locals rather than immigrants. in their experience, immigrants (or those who appear to be by last name) were much more likely to have a criminal background, and were much more likely to cause some kind of trouble.

once you get to a higher position stuff like that matters much less

MikeH
    Country
    This is MikeH's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    My job is writing systems that do automated testing like that, not for any of those companies.

My very strong guess is that the reason you didn't get an interview is that either you failed the test, or they had a lot of candidates who scored a lot better so they interviewed them. But either way they want to send you a nice sounding e-mail.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

MikeH
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    And one of the reasons they use automated screening is to remove the potential for a recruiter's prejudice influencing the process. Well, that and to ensure consistency across the company.
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

MikeH
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Oh and our customers are also quite hot at asking us for ways to identify serial applicants, so they can be treated the same every time.
    We've got both kinds

Flubber
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by David Floyd View Post

The fact of the matter is, EVERY hiring manager has prejudicial hiring practices. They aren't all the same, and they are certainly not policy, but they exist. Show me someone with a 100% fair, consistent, and non-prejudicial hiring practice, and I'll show you someone who cooks the books.

This is quite true. my aunt does the hiring for a Walmart-- nothing is automated.... but she often rejected people based on their appearance when they handed in their resume ( neatness, appropriateness of attire --- it wouldn't get someone a job but it could lose them a shot at one as she wrote NO on the resume/application without reading it--- she did the same with applications that did not appear neat) it was entirely subjective but she had enough applicants that she could be choosy

in your case its impossible to say what is getting you rejected but it cannot always be an islamic sounding name. While there are racists out there and lots of them, there are not so many as to account for your failure every time.

This strikes me much as your failure with girls. They like you on first meeting but reject you once they get to know you better-- It sounds like potential employers are much the same
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Flubber
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    And one of the reasons they use automated screening is to remove the potential for a recruiter's prejudice influencing the process. Well, that and to ensure consistency across the company.

could this be something that gets triggered alter in the screening so that he gets past the first round ?
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

MikeH
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Possibly, I would think that big companies like that have very strict policies in place to protect against that kind of thing and probably monitor performance of recruiters so they have good evidence if they ever get faced with a discrimination case. But I could be wrong. I don't know anything about that particular company's hiring practices.

More likely to be filtered out when they see the completely irrelevant work experience and obsession with the Marines to be honest.
    We've got both kinds

MikeH
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    (although that isn't in the resume, there are unexplained career gaps, followed by going back to the same job, which I'd see as a red flag)
    We've got both kinds

rah
    Country
    This is rah's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    Yeah, the dates on the resume would have been flagged as a potential issue if I was reviewing it.
    Especially after seeing the managed the 120 people line. I would reject that for any low level position assuming that the applicant would be continuing to look for a better position and would leave as soon as one was offered.
    "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
    Lessons in Christianity.
    Baron O RIP.

MikeH
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    Yeah, and I'd also assume it was a gross exaggeration or stretching of the truth (based on the rest of the resume).
    We've got both kinds

rah
    Country
    This is rah's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    Some stretching is to be expected, but Yeah.
    "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
    Lessons in Christianity.
    Baron O RIP.

AAHZ
    Country
    This is AAHZ's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    Last edited by AAHZ; May 21, 2011 at 19:04.
    Bloody Red Till I'm Bloody Dead...
    ...and Hell followed with him.

Guynemer
    Country
    This is Guynemer's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    It also may have something to do with the fact that there are four to five job seekers for every available job in the country.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Flubber
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynemer View Post
    It also may have something to do with the fact that there are four to five job seekers for every available job in the country.
    That plus this is a guy that portrays as very fit but yet can never get the girl. Given that awkward smi-basket cases manage to find dates, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that there is something particularly offputting that reveals iitself.

Or it could just be the big gaps in having jobs-- In my position now, I have hiring powers and that would be a bit of a red flag for me. Sure you might have a good explanation but to Guy's point, I need not waste time on anyone where there are any potential negatives when I have a pile of resumes from people that appear a perfect fit.

Al B. Sure!
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    in their experience, immigrants (or those who appear to be by last name) were much more likely to have a criminal background, and were much more likely to cause some kind of trouble.
    Not in America.

Yeah, and I'd also assume it was a gross exaggeration or stretching of the truth (based on the rest of the resume).
    Why? It wasn't 120 employees on one shift. It was 120 employees in the account. It was a really large operation with a full-staff kitchen, Einstein Bagel, Auntie Anne's, Burger King, Starbucks, and a bunch of internal brands.

And the thought of actual jobs I worked being seen as lies is WTF?! Like what am I supposed to do? Under-state my job?

, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that there is something particularly offputting that reveals iitself.
    But when? I don't speak to anyone! Not even a phone interview. They're going entirely off of resume or any tests I do.

And like I said, I got my current job through bypassing the proper channels. He was ready to hire me, was going to bypass a company policy regarding drivers licences to hire me, and then promoted me.

How is it that he hires me so readily but the HR of the same company did not give me a call?

That's indicative of something being wrong... I get the job when I bypass the channels but not so much as a call when I go through human resources.

Or it could just be the big gaps in having jobs--
    I have a single gap between January 2010 and April 2011. There are no other gaps. My problems getting hired for these jobs long predate these gaps.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast