Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

To find a better job, I applied diligently to teller positions at various banks. I had applied for such positions many times over the years and never had any success.

To briefly describe a typical experience, take PNC bank. Beyond just filling out the online application and submitting my resume, I had complete a personality assessment, a test of basic math, and a test demonstrating perception of small differences between sets of numbers, names, addresses, etc.

Completed all that and got an e-mail telling me to call a number to complete an automated questionnaire. It's similar to the screening phone interview HR managers and recruiters do but automated. Did that.

Then I get an e-mail stating that PNC has decided to move forward with other candidates.

Shot down again without having spoken to anyone, although I did get relatively far in the process this time... I got to the automated screening questionnaire this time which is a first in a few dozen attempts to work at PNC alone.

Same with other banks. Same with positions at mundane places like drug stores and dollar stores and fast food. I never get to speak to anyone. Never get so much as a call or an e-mail.

I can understand getting an interview and them deciding upon speaking to me to go with other candidates, but when I do not even get a phone interview, something is up!

Even with my current job, I waited for a month after applying through proper channels with not a word. Only by virtue of me being a former employee was I able to personally contact the Area Manager and set up an interview. He approached the interview ready to hire me yet I was dismissed by the human resources of the very same company a month prior! There couldn't be any issue of qualification, especially as I was applying for the exact same position that I had previously worked for TWO YEARS! In fact, as I said in the other thread, the AM immediately promoted me from that position.

Please explain. What is going on?

Who am I competing against? Who are these other candidates? What work experience/education do they have? Can I get a phone interview at least? What's with the discrepancy where Checkers would not even contact me but when I went directly to my future boss, my hiring was a foregone conclusion? What's with the fact that friends currently employed by certain companies are absolutely certain that I would be hired if I applied, judging by their inside knowledge of the companies' current needs and my experience, yet I get no response following my applications? Big signs outside stores stating HIRING SUPERVISORS yet my repeated attempts are met with 'fill out this application' and a 'we'll contact you if interested' that never happens?

Everytime I relate my predicament, people mention my Islamic name. Is this conceivable that I am a victim of prejudice? I am absolutely lost for an explanation.
    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; May 16, 2011, 01:50.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Zip
    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; June 8, 2011, 16:35.
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Everytime I relate my predicament, people mention my Islamic name. Is this conceivable that I am a victim of prejudice? I am absolutely lost for an explanation.
      This. I recommend changing your name. Also, disassociate with thugs, Muslims, and anyone else deemed a security risk.

The fact of the matter is, EVERY hiring manager has prejudicial hiring practices. They aren't all the same, and they are certainly not policy, but they exist. Show me someone with a 100% fair, consistent, and non-prejudicial hiring practice, and I'll show you someone who cooks the books.

As a simple example - would you hire a pregnant woman, knowing she would have to go on maternity leave in x months? Of course you wouldn't - that would be a bad business decision. But that's still "unfair" and/or "prejudicial".

It's also well-documented that statistically, overweight people are much less likely to be hired for the same position as a thin/physically fit person (especially women).

So, yeah - having a Muslim name trying to get a job at a bank is probably a case of fighting an uphill battle.
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeah, chalk it all up to racism.

The Bank of America I go to near my house has practically all Arab clerks for whatever reason. If they can get jobs as bank clerks in Northern Virginia, they should be able to in Philly...
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure AS is doing something wrong here that he isn't telling us. I'm just saying - OF COURSE the hiring practices are in some way prejudicial. It's stupid to think they wouldn't be.
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            Yeah, chalk it all up to racism.

The Bank of America I go to near my house has practically all Arab clerks for whatever reason. If they can get jobs as bank clerks in Northern Virginia, they should be able to in Philly...

Terrists infiltrating the DC area and you are not even suspicious!!!

BE ALERT; BE AWARE; REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I hate those posters.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Whenever I was in NYC, I reported anyone in a turban, wearing a veil, brown guys with backpacks, etc. I felt patriotic.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Wow, I can post the same thing twice.

English! Do you speak it?
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    Wow, I can post the same thing twice.

English! Do you speak it?
                    Que?

Dave, if there's something I'm not telling you, I have no clue what it is.

Comment

If they can get jobs as bank clerks in Northern Virginia, they should be able to in Philly...
                      I'd point you to that other thread, but I repeat myself.

Apparently the South is just so racist.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Get out of Philly?

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Muslims aren't suppose to be in Banking. Against Usury laws.
                          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I also wouldn't like to waste time in a bank because the employees have to stop in order to pray towards Mecca
                            I need a foot massage

Comment

change your name to miller

Comment

Working...
                              X