Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thinking about it, it makes sense you don't get hired. i worked for a number of HR companies (or, they were my customers, rather, but anyway) and for lowpaid positions they had a preference for locals rather than immigrants. in their experience, immigrants (or those who appear to be by last name) were much more likely to have a criminal background, and were much more likely to cause some kind of trouble.

once you get to a higher position stuff like that matters much less

Comment

My job is writing systems that do automated testing like that, not for any of those companies.

My very strong guess is that the reason you didn't get an interview is that either you failed the test, or they had a lot of candidates who scored a lot better so they interviewed them. But either way they want to send you a nice sounding e-mail.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

And one of the reasons they use automated screening is to remove the potential for a recruiter's prejudice influencing the process. Well, that and to ensure consistency across the company.
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Oh and our customers are also quite hot at asking us for ways to identify serial applicants, so they can be treated the same every time.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post

The fact of the matter is, EVERY hiring manager has prejudicial hiring practices. They aren't all the same, and they are certainly not policy, but they exist. Show me someone with a 100% fair, consistent, and non-prejudicial hiring practice, and I'll show you someone who cooks the books.

This is quite true. my aunt does the hiring for a Walmart-- nothing is automated.... but she often rejected people based on their appearance when they handed in their resume ( neatness, appropriateness of attire --- it wouldn't get someone a job but it could lose them a shot at one as she wrote NO on the resume/application without reading it--- she did the same with applications that did not appear neat) it was entirely subjective but she had enough applicants that she could be choosy

in your case its impossible to say what is getting you rejected but it cannot always be an islamic sounding name. While there are racists out there and lots of them, there are not so many as to account for your failure every time.

This strikes me much as your failure with girls. They like you on first meeting but reject you once they get to know you better-- It sounds like potential employers are much the same
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
              And one of the reasons they use automated screening is to remove the potential for a recruiter's prejudice influencing the process. Well, that and to ensure consistency across the company.

could this be something that gets triggered alter in the screening so that he gets past the first round ?
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Possibly, I would think that big companies like that have very strict policies in place to protect against that kind of thing and probably monitor performance of recruiters so they have good evidence if they ever get faced with a discrimination case. But I could be wrong. I don't know anything about that particular company's hiring practices.

More likely to be filtered out when they see the completely irrelevant work experience and obsession with the Marines to be honest.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

(although that isn't in the resume, there are unexplained career gaps, followed by going back to the same job, which I'd see as a red flag)
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Yeah, the dates on the resume would have been flagged as a potential issue if I was reviewing it.
                    Especially after seeing the managed the 120 people line. I would reject that for any low level position assuming that the applicant would be continuing to look for a better position and would leave as soon as one was offered.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, and I'd also assume it was a gross exaggeration or stretching of the truth (based on the rest of the resume).
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Some stretching is to be expected, but Yeah.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; May 21, 2011, 18:04.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

It also may have something to do with the fact that there are four to five job seekers for every available job in the country.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                              It also may have something to do with the fact that there are four to five job seekers for every available job in the country.
                              That plus this is a guy that portrays as very fit but yet can never get the girl. Given that awkward smi-basket cases manage to find dates, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that there is something particularly offputting that reveals iitself.

Or it could just be the big gaps in having jobs-- In my position now, I have hiring powers and that would be a bit of a red flag for me. Sure you might have a good explanation but to Guy's point, I need not waste time on anyone where there are any potential negatives when I have a pile of resumes from people that appear a perfect fit.

Comment

in their experience, immigrants (or those who appear to be by last name) were much more likely to have a criminal background, and were much more likely to cause some kind of trouble.
                                Not in America.

Yeah, and I'd also assume it was a gross exaggeration or stretching of the truth (based on the rest of the resume).
                                Why? It wasn't 120 employees on one shift. It was 120 employees in the account. It was a really large operation with a full-staff kitchen, Einstein Bagel, Auntie Anne's, Burger King, Starbucks, and a bunch of internal brands.

And the thought of actual jobs I worked being seen as lies is WTF?! Like what am I supposed to do? Under-state my job?

, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that there is something particularly offputting that reveals iitself.
                                But when? I don't speak to anyone! Not even a phone interview. They're going entirely off of resume or any tests I do.

And like I said, I got my current job through bypassing the proper channels. He was ready to hire me, was going to bypass a company policy regarding drivers licences to hire me, and then promoted me.

How is it that he hires me so readily but the HR of the same company did not give me a call?

That's indicative of something being wrong... I get the job when I bypass the channels but not so much as a call when I go through human resources.

Or it could just be the big gaps in having jobs--
                                I have a single gap between January 2010 and April 2011. There are no other gaps. My problems getting hired for these jobs long predate these gaps.
                                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                                X