Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
    you get out of college with magna *** laude to become a data entry clerk, closely followed by a minor managerial job? then, you get downgraded from manager to assistant manager.
    Assistant Manager is ABOVE Manager. It's technically "Assistant GENERAL Manager".

when you say that you don't want to work a 50/hr workweek, i do hope that you mean that you don't want to work less than 50.
    No. I need to be ready for the Marines in October. I don't need nor want 50 hour workweeks. I don't need that sort of money to live comfortably.

Maybe they are concerned about your credit rating or the neighborhood you live in.
    My credit score is good. FICO 737.

Ya its 4 years later (and 3 years post graduation) and you are back to being an assistant manager at Checkers-- a job you held as a student -- any good impression from holding this job in college is mitigated by the fact that you hold it again now. It shows neither progression nor drive
    WELL WHAT THE ****?! I've applied to jobs and they didn't hire me! What kind of crazy Catch-22 is this where I need a good post-graduation job to get a good post-graduation job?!

Can anyone explain to me what was up with my Checkers experience? Why is it that going through proper channels didn't even get me a phone call but bypassing them and going directly to my future boss got me the job easily?

How can I do that for other jobs?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Assistant Manager is ABOVE Manager. It's technically "Assistant GENERAL Manager".
      Do you think it's a good idea to hide that fact so effectively from people reading your resume? Everyone reading will assume it's below Manager.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

So, it is bad to name your daughter Shaquilla, Charquandra or Shaniqua if you want her to not have her CVs rejected?
        I wouldn't take anyone seriously who had a name like that. Their app goes to the bottom of the pile every time. I don't hire drama.

AS,

WELL WHAT THE ****?! I've applied to jobs and they didn't hire me! What kind of crazy Catch-22 is this where I need a good post-graduation job to get a good post-graduation job?!
        Ah, now you understand! Seriously - it's more about networking and who you know.
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
          Ah, now you understand! Seriously - it's more about networking and who you know.
          And how do I rub elbows with the rich and powerful?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
            Do you think it's a good idea to hide that fact so effectively from people reading your resume? Everyone reading will assume it's below Manager.
            Huh? That wouldn't be common knowledge?

I said I did scheduling and inventory and ****. I'm clearly not below a shift manager.

Comment

You said it was above Manager, not above Shift Manager. Manager would imply the person in charge of the whole operation.

Maybe it's a UK/US difference but here an Assistant Manager role would always be below a Manager Role. Hence the name. A job title of "Manager" in a Fast Food place here would definitely imply the person responsible for the whole place, Assistant Manager would be below him. Shift Manager would be below the Assistant Manager.

And organisations are structured differently.
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                You said it was above Manager, not above Shift Manager. Manager would imply the person in charge of the whole operation.

Maybe it's a UK/US difference but here an Assistant Manager role would always be below a Manager Role. Hence the name. A job title of "Manager" in a Fast Food place here would definitely imply the person responsible for the whole place, Assistant Manager would be below him. Shift Manager would be below the Assistant Manager.

And organisations are structured differently.
                The names might vary but the analogues are the same in every food service, retail, etc. operation... you have shift managers who are the entry-level management who manage the floor during a shift. You have General Managers who are responsible for the entire store. The Assistant Manager is between the two and provides support for the GM. There is an increase in administrative work and responsibility for the operation/store as you move up.

Comment

Well that's exactly the level I thought you were at then. Which is just an assistant manager position. No major achievement.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

That one post made it sound like a bigger deal than what we thought.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      And how do I rub elbows with the rich and powerful?
                      GET. OUT. OF. PHILLY.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yeah, when I hear "General Manager" It sounds like someone in the neighborhood of a regional manager.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Get out of Philly seems to be the general consensus.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
                            I wouldn't take anyone seriously who had a name like that. Their app goes to the bottom of the pile every time. I don't hire drama.
                            Not to put too fine a point on it, but... go **** yourself, Dave.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I would try and sign the resume as Ming the Merciless and see what happens.

Comment

so albie, you don't want to work long hours to climb the social ladder? instead you'll accept a lower-luxury lifestyle as sufficient in return for less strain on your work-life balance. i can accept that if you're happy with it. just don't complain about being stuck in the ghetto and not getting booty if you're not willing to go the extra mile.

oh, and you don't seriously think that by joining the marines you'll have more free time, i hope. you'll be living on a military basis, getting little sleep during training, have to mentally and physically survive the hazing, and going home once or twice a year. you'll have a hard time finding a meaningful relationship (unless you venture into the don't-ask-don't-tell kind of world) with so few women around. and when you do get home, your friends will have grown away from you as they've not seen you much.

Comment

Working...
                                X