Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    Here's my resume:

EXPERIENCE: Checkers Drive-Thru Restaurant December 2004 - November 2007, April 2011-
    Assistant Manager
    • Created weekly shift schedules and managed inventory for quick-serve restaurant with annual sales in excess of $1 million
    • Regularly maintained labor costs lower than 15% of sales
    • Managed at five different locations in Philadelphia

Sodexo, Philadelphia, PA August 2006 - January 2010
    Manager, Sodexo Campus Dining Services at Temple University
    • Manager with both opening and closing responsibilities at campus food court with annual sales in excess of $12 million
    • Promoted from administrative role to management
    • Managed 120 employees at main operation as well as field locations
    • Oversaw 12 concepts, including 3 national brands

Wachovia, Philadelphia, PA March 2008 - October 2008
    Lockbox Data Entry Associate
    • Received numerous commendations and bonuses for accuracy and speed in a deadline production environment

EDUCATION: TEMPLE UNIVERSITY, Fox School of Business, Philadelphia, PA
    Bachelor of Business Administration, magna *** laude
    Major: Finance Minor: Economics
    GPA: 3.66, Dean’s List: Fall ’03-Spring ’04, Fall ’05-Fall ’07
    2nd Place, Temple University Business Policy Competition, class of 2008
    Member, Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society
    You are overqualified for teller. Have you tried applying for, say, a loan officer?

Your resume suggests a lack of ambition, despite good academic credentials.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
      You are overqualified for teller. Have you tried applying for, say, a loan officer?

Your resume suggests a lack of ambition, despite good academic credentials.
      Well I don't want to work a 50 hour/week job. That's why I want to get out of my current job.

I have, however, applied for loan officer, sales, and branch manager positions in the past repeatedly with no success. I will say that one of the recruiters from the now defunct Wachovia was really nice enough to give me a call to personally state that they were seeking other candidates and to explain to me why I was not a fit for the job of a branch manager and what they were looking for. Only time I have ever seen an HR rep do that and it was very refreshing. (they were looking for someone with more pure years of professional experience)

It was a far cry from the usual automated e-mail and never getting even a phone interview

And how does it suggest lack of ambition? I was promoted up from crew to Assistant Manager at Checkers, from an admin night office manager to a manager at Sodexo... What lack of ambition?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

you get out of college with magna *** laude to become a data entry clerk, closely followed by a minor managerial job? then, you get downgraded from manager to assistant manager.

lots of red flags.

i wouldn't even put the data entry on the resume, what you need to convey are your relevant skills to the job.

almost 20 years ago i worked in a factory for a year, recycling used computers. if i apply now to a job for CEO or VP, that's not going on the cv.

Comment

exactly how do your credentials convey that you will be the hardworking sob that will leverage the company's potential to massive profits? where's the can-do attitude that shows that you're destined to accomplish great things? when you say that you don't want to work a 50/hr workweek, i do hope that you mean that you don't want to work less than 50.

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; May 21, 2011, 18:03.
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Maybe they are concerned about your credit rating or the neighborhood you live in.

Is it legal to discriminate based on neighborhood? It's not technically racial. There are whites in ghetto neighborhoods that I would not hire for a cash handling job. It's just to much of a criminal infiltration risk.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

You know, I know what Albert is on about here. For many years I had an impossible time finding a proper job and I couldn't figure out who was beating me and was so much superior. And now I have been far more successful and have been working for many years...I still haven't figured out who are these people who must be so much better than me because they must be hiding them f**king well
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
                  you get out of college with magna *** laude to become a data entry clerk, closely followed by a minor managerial job? then, you get downgraded from manager to assistant manager.
                  Ya its 4 years later (and 3 years post graduation) and you are back to being an assistant manager at Checkers-- a job you held as a student -- any good impression from holding this job in college is mitigated by the fact that you hold it again now. It shows neither progression nor drive

Add that to a 14 month gap in a resume so early in a career and I can see why employers don't love it.

What your resume screams to me is -- graduated with great marks from Temple-- done SFA since-- you have the same two jobs on there that you had before you graduated-- Why didn't you seek something better straight out of school (or was that the worst of the recession timing?) Your resume would have read a lot better in May 08 since back then your employment history shows good student jobs and working while studying shows initiative.
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                    You know, I know what Albert is on about here. For many years I had an impossible time finding a proper job and I couldn't figure out who was beating me and was so much superior. And now I have been far more successful and have been working for many years...I still haven't figured out who are these people who must be so much better than me because they must be hiding them f**king well
                    They didn't actually have to be better than you if you presented poorly on paper . . .
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It is tough getting your first real job out of university, especially if the economy stinks.
                      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader View Post
                        It is tough getting your first real job out of university, especially if the economy stinks.
                        Agreed on that-- if the economy really stinkks it can be tough getting a job, period. During the last 10 years out here in Alberta , I have generally been confident regarding my ability to get other employment if needed but there were a couple of time periods where it could have been awful.

Up here we have been out of the recession for a while and the bad period was of limited duration so its easy to not understand how very tough it was in other locations for far longer. But in a tough enconomy there are always lots of applicants and in Alby's case, three years later he still looks a lot like the new grads but with gaps and regression

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          Yeah, chalk it all up to racism.

The Bank of America I go to near my house has practically all Arab clerks for whatever reason. If they can get jobs as bank clerks in Northern Virginia, they should be able to in Philly...
                          Are you saying that people with non white names aren't discriminated against solely based on name because they sound too black etc? Then you're ignorant, plain and simple. It's astounding that you still offer unsolicited opinions here given your astounding ignorance.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

ok great, so now all we need is for albie to come in here and admit how he has erred on the passive side and needs to start taking control of his life rather than blaming others, and then we can close this thread.

btw, my 1000th post in 10 years, giving a wooptiedooptie 100 post per year average! that calls for a celebration!

Comment

So, it is bad to name your daughter Shaquilla, Charquandra or Shaniqua if you want her to not have her CVs rejected?
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

I think it's just bad to name your daughter those things on principal, not because of possible racism.
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X