• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football 2013 Season

Tressel on borrowed time at Ohio State in wake of NCAA allegations

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Temple is changing back the football helmets from these from way back in the day (and the recent resurgence)

Back to these worn during the time as Division I-A football's laughingstock:

Why are they going back to the helmet of losers?

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The draft is in 3 days, let's talk about it.

Do you really think that Carolina will draft Newton with the #1 pick as most analysts predict? I think they deserve to lose if they do.
      I don't know what the Cowboys will do. OL is possible, but I'd rather they address that in the 2nd round. I'd rather they go defense first.
      Trading down is a Jones fascination though.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        The draft is in 3 days, let's talk about it.

Do you really think that Carolina will draft Newton with the #1 pick as most analysts predict? I think they deserve to lose if they do.
        I don't know what the Cowboys will do. OL is possible, but I'd rather they address that in the 2nd round. I'd rather they go defense first.
        Trading down is a Jones fascination though.
        Ron Rivera seemed enamored by Newton a few months ago when I posted an article about it and new coaches always seem to want to draft a QB. Cam Newton first overall to Carolina is just asking for a bust, though. I don't like his prospects if he goes there. Maybe if he were to fall to #10 Washington or something, I would be more optimistic about his future career, but I don't like him #1 to Carolina.

I like Blaine Gabbert. I think he's the real deal but I'll hold off making any predictions about his career til the draft because the team a young QB goes to can often mean more than his own ability. Assuming Newton goes 1st overall, Gabbert's probably going to Buffalo. I would have liked to see what moves the Bills made in free agency but there has been no free agency period... but I think the Bills, if they can address their O-line, and can have faith in Fitzpatrick to hang in there for at least half the season ahead of Gabbert, that Gabbert could become a star.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Washington needs to take a QB for sure. If Washington could get Gabbert that would be ideal. As a Cowboys fan, I'd hate to see it, but still...
          Newton hasn't proven himself to me. The NFL is pocket passing. It's a shame that the QB's being funneled to them are playing increasingly more Run and Shoot, all the way to high school level.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            I like Blaine Gabbert. I think he's the real deal but I'll hold off making any predictions about his career til the draft because the team a young QB goes to can often mean more than his own ability. Assuming Newton goes 1st overall, Gabbert's probably going to Buffalo. I would have liked to see what moves the Bills made in free agency but there has been no free agency period... but I think the Bills, if they can address their O-line, and can have faith in Fitzpatrick to hang in there for at least half the season ahead of Gabbert, that Gabbert could become a star.
            Much to the chagrin of others, Dave Razzano is not afraid to tell it like it is when he's evaluating talent.

“What does this guy do that anybody likes?” Dave Razzano asks, pressing the rewind button. “Every pass is an underneath curl route! It’s third-and-10 in the red zone – throw a [expletive] touchdown pass. But look at this: A three-yard dump-off. That’s all he does. He threw the ball just about every play, and he had 16 touchdown passes last season.

“This is the guy somebody’s gonna take in the top 10? Based on what? Trust me, they’re guessing.”
            Based on the few Missouri games I caught last season, I tend to agree with Razzano. I never saw anything particularly impressive about Gabbert. I think there's a lot of unwarranted hype, but very little evidence he's as good as some people seem to think.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Gabbert does indeed suck.

Comment

You're entitled to your opinion, but our local draft expert for the Dallas paper, Rick Gosselin who is considered a guru of sorts and traditionally has the most accurate predictions in the nation, agrees with me. He had Gabbert ranked #10.

Comment

Okay SEC fans...Some of you may know that I bleed Orange...The Vols kind of Orange. Most of what I read about the Vols these days is from websites that have some connection to UT. Therefore, I believe my info is biased. My question is: What does everybody out there think of the UT quarterback, Tyler Bray? Seems to have a huge arm and good pocket sense, but I do wear my Orange colored glasses a lot.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                    Okay SEC fans...Some of you may know that I bleed Orange...The Vols kind of Orange. Most of what I read about the Vols these days is from websites that have some connection to UT. Therefore, I believe my info is biased. My question is: What does everybody out there think of the UT quarterback, Tyler Bray? Seems to have a huge arm and good pocket sense, but I do wear my Orange colored glasses a lot.
                    Tenn still has a football program? Seriously though, because Tenn hasn't competed for SEC crown in the past however many years, they aren't being covered nationally. The last Tenn news I remember hearing was Lane Kiffen accusing Urban Meyer of recruiting violations and then hot footing it out to USC.

Comment

The Associated Press

2011 NFL Draft by school

9: Southern Cal, North Carolina.

8: Miami.

7: Nebraska.

6: Clemson, Georgia, Iowa, LSU.

5: Alabama, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, TCU, Wisconsin.

4: Auburn, Baylor, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Stanford, Texas, West Virginia.

3: Appalachian State, Arkansas, Arizona, Boise State, Florida State, Hawaii, Idaho, Louisville, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon State, South Florida, UCLA, Virginia Tech.

2: Fresno State, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Oregon, Penn State, San Diego State, South Carolina, Syracuse, Temple, Tennessee, UCF, Utah, Washington.

1: Abilene Christian, Alabama A&M, Arizona State, Arkansas State, Bethel (Tenn.), Boston College, Buffalo, California (Pa.), Central Arkansas, Chattanooga, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Eastern Washington, Florida Atlantic, Florida A&M, Florida International, Georgia Tech, Hampton, Kansas State, Kentucky, Lehigh, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, Mississippi, Missouri State, Montana, Montana State, Mount Union, New Mexico State, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Purdue, Portland State, Rice, Richmond, Slippery Rock 1, South Carolina State, Southern Illinois, SMU, Stephen F. Austin, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, The Citadel, Troy, Tulsa, Utah State, Villanova, Virginia, Washington State, West Texas A&M, Wyoming, Yale.

2011 NFL Draft by conference
                      Southeastern 38

Atlantic Coast 35

Pacific-10 31

Big 12 30

Big Ten 29

Big East 22

Western Athletic 16

Mountain West 10

Conference USA 7

Southern 5

Sun Belt 5

Big Sky 4

Mid-American 3

Mid-Eastern Athletic 3

Colonial Athletic Association 2

Lone Star 2

Missouri Valley 2

PSAC 2

Southland 2

Independents 1

Ivy League 1

Mid-South 1

Ohio Athletic 1

Patriot League 1

SWAC 1

Comment

Cha-ching

The Pac-10 has agreed to a 12-year television contract with ESPN and Fox that will more than triple its media rights fees and be the most valuable for any conference in college sports.

The contract, which will begin with the 2012-13 season, will be worth more than $225 million per year -- or $2.7 billion over the life of the deal, Sports Business Daily and The Associated Press reported on Tuesday.

A formal announcement of the contract is expected in the coming days.

"We are having productive discussions with the conference," ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz told Sports Business Daily on Tuesday.

The Pac-10 made less than $60 million in media rights this past season but became the latest conference to take advantage of the escalating market for college sports on television.

The ACC recently signed a deal for $155 million a year and the Big 12 reached a deal with Fox that made its total annual package worth about $130 million. The Pac-10, which will be renamed the Pac-12 in July with the additions of Utah and Colorado, topped those deals, as well as the $205 million the SEC gets and the $220 million paid to the Big Ten.

Under this deal, Fox and ESPN will split the rights to college football games. ESPN will air its games on cable as well as ABC and Fox showing its games on its broadcast network, basic cable network FX and on the Fox Sports Net regional networks.

Men's basketball games will be split mostly between ESPN and Fox Sports Net, with ESPN also getting rights to some Olympic sports that will likely be aired on ESPNU.

The two entities will alternate showing the Pac-12 football championship game and the men's basketball tournament. Fox, which will air the inaugural football title game this season, will have the first football championship under this contract in 2012, with ESPN getting the men's basketball tournament later that season, a person familiar with the deal told the AP.

Rights to some football and men's basketball games have not been given out yet, giving the conference the opportunity to start its own network if it chooses. Along with increasing rights fees and exposure as this deal does, commissioner Larry Scott also went into negotiations looking to start a Pac-12 network to provide an outlet to broadcast non-revenue sports and to help brand the conference.

Finalizing a media rights deal is the latest step in the transformation of the conference under Scott, who took over from Tom Hansen in July 2009.

Scott spearheaded last year's expansion effort and then got the schools to agree to an equal revenue sharing plan and aggregate all of their media rights at the conference level.

That set the stage for the television negotiations, which began in earnest April 1. While Comcast/NBC was an aggressive bidder and Turner Sports also was interested, incumbents Fox and ESPN won out.

This deal means full revenue sharing will kick in as soon as this contract begins. As part of an agreement to give up their historically larger share of television revenues, Southern California and UCLA were each to receive a $2 million premium any year that the media rights did not reach $170 million.
                        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

The Pac10 was only getting 60 million per year before?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                            The Associated Press

2011 NFL Draft by school

9: Southern Cal, North Carolina.

8: Miami.

7: Nebraska.

6: Clemson, Georgia, Iowa, LSU.

5: Alabama, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, TCU, Wisconsin.

4: Auburn, Baylor, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Stanford, Texas, West Virginia.

3: Appalachian State, Arkansas, Arizona, Boise State, Florida State, Hawaii, Idaho, Louisville, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon State, South Florida, UCLA, Virginia Tech.

2: Fresno State, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Oregon, Penn State, San Diego State, South Carolina, Syracuse, Temple, Tennessee, UCF, Utah, Washington.

1: Abilene Christian, Alabama A&M, Arizona State, Arkansas State, Bethel (Tenn.), Boston College, Buffalo, California (Pa.), Central Arkansas, Chattanooga, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Eastern Washington, Florida Atlantic, Florida A&M, Florida International, Georgia Tech, Hampton, Kansas State, Kentucky, Lehigh, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, Mississippi, Missouri State, Montana, Montana State, Mount Union, New Mexico State, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Purdue, Portland State, Rice, Richmond, Slippery Rock 1, South Carolina State, Southern Illinois, SMU, Stephen F. Austin, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, The Citadel, Troy, Tulsa, Utah State, Villanova, Virginia, Washington State, West Texas A&M, Wyoming, Yale.

2011 NFL Draft by conference
                            Southeastern 38

Pacific-12 37

Big Ten(+2) 36

Atlantic Coast 35

Big East 22

Big 12(-2) 19

Western Athletic 16

Mountain West 8

Conference USA 7

Southern 5

Sun Belt 5

Big Sky 4

Mid-American 3

Mid-Eastern Athletic 3

Colonial Athletic Association 2

Lone Star 2

Missouri Valley 2

PSAC 2

Southland 2

Independents 1

Ivy League 1

Mid-South 1

Ohio Athletic 1

Patriot League 1

SWAC 1
                            Fixed

Comment

Irrelevant but interesting; hadn't thought of that.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X