Nuke happy AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuke happy AI

Any ideas if there is a way to stop the AI using nukes too readily? I've not been nuked when I have them myself but for a second game where I don't have uranium and one of them does I'm getting nukes dropped on me - by Gandhi! (what happened to non violent protest?)

I could see why Catherine used them the first time this happened to me as I had just captured one of her cities and was about to push for a couple more. This time Gandhi just decided to nuke the only city of mine he could reach (archipelago map) after he and two other AI's declared on me (OK I wiped the Persians out early and the AI's all hate me). My gripe is that there is no disincentive to using nuclear bombs - either an environmental penalty, a negative attitude from other leaders or any apparent reluctance to throw a few around.

Even more annoying is that there is no defence. Nuclear bombs are delivered by aircraft. Such aircraft can be shot down and fail to reach their target - except in Civ5. Even anti ballistic missile systems are technically possible in RL so why can't they be in the game.

I'm also not impressed that units within a city are totally destroyed. Damaged yes but destroyed - too much.

Hopefully the devs will take this back to the drawing board - then again with all the other things that need to go back to the drawing board I'm not going to hold my breath.
    Never give an AI an even break.

I haven't noticed this.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I have to argee with Oerdin. I have played many games with the only person using nukes is me.

Mike

Comment

So I need to improve my gameplay skills (this has only started when I stepped up from Prince to King - at Prince I was the only one who got as far as nukes).
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I'm playing King and thinking about moving up, so it is possible at King level not to get nuked randomly.

Mike

Comment

i play most of my games on immortal and this happens every now and then. i hade one game where the ai was dropping a nuke on me every turn for quite awhile. and since nukes are ridiculously overpowered such games really stick out.

and your right besides capturing all sources of uranium there is **** all you can do to stop them. and other then the hammers/gold it took to build the nuke there is no negative effect for the dropper.

Comment

I've been nuke-annihilated by Nappie. And I often see fallout different places on the map. This is the first Civ game where I have been forced to build nukes to defend myself. I like this. It works as a deterrent.
              Fool me once, shame on you.
              Fool me twice, shame on me

Comment

there is no deterrent that is all in your head. who ever nukes first win cus nukes kill nukes.

Comment

You misunderstand me. I build them, so I know I'm not **** out of luck when someone comes steamrolling with 5 nukes.

Comment

but your ****ed no matter how many nukes you build. cus they will die when they are nuked.

Comment

Well, if you're silly enough to place all your nukes in one border town, then yes.

I place my nukes in different cities, and when I get around to it on a carrier.

Comment

wasn't there some civ4 mod where you could have MAD? in other words, you get fired upon, then during the same moment nuke(s) fires back?

Comment

Originally posted by jbavon View Post
                          Well, if you're silly enough to place all your nukes in one border town, then yes.

I place my nukes in different cities, and when I get around to it on a carrier.
                          not everyone plays on large maps. a fact that not only you but also the civ 5 dev team overlooked.

Comment

I play on small maps.

Comment

then you should know what iam talking about. the range of nukes makes it impossible to hide yours. yes the ai is stupied so he might miss yours. but a human wont. so nukes arent just horribly overpowered they also favour the players.

i really cant belive people are actaully defending nukes in civ 5.

Comment

Working...
                              X