No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert made the Baretheon lords be beneath Renly and not Stannis. This meant that they had a non-obvious choice and decided to go with their direct lord (Renly).

I think that is the only somewhat questionable thing, but Tyrell wanting power and combining with Baretheon (Renly) makes sense from Tyrell's perspective.

Are they not also an 'upstart house'.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
      Yeah, John Snow's character is great but a lot of his chapters in the books are of him thinking about stuff and trying to work things out. It's hard to turn that into a TV show.
      Agreed-- It should be better from here on out. His interactions should get less introspective LOL
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
        Robert made the Baretheon lords be beneath Renly and not Stannis. This meant that they had a non-obvious choice and decided to go with their direct lord (Renly).

I think that is the only somewhat questionable thing, but Tyrell wanting power and combining with Baretheon (Renly) makes sense from Tyrell's perspective.

Are they not also an 'upstart house'.

JM
        IIRC, they took over those lands after the Targaryens wiped out the former house. They weren't even lords in their own right, but served as stewards to the previous house (I want to say... Gardeners?)
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• what were the 2 charred bodies hanging at the end?

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
            IIRC, they took over those lands after the Targaryens wiped out the former house. They weren't even lords in their own right, but served as stewards to the previous house (I want to say... Gardeners?)
            From the Appendix:
            The Tyrells rose to power as stewards to the Kings of the Reach, whose domain included the fertile plains of the southwest from the Dornish marches and Blackwater Rush to the shores of the Sunset Sea. Through the female line, they claim descent from Garth Greenhand, gardener king of the First Men, who wore a crown of vines and flowers and made the land bloom. When King Mern, last of the old line, perished on the Field of Fire, his steward Harlen Tyrell surrendered Highgarden to Aegon Targaryen, pledging fealty. Aegon granted him the castle and dominion over the Reach.
            From the viewer's guide:
            For centuries, the Tyrells served and occasionally intermarried with House Gardener, the ancient family of the King of the Reach. But after the Targaryen conquest eliminated the Gardeners, the Tyrells bent the knee to the Iron Throne – and then rose to become principal house and Warden of the South.
            Mace Tyrell is Lord of Highgarden, Warden of the South, Defender of the Marches and High Marshal of the Reach.

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
            what were the 2 charred bodies hanging at the end?
            Two unfortunate kids.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Ygritte is a hottie and a half.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                But my simple point was in a land where authority for most lords comes from them being eldest, you reject an elder brother at your peril.
                Agreed.

But on thinking this through, the Tyrell support for Renly was simple self-interest through both the lover connection with Loras and then them wedding the daughter-- If Renly became king the tyrells would have had a Tyrell as queen and another as lover to the king. Logic would not have entered into LOras thinking on this one
                Seems to be right. Let's just say the Tyrells tend to be an oppertunistic bunch - after all, you'll note they didn't declare for Stannis after the death of Renly.

Oh and I misremembered-- I think Tyrion said they were the third richest house but what I am reading indicates they had the ability to raise the largest armies by far-- earlier I think I commented they had the 3rd biggest army-- and that would be incorrect
                IIRC, the Reach is the richest region after the gold mines of Casterly Rock.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I am unclear - did Xaro Xhoan Daxos come to Qarth with nothing?
                  Is he the richest man in Qarth? I wish the writers would make this known.
                  A man has asked.
                  And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                    Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
                      I am unclear - did Xaro Xhoan Daxos come to Qarth with nothing?
                      A man has asked.
                      More importantly, does he have any regrets about it?

Comment

We see them earlier in the episode, I can tell this much.

Comment

The charred bodies of two small boys. Obviously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
                            I am unclear - did Xaro Xhoan Daxos come to Qarth with nothing?
                            A man has asked.
                            Yes he supposedly came to Qarth with nothing, no he's not the richest just one of the richest (he's on the 13), and right now the TV series is going far away from what happened in the books.

Comment

• A man needs to better recognize sarcasm.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                                A man needs to better recognize sarcasm.
                                LOL

A man gets tired of the repetition on TV
                                A man not watching may not comprehend
                                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                                X