• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
    I thought it was great.

In 1 hour we had

Spoiler:
    ritualised mass murder, murder for political advantage, execution, whoring, a fight to the death over a woman, rape in marriage, incest, casual infanticide

Amazing.
    When you put it like that, what's not to like!?

Especially when you get to 'double bill' it with the latest Spartacus, like I did...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Stark even sounds a bit like York.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh View Post
        Also Joffrey (crown price kid) and Theon (the no name guy who wanted to kill the wolves) got their bits in this part of the story cut out. In the book Theon kicks the rolling head and smirks. He's a piece of work...
        Considering the importance of both later... isn't this a bad thing?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well considering how many characters they squeezed into the first episode, I think we can be excused. We got to see Joffrey looking like a twit and Sansa going ga-ga for him so that's established and Theon can be dealt with later without messing anything else up.

But there's just so much **** going on in the ten chapters they decided to cover that it's hard to avoid leaving stuff out, so in order to get people who know who most of the cast was I thought some of the characterization came across as a bit un-subtle (this is the BASTARD, he is a BASTARD this is the DWARF he likes WHORES, yup he really likes WHORES). Reviewers (who've screened the first six episodes) say that the first was the weakest of the first six.
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

As someone who hasn't read the book:

It's an incredibly hard job to introduce SO many characters, give us an idea of their personalities and how they fit together, and also tell such a large amount of plot in only an hour.

As someone said, many dramas would have required 2 hours to do the same. But still, it didn't feel rushed, and I have at least a vague idea who everyone is. And most importantly, I'm very interested in what's going to happen next. So they did a great job.
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

I'm glad I read the books so long ago that I remember a lot of the characters so I din't feel the rush that some are talking about. And so long ago that I don't remember every specific thing so if they stray from the original a bit, I didn't notice. Overall I thought they did a decent job and assume it will get better as it goes along. And there's nothing wrong with a little gratuitous T&A.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It didn't seem gratuitous in context. (Unlike Spartacus, where it definitely is gratuitous).

I have ordered the books.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Spartacus was a male soap opera... gratuitous sex and violence... great show

Game of Thrones was great. Like Rah, I had read the books many years ago and took a little bit to remember WTF was going on. It was probably harder for somebody who hadn't read the book. But it's off to a great start. Some great casting and a decent script.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I may actually read the latest one. I hadn't gotten around to it because of the long gap, I was worried that it would take too long to get back into all the characters, it didn't take that long watching last night, so there is hope and my interest has gone up after watching.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Note to people who haven't read the books: Lecherdwarf (Tyrion) and tomboy Stark daughter (Arya) are probably the two most popular characters among readers of the books, the fact that they both have actors that seem like they can carry the parts is cause for much rejoicing. They both have miles of awesome and heartache in store for them...
                      Indeed. Jaime Lannister has been my favorite character, especially since Storm of Swords, so I'm really glad with they got Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to play the part. He was excellent on the short lived "New Amsterdam".
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                        It's an incredibly hard job to introduce SO many characters, give us an idea of their personalities and how they fit together, and also tell such a large amount of plot in only an hour.
                        Of course it only gets worse as upcoming seasons come into play. Though I guess those can be introduced slowly...
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          Of course it only gets worse as upcoming seasons come into play. Though I guess those can be introduced slowly...
                          Well, really, the total number of characters probably stays about the same given that the new characters are almost canceled out by disappearing old ones.
                          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                            I may actually read the latest one. I hadn't gotten around to it because of the long gap, I was worried that it would take too long to get back into all the characters, it didn't take that long watching last night, so there is hope and my interest has gone up after watching.
                            Just be aware that Feast for Crows was relatively weak since it was originally intended to be part of Dance with Dragons (or vice versa).
                            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

(this is the BASTARD, he is a BASTARD this is the DWARF he likes WHORES, yup he really likes WHORES).
                              Good television.
                              Last edited by Heraclitus; April 20, 2011, 15:27.
                              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I read more about Games of Thrones in my local newspaper's entertainment section. I don't have HBO here, but now I want to go the library, and start reading the books.

And someone in here (can't be arsed to go back one page now) mentioned something about HBO giving T&A because they are HBO. What does the shorthand, "T&A" stand for??
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X