Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
    LOL.

Now you're straying into the absurd. Breaking Bad can't stand up to the quality expected by broadcast TV viewers?

LMAO!
    It can't get the same ratings. I don't think this is all that controversial. I mean Mad Men has won like 4 Emmy's for Best Drama and it can't crack a 1.0 rating. There was a reason that Arrested Development fans were hoping Showtime would actually pick it up after FOX canceled it (the low ratings wouldn't have mattered that much to Showtime), but the producer Mitch Hurwitz didn't want to do it.

But they didn't. If my aunt was a man she'd be my uncle. What an awful argument.
    Because it shows that the FCC is no barrier to most cable shows on broadcast TV?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
      I restate: Why are you entitled to get something for free?
      Basically: we don't care that people get pissed off, we'll pirate what we want.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
        So how do the two platforms hold up at awards time?

Emmys? Cable has virtually swept the last three years.

Don't like the Emmy's and prefer the Golden Globes? Same result.
        For Drama only because of Mad Men. Prior to Mad Men's 4 straight Emmy's it was HBO's The Sopranos preceded by FOX's 24 and then ABC's Lost followed by HBO's The Sopranos again after 4 straight years of NBC's The West Wing winning.

For Comedy you are completely wrong. ABC's Modern Family has won the last 2 Emmy's preceded by NBC's 30 Rock (which won 3 straight years). A cable channel hasn't won best Emmy Comedy since 2001 (HBO's Sex & the City).

For the Golden Globes, its a bit different. Showtime's Homeland won this year, preceded by HBO's Boardwalk Empire, which was preceded by AMC's Mad Men for 3 years. But prior to that, broadcast was winning awards through the 2000s except for HBO's Six Feet Under winning in 2001.

As for Golden Globes Comedy or Drama, the last 3 winners were ABC's Modern Family and FOX's Glee (twice).

Anything else you'd like to be incorrect about?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It can't get the same ratings. I don't think this is all that controversial. I mean Mad Men has won like 4 Emmy's for Best Drama and it can't crack a 1.0 rating. There was a reason that Arrested Development fans were hoping Showtime would actually pick it up after FOX canceled it (the low ratings wouldn't have mattered that much to Showtime), but the producer Mitch Hurwitz didn't want to do it.
          Of course it can't get the same ratings as it isn't available in anywhere near as many households. To imply low ratings are a result of less than par quality is, I repeat, laughable (and you know it).

Because it shows that the FCC is no barrier to most cable shows on broadcast TV?
          All you've done is name a couple of cable shows that might have possibly been considered for broadcast TV at one time. To imply they both could have and would have been the same as the versions that DID actually air on cable is conjecture at best.

The closest we have is Sopranos and the atrocity it became when edited for "regular" TV. I have no idea why you think this particular argument supports your point.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

For Drama only because of Mad Men. Prior to Mad Men's 4 straight Emmy's it was HBO's The Sopranos preceded by FOX's 24 and then ABC's Lost followed by HBO's The Sopranos again after 4 straight years of NBC's The West Wing winning.
            I said the last few years and you have now conceded the point. Thank you.

For Comedy you are completely wrong. ABC's Modern Family has won the last 2 Emmy's preceded by NBC's 30 Rock (which won 3 straight years). A cable channel hasn't won best Emmy Comedy since 2001 (HBO's Sex & the City).

How about for musicals? Drama is the category that counts.

For the Golden Globes, its a bit different. Showtime's Homeland won this year, preceded by HBO's Boardwalk Empire, which was preceded by AMC's Mad Men for 3 years. But prior to that, broadcast was winning awards through the 2000s except for HBO's Six Feet Under winning in 2001.

Again, you concede my point.

Keep in mind, aside from HBO there weren't many cable productions prior to the last 10 years.

As for Golden Globes Comedy or Drama, the last 3 winners were ABC's Modern Family and FOX's Glee (twice).

Again, comedy.

Anything else you'd like to be incorrect about?
            I think you have proved my point in this post. Thanks for doing the legwork.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Btw Imran...

You just listed the winners. How about the nominations?

An equally impressive sweep by cable.

Comment

I restate: Why are you entitled to get something for free?
                He actually doesn't want them for free. He just doesn't want to wait a year to watch them, well after all the discussion about the show has passed.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                  He actually doesn't want them for free. He just doesn't want to wait a year to watch them, well after all the discussion about the show has passed.
                  ...and?

I fail to see this as a compelling argument for piracy.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• ...and no one cares about what you think Guy. We'll pirate it because we want to watch it. Our cares stop right there. We'd prefer to buy it (a personal feeling based on whatever) but pragmatically if it's a choice between not watching it and being a criminal, most people will chose to be a criminal.
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• I care about what Guy thinks, even when I disagree.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
                        ...and no one cares about what you think Guy. We'll pirate it because we want to watch it. Our cares stop right there. We'd prefer to buy it (a personal feeling based on whatever) but pragmatically if it's a choice between not watching it and being a criminal, most people will chose to be a criminal.
                        And that is ****ing pathetic.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• If it makes you feel better, Guy, I've stopped torrenting books. Now I stream them!
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• an interesting POV

No one actually knows what the impact of piracy is on the book publishing industry.
                            And what about Libraries... aren't they just "pirates". Sure, they buy a copy, but then lend it out to anybody.
                            How is that different than somebody that buys a dvd, and then uploades it on the net?
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• My position is I will make a good faith effort to financially support shows, movies, and games which I like but if I want it now and the studio is playing games like waiting 1 year before selling the season Blu-Ray, messing around with different edition in an attempt to get people to buy multiple copies before releasing the final directors cut with extras, or they're charging what I consider a ridiculous price which I know will go down (example when they released a new digitally remastered Beattles CD with some never before released material and they wanted $999.99 for the CD; two years later most of that same material was later released on anther CD for $14.99). I also have a strict try it before you buy it policy on video games because I've just gotten burned too many times. One of my few pre-order and buy it unseen cases was Civ5 and that turned out to be a complete piece of ****.

I'd say in total with movies I end up buying like 1/3 to 1/4 of the movies I do load and around 1/2 of the games I download. That means I buy a lot more music, movies, and games then the average guy and I'm actually a really good customer for them but the hard truth is technology has changed everything, I'm actually one of the rare guys who still pays for stuff, and the RIAA is going to have accept the days of charging huge mark ups and taking most of it for itself (often cheating artists and actors entirely) are over. They no longer have a strangle hold so they can no longer justify massive margins because they're no longer the gate keeper so they're going to have to start being more responsive to customers and less demanding about absurd fees.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                                I think I'm just about the only person who doesn't find her even remotely attractive.

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                                X