A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
    I thought it was pretty much a given that it was at least loosely based on the War of the Roses. It's definitely got a medieval English wrangling-for-power vibe to it. Add in some sorcery, mythical creatures and swarthy easterners and there ya go!

-Arrian

The Lannisters are the Lancasters. The Starks are the Yorks.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

While I kind of agree, you could say that about any country during those times. Wrangling-for-power isn't specific to anybody.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Did the war of the roses have twins and dwarfs.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sure, rah, but the flavor is English (the tons of English actors & accents help w/that ). Not that that's a bad thing. I don't mind that at all.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
            Did the war of the roses have twins and dwarfs.
            Bugs in 3... 2... 1...

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Sure, rah, but the flavor is English (the tons of English actors & accents help w/that ). Not that that's a bad thing. I don't mind that at all.

-Arrian
              I haven't see it yet. And when you read the books.... I didn't make that connection when I first read them. All I thought was 'typical medieval setting'.
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Perhaps you're right. Or perhaps what you think of as "typical medieval setting" is, well, English. It is for me.

-Arrian

Comment

-Arrian
                  If you're able to understand what they speak

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                    I haven't see it yet. And when you read the books.... I didn't make that connection when I first read them. All I thought was 'typical medieval setting'.
                    but are there not dragons and demons?

Comment

I thought it was great.

In 1 hour we had

Spoiler:
                      ritualised mass murder, murder for political advantage, execution, whoring, a fight to the death over a woman, rape in marriage, incest, casual infanticide

Amazing.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                        I've never read the books, or even heard anything about them before, so I admit to being a wee bit confused by all the characters and backstory they tried to stuff into the show. So, please correct me if I am wrong, but...

Was that the queen and her brother ****ing doggy-style at the end, or did I take too much allergy medication?
                        Yes I know. In the book the Queen was on top I think.

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                        Delightful! And the roguish dwarf brother serves as their fluffer?
                        Anyone else here found the imp's whores awesome? I hope they keep them as hot through the series.

Nice one, Cort.

I'm interested, but not sold. I've never read the books. It's the first episode, with lots of intoductions, so I'll cut it some slack. It's also HBO, which allows me to cut some more slack and also roll my eyes a bit at the gratuitous T&A (T&A is nice, don't get me wrong, but there's ways of doing it right and ways of doing it just so you can do it, 'cause you're HBO, b*tches!). The marriage consumation scene was effing disturbing.
                        They've actually toned it down from the book. For example in the book the scene with Eddard in the bed where the monk guy comes in, Catlyn is naked and aching from ... guess.
                        Last edited by Heraclitus; April 20, 2011, 04:03.
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Note to people who haven't read the books: Lecherdwarf (Tyrion) and tomboy Stark daughter (Arya) are probably the two most popular characters among readers of the books, the fact that they both have actors that seem like they can carry the parts is cause for much rejoicing. They both have miles of awesome and heartache in store for them...
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                            I'd let the dwarf do it.
                            Stuff like this is so freaking hilarious when you know what will happen to those two characters.

The author was born in Jersey, and not really loosely based on anything.
                            Vaguely inspired by The War of the Roses. Vaguely. Each family (of Starks and Lannisters is a big like either the Yorks or the Lancasters (Lannister even sounds a bit like Lancaster...)
                            Robert = Edward IV etc.
                            An exceedingly awesome character = Warwick.

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                            I thought it was great.

In 1 hour we had
                            Amazing.
                            That's a slow start compared with what happens in some of the latter episodes Keep on watching

Yes I know. In the book the Queen was on top I think.
                            They were both standing up, her backed against a wall.
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Is it pretty true to the books?

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Very much so. They condensed a lot of stuff (future episodes should be less condensed) and simplified a bit here and there and a few little bits were added but the main differences is that the Others/White Walkers were more badass/creepy in the book (they cut the ****ing sword fight!) and the marriage scene was less rapey...

Also Joffrey (crown price kid) and Theon (the no name guy who wanted to kill the wolves) got their bits in this part of the story cut out. In the book Theon kicks the rolling head and smirks. He's a piece of work...
                                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X