No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You may have to learn to live with the latter (and somewhat increased roll) while enjoying the former .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I have now reached the point in the book where my main man Little Tezzy has received a disturbing letter from the North. If the implied contents are true... damn, Martin doesn't pull any punches, does he?
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• The supernatural part that grated on you grated on me as well the first time I read it. That is the only real supernatural bit that ever got under my skin at all, the rest never bothered me, including other supernatural stuff that you haven't got to yet. But the series is a fantasy series after all, it's just that Martin is usually subtle about it enough that it doesn't clash with the historical fictiony aspects.
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• Of course it seems that what supernatural things which has pained Guy to read is something that going to be incredibly central to the last few books.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• So, apparently Martin does pull some punches.

One other quibble with the first two books:
            Spoiler:
            Theon's character arc could be smoother. In the first book, he's a bit of a douche, but not necessarily evil. He comes with a pretty legitimate kick-ass plan to take over Casterly Rock and Lannisport, dad says **** that ****, we're going north, and Theon turns into a evil murderous dickbag overnight.

I think if he had some POV chapters in the first book, giving some of his internal monologue with regards to his background, it wouldn't be so jarring.

I wonder how they'll cast some of the season two roles in the TV show--Stannis, Davos, Melisandre, Brienne.
            Last edited by Guynemer; June 1, 2011, 19:38.

Comment

• we need separate threads for the book and the tv show.

Comment

• Sorry bro, I'll spoiler tag that.

Comment

• About Theon
                  Spoiler:

He was always a douche and he always felt aggrieved and wanted attention. After he goes and takes Winterfell all of the people he grew up with treat him like **** which really gets under his skin and he feels that the only way he can keep Winterfell is by being "hard." He's out of his depths and flailing trying to keep afloat and everything that he does just drives him deeper.

It's like a sitcom plot in which a lie spawns more and more lies to keep the original lie afloat. Theon's douchebaggery spawns more and more doubebaggery trying to keep his original act of douchebaggery (taking Winterfell) afloat. Like his sister told him, he should've raided Winterfell for prisoners, keeping it just wasn't possible over the long haul and his attempts to do that quickly make things worse and worse.
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• Spoiler:
                    Always a douche, yes, but one never got the sense of being aggrieved or wanting attention in the first book; it really just showed up in full force in book two.

Comment

• Originally posted by a.kitman View Post

littlefinger
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        Always a douche, yes, but one never got the sense of being aggrieved or wanting attention in the first book; it really just showed up in full force in book two.
                        Spoiler:
                        Me neither, for my first read through Theon was just Robb's archer buddy for me, but if you reread the first book and specifically look for signs of Theon being aggrieved and wanting attention then they're there. A LOT of stuff in the first book looks really really different if you reread it after having read the rest of the series. However, the signs of Theon being like that are pretty subtle since Theon gets so little screen time in the first book. The TV show is trying to thread the line between making sure that his personality is clear ahead of time and not making his atrocities too easy to predict, personally I think he's getting too much screen time in the TV series since he doesn't do anything of any importance in the first book and then they use him to inflict Ros on us
                        Last edited by Bosh; June 2, 2011, 01:40.
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• Can't speak to the second read-though stuff, but agreed on the TV stuff.

Comment

• This last episode was crap - there was no dwarf.
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Is it not an ensemble cast like the books?

I liked the dwarf, but he wasn't my favorite character. I would be sad if he was the only character carrying the show.

I actually liked Ned a lot, for example.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                                This last episode was crap - there was no dwarf.
                                I missed him too.

Comment

Working...
                                X