No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW, looking up episode list for GoT I stumbled upon another HBO series, Boardwalk Empire.
    I heartily recommend it to everyone looking for a realistic show for adults. I'm watching
    it in parallel with GoT and enjoying both.

Comment

• Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
      BTW, looking up episode list for GoT I stumbled upon another HBO series, Boardwalk Empire.
      I heartily recommend it to everyone looking for a realistic show for adults. I'm watching
      Both are outstanding shows.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
        BTW, looking up episode list for GoT I stumbled upon another HBO series, Boardwalk Empire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
          Laz, your smug superior cynicism is getting a tad boring. Obviously us untermench vermin who are actually enjoying this thing aren't fit to clean your boots, but if you find it that bad, just ****ing switch it off, yeah?

Oh **** off. Getting annoyed about one distinct (and weak) subplot isn't smug in the slightest. I'm still watching it because the rest is pretty good.

If you want to defend the horsey-horsey sub-plot, then defend it. Go on. Explain why the horsey-horse overkill is actually great. Then explain why you're getting upset by someone criticising one aspect of a TV show.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• annoying or godawful? make up your mind. i dont see why the horses get to you. they are basicly a warrior tribe that base there tactic around horses, its isnt far fatched at all that horses would be at the center for there culture aswell. also mr golden crown have been imo the best acted villan so far. iam enjoying dragon lady grow up as the show go on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
              Laz, your smug superior cynicism is getting a tad boring. Obviously us untermench vermin who are actually enjoying this thing aren't fit to clean your boots, but if you find it that bad, just ****ing switch it off, yeah?
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by a.kitman View Post
                annoying or godawful? make up your mind. i dont see why the horses get to you. they are basicly a warrior tribe that base there tactic around horses, its isnt far fatched at all that horses would be at the center for there culture aswell.

"Godawful" is good. That works for me. That sub-plot is the Jar-Jar Binks of the show. Cue "OMG IF YOU'VE GOT NOTHING POSITIVE TO SAY ABOUT JAR-JAR THEN DON'T TALK ABOUT STAR WARS AT ALL!!1one!!!".

As for your next point? Try actually reading about the horse-based nomadic civilisations, such as the Mongols. Their religion, for example- Tengriism. It's a rich array of elemental pan-animism, with a complex mythology. "Great Stallion" my arse. It says a lot that this "fantasy" looks underwritten and dreary when compared to mere real-life equivalents.

Comment

• Quick round-up of the acting so far-

Sean Bean- Good. Then again, he's playing much the same character as he's played many times before, so you'd expect him to be good.

Mrs Sean Bean- Meh.

King Shoutybeard- Doing well, but I can't help getting the impression the part was specifically written for Brian Blessed. Wouldn't you just fork out your life savings to see that? He'd not just steal every scene- he'd eat it, gob it back out, and then bellow at it.

The Stark kids- really good performances.

Richard Dinklage- Epic. The little guy's going to be a star, because he's stealing every scene effortlessly. By series 3, he'll be demanding a million per episode.

Blonde Incest Fop Man- Crap. Try a different facial expression, for the love of Odin.

Blonde Incest Queen Woman- Good one. A more nuanced performance than many are delivering.

Mayor Tommy Carcetti- Great. Then again, he always is.

Iain Glen the "What The **** Is Going On?" Man- Good actor in a horribly underwritten part.

Stark's sons- Having trouble telling them apart. Both annoying.

Princess Blondie Perkytits of Horseland- Gamely doing her best in the crap sub-plot, and almost making it bearable.

King Stallion of Horseland- He's there to look hard, and not say much. Might as well be replaced with a side of Aberdeen Angus.

Miss "Only There To Keep The Ratings Up"- She's been in the last couple of episodes, fulfilling no obvious purpose beyond displaying her vagina. Can't really comment on the acting, but thanks for the mimsy anyway.

Stragglybeard- Shags Miss "Only There To Keep The Ratings Up", and I've completely forgotten who he is, or what he's supposed to do.

Meltyface Scowler and Big Angry Scowler- You know. The ones who show up at the jousts. Not sure what they're for. Don't have dialogue to speak of, but scowlling is nice. Scowling works.

I could have sworn I saw Charles Dance too. Another good actor, so let's hope they use him.

Comment

• Who is Miss "only there to keep the ratings up"?

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                      Quick round-up of the acting so far-

Sean Bean- Good. Then again, he's playing much the same character as he's played many times before, so you'd expect him to be good.

Mrs Sean Bean- Meh.

King Shoutybeard- Doing well, but I can't help getting the impression the part was specifically written for Brian Blessed. Wouldn't you just fork out your life savings to see that? He'd not just steal every scene- he'd eat it, gob it back out, and then bellow at it.

The Stark kids- really good performances.

Richard Dinklage- Epic. The little guy's going to be a star, because he's stealing every scene effortlessly. By series 3, he'll be demanding a million per episode.

Blonde Incest Fop Man- Crap. Try a different facial expression, for the love of Odin.

Blonde Incest Queen Woman- Good one. A more nuanced performance than many are delivering.

Mayor Tommy Carcetti- Great. Then again, he always is.

Iain Glen the "What The **** Is Going On?" Man- Good actor in a horribly underwritten part.

Stark's sons- Having trouble telling them apart. Both annoying.

Princess Blondie Perkytits of Horseland- Gamely doing her best in the crap sub-plot, and almost making it bearable.

King Stallion of Horseland- He's there to look hard, and not say much. Might as well be replaced with a side of Aberdeen Angus.

Miss "Only There To Keep The Ratings Up"- She's been in the last couple of episodes, fulfilling no obvious purpose beyond displaying her vagina. Can't really comment on the acting, but thanks for the mimsy anyway.

Stragglybeard- Shags Miss "Only There To Keep The Ratings Up", and I've completely forgotten who he is, or what he's supposed to do.

Meltyface Scowler and Big Angry Scowler- You know. The ones who show up at the jousts. Not sure what they're for. Don't have dialogue to speak of, but scowlling is nice. Scowling works.

I could have sworn I saw Charles Dance too. Another good actor, so let's hope they use him.

Comment

• what would have happene if she could not hold down the horse heart?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                          Who is Miss "only there to keep the ratings up"?

JM

The one who was showing her vagina while being shagged from behind over a table, and who appeared in the next episodes showing her vagina while riding out of Winterfell on a cart full of parsnips.

Comment

• Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                            what would have happene if she could not hold down the horse heart?

She would have had to wear the Saddle Of Shame. Probably.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              She would have had to wear the Saddle Of Shame. Probably.
                              TY, I just thought that it may have been explained in the book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                                TY, I just thought that it may have been explained in the book.
                                ... The heart of a stallion would make her son strong and swift and fearless, or so the Dothraki believed, but only if the mother could eat it all. If she choked on the blood or retched up the flesh, the omens were less favorable; the child might be stillborn, or come forth weak, deformed, or female.

Her handmaids had helped her ready herself for the ceremony. Despite the tender mother's stomach that had afflicted her these past two moons, Dany had dined on bowls of half-clotted blood to accustom herself to the taste, and Irri made her chew strips of dried horseflesh until her jaws were aching. She had starved herself for a day and a night before the ceremony in the hopes the hunger would help her keep down the raw meat.
                                - pp. 489-90
                                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                                X