Application error in windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application error in windows 7

I'm having a weird problem lately in Windows 7. Trying to run either CivCTP or CTP2, I get the error message:
    "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application."

This seemed to start shortly after I tried out some mods on both games, then decided I didn't like the mods. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, cleaned the registry, etc. but still get the same message. No other programs are affected.

Thanks for any help, I'd really like to play these games again someday.

For CTP2 you could try out the Apolyton Edition. It is a fan made patch with a lot of bug fixes.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann View Post
      For CTP2 you could try out the Apolyton Edition. It is a fan made patch with a lot of bug fixes.

-Martin
      Well, for me it seemed to cause more bugs than it fixed. And it was after I tried to get rid of the AE and go back to the basic CTP2 that I couldn't access the program anymore.
      So now what's the procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by weswood View Post
        Well, for me it seemed to cause more bugs than it fixed.
        Don't you have for that some crash.txts. You could post their content, in the appropriate forum thread. Probably, I won't come around to fix them so soon, but at least the stuff would be there.

And it was after I tried to get rid of the AE and go back to the basic CTP2 that I couldn't access the program anymore.
        Did you make sure to get rid of all files, you had in your CTP2 folder? Well, of course unless it were savegames.

-Martin

Comment

Did you make sure to get rid of all files, you had in your CTP2 folder? Well, of course unless it were savegames.

-Martin
          Yeah, I got rid of everything, ran uninstallers and then deleted folders until there was no trace. Reinstalled from scratch, still having problems. This was the GOG.com version, in case that makes a difference.

Comment

This was the GOG.com version, in case that makes a difference.
            Probably not.

That's now pretty hard to guess what it is. It could be that you have got a new DirectX version, but it is unlikely that it causes problems. You may have installed new Indeo5 video drivers. In that case it would help if you disable movies. I think there should be an option in the userprofile.txt in your ..\ctp2_program\ctp\ folder. Maybe the operting system put a copy of the file somewhere in the settings folder, since Windows 7 doesn't like to modify the content of program folders.

So that could be a lot of causes. I could be able to narrow it down if you show me the content of the crash.txt.

-Martin

Comment

Probably not.

That's now pretty hard to guess what it is. It could be that you have got a new DirectX version, but it is unlikely that it causes problems. You may have installed new Indeo5 video drivers. In that case it would help if you disable movies. I think there should be an option in the userprofile.txt in your ..\ctp2_program\ctp\ folder. Maybe the operting system put a copy of the file somewhere in the settings folder, since Windows 7 doesn't like to modify the content of program folders.

So that could be a lot of causes. I could be able to narrow it down if you show me the content of the crash.txt.

-Martin
              Forgive my ignorance--I can't find a crash.txt anywhere. Where would that be?

Comment

To generate a crash.txt you need to find the entry EnableLogs in \ctp_program\ctp\userprofile.txt and set it to EnableLogs=Yes. If the game crashes you will find the crash.txt-file in the same folder.

"Compatibility files" in Windows 7 already caused me a lot of trouble especially with modding CTP2: Windows 7 doesn't like files in it's "programs"-folder to be modified by the user or an application and so it puts a "working copy" of each file that needs to be modified into a "compatibility files"-directory. Therefore, if you really want to get rid of all files that belong to an application you need to find their copies in the "compatibility files"-directory and delete them from there as well. I am using XP at the office and so I can't tell you exactly where to find that directory at the moment -- but if you open the "real" program folder you will find a button in the upper left portion of the window labeled with something like "compatibility files" (it's "Kompatibilitätsdateien" in my german version) that links to the "clone" folder.
                The modding knowledgebase: CTP2 Bureau (with CTP2 AE Modding Wiki). Modern Times Mod (work in progress): MoT-Mod for CTP2.

Comment

Originally posted by BureauBert View Post
                  To generate a crash.txt you need to find the entry EnableLogs in \ctp_program\ctp\userprofile.txt and set it to EnableLogs=Yes. If the game crashes you will find the crash.txt-file in the same folder.
                  But only if you have the Apolyton Edition installed.

Originally posted by BureauBert View Post
                  "Compatibility files" in Windows 7 already caused me a lot of trouble especially with modding CTP2: Windows 7 doesn't like files in it's "programs"-folder to be modified by the user or an application and so it puts a "working copy" of each file that needs to be modified into a "compatibility files"-directory. Therefore, if you really want to get rid of all files that belong to an application you need to find their copies in the "compatibility files"-directory and delete them from there as well. I am using XP at the office and so I can't tell you exactly where to find that directory at the moment -- but if you open the "real" program folder you will find a button in the upper left portion of the window labeled with something like "compatibility files" (it's "Kompatibilitätsdateien" in my german version) that links to the "clone" folder.
                  Well, I gave my CTP2 folders right access to everyone, so not only my compiler can write there a new executable, but the executable itself can also write stuff there.

-Martin

Comment

weswood
                    Try uninstalling your c++ then reinstalling it, you may have to uninstall and reinstall the program too.
                    Who ever said everything is possible never tried slamming a revolving door!

Comment

Working...
                    X