Marathon Training.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marathon Training.

So I am entered into the Rock n Roll Marathon in Seattle. It all goes down June 25th so I have some time to train for it. For all you distance runners what do you suggest? I already run 4-5 miles 3 times a week. What else do I need to do for training? What mental preparation do I need and what mental hurdles will i encounter?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Ah yes...

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
      So I am entered into the Rock n Roll Marathon in Seattle. It all goes down June 25th so I have some time to train for it. For all you distance runners what do you suggest? I already run 4-5 miles 3 times a week. What else do I need to do for training? What mental preparation do I need and what mental hurdles will i encounter?
      15 miles a week is low mileage for even 5K training. You're going to have to (slowly!) ratchet that WAY up for a marathon.

Doing a quick google, most of the marathon training schedules I've seen START with 30 miles a week. You do have quite a bit of time to get up there though.

The novice routine given here starts week 1 with 15 miles per week. It's an 18 week plan though.

Marathon Training
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

My friend had a 3-month training schedule starting from zero running. He completed the marathon, but developed a stress fracture that kept him in a boot for a few months. It is good that you are starting earlier, but make sure you get on a reasonable 4-month training schedule as quickly as possible.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
          I actually did this about 10 years ago and there is a whole beginner's cycle which you have to work through which takes about 2-3 months. They used to publish the training schedules at Marathon magazine so I suggest you check their website first. The basics of it is you have a cycle of short, medium, long, break, cross train, short, break. The total milage per week starts low at the beginning and then slowly adds total miles as the weeks advance. At the beginning total weekly miles were around 12-15 miles per week and by the end you're doing 30-40 miles per week. I had to quit my marathon prep about halfway through due to a repetitive stress injury to my knee but even after just 1.5 months I was in my best shape since basic training.

BTW swimming laps is an excellent way to cross train as it works mostly upper body and is easy on the joints.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I do some running (I did 12km on Saturday) but I am doing more swimming than anything (another 3km 2-3 times a week too)...that seems to be doing wonders for my physical fitness.
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
              I do some running (I did 12km on Saturday) but I am doing more swimming than anything (another 3km 2-3 times a week too)...that seems to be doing wonders for my physical fitness.
              Along with eating regular Snickers bars, apparently.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

MARATHONS! Goddamn you, philistine!
                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

MARATHONS! Goddamn you, philistine!
                  You're the ignorant philistine, apparently.

In the United Kingdom and Ireland, Snickers was formerly sold under the brand name Marathon until 1990.[3] More recently, Snickers Marathon branded energy bars have been sold in some markets.[4

Comment

Those bastards are wrong and know sh*t
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Those bastards are wrong and know sh*t
                      why do you think the wrapper styling is the same?

They're the god damn same thing. They were Snickers here first but for some reason called Marathons over there til M&M Mars standardized it.

In 1930, the Mars family introduced its second product, Snickers, named after their favorite horse.[5

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        why do you think the wrapper styling is the same?

They're the god damn same thing. They were Snickers here first but for some reason called Marathons over there til M&M Mars standardized it.
                        They changed it. Goddamn the bastards!
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

They changed it. Goddamn the bastards!
                          You dumbass. The Snickers bar was introduced in 1930 in AMERICA as SNICKERS named after a horse!

Why they decided to market it as Marathon over there decades later, I don't know. But they rightly changed it back in 1990, 60 ****ing years after it was first named Snickers.

Comment

Are you honestly this f**king dense? I didn't even mean to troll you but you just took the bait that wasn't even there, and I just had to go with the flow.
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

So I got my new asics gt 2160s and they're sweet. tried breaking them in today on a 10 mile run but had to stop because I almost got blisters and I dont play that game.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                              X