Marathon Training.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
    So I got my new asics gt 2160s and they're sweet. tried breaking them in today on a 10 mile run but had to stop because I almost got blisters and I dont play that game.
    I have that exact shoe... I wore it at OCS... was wearing them when I got my stress fractures.

Blue and white:

I did wear another pair my first time at OCS and just had shin splints.

I don't wear these anymore. Switched to Nike Frees.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

MRT, in all seriousness, you done ****ed up.

So you've been running 4-5 miles 3 days a week and suddenly decide to run 10 miles in BRAND NEW running shoes?

NO! NO! NO! Holy ****. You need to break in new running shoes. NOT ****ING DOUBLE YOUR MILEAGE IN ONE GO!

No wonder you got blisters and thank god you got blisters since it stopped you from continuing with that madness.
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        MRT, in all seriousness, you done ****ed up.

So you've been running 4-5 miles 3 days a week and suddenly decide to run 10 miles in BRAND NEW running shoes?

NO! NO! NO! Holy ****. You need to break in new running shoes. NOT ****ING DOUBLE YOUR MILEAGE IN ONE GO!

No wonder you got blisters and thank god you got blisters since it stopped you from continuing with that madness.
        I didn't get blisters. I stopped at mile 7 cause I could feel them coming on. Also, that 7 miles was a breeeeeeeze.

Friday, another 10 mile run is scheduled. I'll probably do a 4 mile walk on thursday night.
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I always am amazed at how easy a time some people have.

I can spend a couple of months jogging 3 miles 6-8 times a week, and I would still have a hard time doing 7 miles.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

I can spend a couple of months jogging 3 miles 6-8 times a week, and I would still have a hard time doing 7 miles.

JM
            I slowed my pace down by a minute per mile. I think that helped a lot.
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

JM
              He was probably going pretty slow.

And yeah, I don't get it. Some people are just born to run. I hate running distance. After about a half mile no matter what pace I'm going at, I'm like "God this sucks". I just remember that the people who run fast have less time in the suck than someone who runs slow so I try to pick up the pace.

Comment

He was probably going pretty slow.

And yeah, I don't get it. Some people are just born to run. I hate running distance. After about a half mile no matter what pace I'm going at, I'm like "God this sucks". I just remember that the people who run fast have less time in the suck than someone who runs slow so I try to pick up the pace.
                I've never been a fast runner. My all time best mile was 6:59 and that was a straight shot. For me, I think just getting into a rhythm and thinking about the end goal is what keeps me going. My average pace for today was 11 minutes which is just a minute slower than my normal pace. Part of it is that I don't think it sucks except for the first mile and a half. After that initial distance i start loosening up.

The thing I'm worried about is once I clear 13 miles. It seems kind of intimidating that I'm only halfway done.

Comment

I don't know if I have ever gotten below a 7 minute mile.

I have been able to, for a couple of weeks, 3 miles in 24 minutes.

I generally jog 9 minutes miles.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I've done a hair above 6 minute mile before. Distance may not have been exact though since I used google maps data to map out a mile. My best 3 mile was 21:45 on a PFT at OCS... dead last in my platoon with that time.

I don't know how people do it. My legs feel like I'm running through mud after a mile in. It's not pain in my leg muscles nor that I'm gasping for breath. It's just that my legs feel exactly like how it feels to trudge through mud like every step takes muscular exertion. That causes me to slow down my turnover which obviously slows me down.

Comment

So how's it going, MRT?

Jon Miller:

If you've done a 24 minute 3 mile, you've definitely been able to do a sub-7:00 mile.

Really, a 7 minute mile is easy if you think about it. And I'm saying this as someone who hates running and would probably have a rough time mustering a 7 minute mile if he ran right now. Let's see, that's a 1:45 400m... a 26.25 second 100m.

Jon, if you can get to a track, go run at a leisurely pace 100m while watching a stopwatch and try to maintain a steady pace while crossing the 100m mark right at 26 seconds. I bet your first time doing it, you'll be thinking you're going at an easy pace but find yourself at 100m in under 20 seconds. When you get 100m in exactly 26 seconds, you'll be amazed at just how slow that pace is.

Now of course, the trick would be to do that 100m 15 more times to get a 7 minute mile... that 16 times might be daunting but the pace itself is not fast at all.

I don't know. I keep trying to convince myself it's easy. Maybe that positive realization that the pace is not that tough... it's just carrying it over and maintaining it over distance... maybe put in perspective, it will help you.

Comment

When I am doing intervals I do minute long spates at 14km/hr. This is just a bit faster than a 7 minute mile.

I could maybe do it for 2 minutes. I definitely am having a hard time on my 4th fast interval (my rest intervals are 9km/hr).

I am pushing very hard to be able to do 7 fast intervals...

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

So how's it going, MRT?

Jon Miller:

If you've done a 24 minute 3 mile, you've definitely been able to do a sub-7:00 mile.

Really, a 7 minute mile is easy if you think about it. And I'm saying this as someone who hates running and would probably have a rough time mustering a 7 minute mile if he ran right now. Let's see, that's a 1:45 400m... a 26.25 second 100m.

Jon, if you can get to a track, go run at a leisurely pace 100m while watching a stopwatch and try to maintain a steady pace while crossing the 100m mark right at 26 seconds. I bet your first time doing it, you'll be thinking you're going at an easy pace but find yourself at 100m in under 20 seconds. When you get 100m in exactly 26 seconds, you'll be amazed at just how slow that pace is.

Now of course, the trick would be to do that 100m 15 more times to get a 7 minute mile... that 16 times might be daunting but the pace itself is not fast at all.

I don't know. I keep trying to convince myself it's easy. Maybe that positive realization that the pace is not that tough... it's just carrying it over and maintaining it over distance... maybe put in perspective, it will help you.
                          I ran 14 miles in a little over 2 hours on Sunday. It's going pretty well. My legs are finally adjusting to running fairly often, my breathing is good and I feel great afterwards and the next day with just normal soreness that dissipates over the course of the day. I've been doing 3 mile runs during the week and those are cake. I've worked down to an 8 minute pace on them.

My feet and shins are fine. No blisters. The only thing that's annoying is tightness in my right hip that is probably from years of being sedentary and the reconditioning of the muscle and tendons to move like that.

The thing that's hard for me at this point is consistent pace. Ideally I'd like to not go between 6-7 mph 4-5 different times while I run.

Comment

Working...
                          X