Philadelphia mosques suspend 21 Imams for child molestation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philadelphia mosques suspend 21 Imams for child molestation

Haha, psych! It's actually the archdiocese suspending priests! WHAM, didn't see that coming.

Philadelphia archdiocese suspends 21 priests

PHILADELPHIA—The Philadelphia archdiocese suspended 21 Roman Catholic priests Tuesday who were named as child molestation suspects in a scathing grand jury report last month, a move that comes more than eight years after U.S. bishops pledged swift action to keep potential abusers away from young people.

The priests have been removed from ministry while their cases are reviewed, Cardinal Justin Rigali said. The names of the priests were not being released, a spokesman for the archdiocese said.

“These have been difficult weeks since the release of the grand jury report,” Rigali said in a statement. “Difficult most of all for victims of sexual abuse but also for all Catholics and for everyone in our community.”

The two-year grand jury investigation into priest abuse in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia resulted in charges against two priests, a former priest and a Catholic school teacher who are accused of raping young boys. And in an unprecedented move in the United States, a former high-ranking church official was accused of transferring problem priests to new parishes without warning anyone of prior sex-abuse complaints.

Since 2002, when the national abuse crisis erupted in the Archdiocese of Boston, American dioceses have barred hundreds of accused clergy from public church work or removed the men permanently from the priesthood. The actions of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia stand out because they occurred years after the U.S. bishops reformed their national child protection policies.

The grand jury named 37 priests who remained in active ministry despite credible allegations of sexual abuse. After the release of the report, the second such investigation in the city in six years, Rigali vowed to take its calls for further reforms seriously.

In addition to the 21 priests placed on leave Tuesday, three others named by the grand jury were suspended a week after the report’s release in February. There were five other priests who would have been suspended: one who was already on leave, two who are “incapacitated and have not been in active ministry,” and two who no longer are priests in the archdiocese but are now members of another religious order that was not identified.

“The archdiocese has notified the superiors of their religious orders and the bishops of the dioceses where they are residing,” the cardinal said.

The remaining eight priests of the 37 in the report were not being put on leave because the latest examination of their cases “found no further investigation is warranted,” Rigali said.

“I know that for many people their trust in the church has been shaken,” Rigali stated. “I pray that the efforts of the archdiocese to address these cases of concern and to re-evaluate our way of handling allegations will help rebuild that trust.”

While the archdiocese formed a panel to handle abuse complaints after the 2005 report, the 2011 grand jury found it mostly worked to protect the church, not the victims. Rigali responded by retaining former city child-abuse prosecutor Gina Maisto Smith to re-examine complaints made against the active-duty priests that internal church investigators previously said they could not substantiate.

“Cardinal Rigali’s actions are as commendable as they are unprecedented, and they reflect his concern for the physical and spiritual well-being of those in his care,” District Attorney Seth Williams said in a statement. “We appreciate that the Archdiocese has acknowledged the value of the report, and seen fit to take some of the steps called for by the grand jury.”

The suspensions came on the eve of Lent, the Christian period for penance leading up to Easter.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

child molestation = bad fruit
    catholic church = false prophets

Comment

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.
      I always took that passage as a condemnation of wearing woolen products.

Comment

Philadelphia
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Oh Asher, you so crazy!
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

So wait, priests commit crimes--archdioses gets rid of priests--where is the problem?
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              So wait, priests commit crimes--archdioses gets rid of priests--where is the problem?
              This thread is a way for Asher to simultaneously poke fun at Ben Kenobi and myself.

I actually attended a Catholic school in this archdiocese for two years in middle school. The priest did not fondle me.
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yes, the alarming frequency is nothing to be concerned about.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  This thread is a way for Asher to simultaneously poke fun at Ben Kenobi and myself.

I actually attended a Catholic school in this archdiocese for two years in middle school. The priest did not fondle me.
                  Yeah, I'm not sure if I believe that. It would go a long way to explaining your various dysfunctions.

Comment

Or the person has so not got game he could not get laid in a prison...
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Why are there 21 kiddie fiddlers, period?
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Organized crime ?
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                          Haha, psych! It's actually the archdiocese suspending priests! WHAM, didn't see that coming.
                          Actually I won't expect that to happen since most would probably hide the evidence by strapping bombs to the tots after they were done with them and sending them into crowds. Killing two birds with one stone.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                          X