Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armies of Expensive Lawyers, Replaced by Cheaper Software

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/sc...general&src=me

When five television studios became entangled in a Justice Department antitrust lawsuit against CBS, the cost was immense. As part of the obscure task of “discovery” — providing documents relevant to a lawsuit — the studios examined six million documents at a cost of more than $2.2 million, much of it to pay for a platoon of lawyers and paralegals who worked for months at high hourly rates.

But that was in 1978. Now, thanks to advances in artificial intelligence, “e-discovery” software can analyze documents in a fraction of the time for a fraction of the cost. In January, for example, Blackstone Discovery of Palo Alto, Calif., helped analyze 1.5 million documents for less than $100,000.
    If people weren't so irrationally attached to humans, expert systems could have replaced doctors a decade ago.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

After watching a few of Watson's answers, I still want the doctor as a backup.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Patient "rah" needs his clitoris enlarged
      [/Watson]
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

[doctor] I believe Watson meant (hmm can't think of anything I need enlarged, definitely not my prostate)
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
          After watching a few of Watson's answers, I still want the doctor as a backup.
          In the few instances where hospitals did have Expert Systems they basically required a doctor to sign off on what it said to do.

Comment

I would hope so.
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There was a krugman article that ran alongside that where he rambled on about how automation is murdering the middle class.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Not one of his best pieces, but he did make some salient points. Which ones are you countering and how?
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well for starters, he notes, correctly, that American workers have trouble competing when workers in other countries get paid less--but suggests we remedy this by paying them more. That's like curing alcoholism with whiskey. He's gone totally bonkers.

Also, OH NO THE MIDDLE CLASS! We have to stop Westlaw before it's too late!
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    Well for starters, he notes, correctly, that American workers have trouble competing when workers in other countries get paid less--but suggests we remedy this by paying them more. That's like curing alcoholism with whiskey. He's gone totally bonkers.

What's that have to do with automation?
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post

What does Westlaw have to do with automation?
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                      X