Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll be in the US March 8-18th (New York & Atlanta)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be in the US March 8-18th (New York & Atlanta)

I'm taking a deserved vacation and decided it should be USA this time. My time will be
    split between Auburn (near Atlanta) (March 9th-13th) and New York (March 14th-18th).
    I'm arriving to New York by plane, taking an Amtrak train to Atlanta, spending some time
    there and back the same way, staying a few days in New York before I head back. I did
    all my bookings and reservations online, hopefully I haven't messed anything up

Any tips for a first-time-to-USA-traveler? Shouldn't be too different from Europe, right?

How much should I tip people? How do I tip when I'm paying with credit card?

Also, if anyone is in the cities I mentioned on the dates I mentioned, let me know if you're
    up for a beer.

I will be available in NYC on those dates. If any other poly denizens want to meet up we can set up something more organized, otherwise we can just meet up and grab a beer.

I've chased most of poly out of NYC, so it might just be me.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
      I've always wondered about this. How on earth do you do that? I usually tell them, "make it x", but it's awkward. And when I leave cash in the holder they don't realize 'till I'm gone. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
        I'm taking a deserved vacation and decided it should be USA this time. My time will be
        split between Auburn (near Atlanta) (March 9th-13th) and New York (March 14th-18th).
        I'm arriving to New York by plane, taking an Amtrak train to Atlanta, spending some time
        there and back the same way, staying a few days in New York before I head back. I did
        all my bookings and reservations online, hopefully I haven't messed anything up

Any tips for a first-time-to-USA-traveler? Shouldn't be too different from Europe, right?

18%. If you pay with a card, this will be the progression:

0) If you are at a bar and just drinking they will probably take your credit card (and possibly ID) as a security measure
        1) When you are finished, you ask for the bill
        2) They bring the bill, and you hand them your card (or if you already gave them your card, you tell them to run it on the card you gave)
        3) They run your card and bring you a receipt to sign. This receipt will have a line for "Tip" and "Total"
        4) Write down your tip, and the total (tip plus price). Sign.

Be careful; some places will add a tip for you (there will be a line on the bill for this). Don't double tip! Also, some places will have a 10, 15 or even 20$ minimum on cards. They will tell you in advance. In NYC, a number of restaurants do not take cards (generally, smaller restaurants)
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

There is a line on the credit card receipt which you fill in and they adjust after the fact.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            I will be available in NYC on those dates. If any other poly denizens want to meet up we can set up something more organized, otherwise we can just meet up and grab a beer.

I've chased most of poly out of NYC, so it might just be me.

OK. Let's see if there's anyone else interested... can a mod please add "polymeet possible" or
            something similar to the thread title?

Also, thanks for the credit card tips. Seems a bit of a risk to place my card in the custody of any
            random bar/restaurant I attend. We definitely don't do that this side of the pond.

Comment

Credit cards have fraud protection here. Basically, any charge you dispute will be removed (I mean "you" as in somebody with a US or Canadian cc account) . I know people who used to occasionally forget their cards at a bar after a night drinking and claim the bar tab (which would be run without their explicit permission when the bar closed at the end of the night) as fraud. The cc company would reverse his charges and refuse to honor the merchant's charge. This is a piece of enormous douchebaggery, and if there is any justice in the world will lead to him getting a fraud charge laid against him one day.
              Last edited by KrazyHorse; March 7, 2011, 04:42.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So, when I went to New York, I was armed with all this preparation about tipping, and the bizarre practice of tipping a barman even if you go to the bar to get your drink yourself. Knew how much to tip, that I should tip etc.

Then I bought a round of drinks that came to exactly $20, and it being my first day I only had $20 bills. I was a at a loss and he didn't get a tip.

Allegedly what you should say is "I'll get you next time" or something.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

You should actually rip a second twenty in half, give him one, and stuff the other half down KHs pants. Then challenge him to go get it.

The show should be worth at least twenty bucks.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Like I would resist
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I was counting on you being a slut. I said the show would be worth it.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It would be over quick. I'm a sucker for men that smell like booze.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So, you get off on the thought of a NY Bartender wrestling with KH's groin?
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

It was only twenty bucks. You'll have to work harder for Broadway.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

BTW, some people mechanically tip 18%. I go between 0% and 25%, averaging about 20%. If the same waiter is rude to me twice in a single sitting then he's not getting a tip (and I might never come back to the place either).
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X