Weird research issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird research issue

Trying out CtP2 with the Apolyton mod for the first time, and it's been a loooong time since i played this game and i seem to have forgotten a ton =P I did run into one weird issue though that i'm pretty sure isn't just something i'm not remembering about the game.

At some point one of the techs open to research was Theology. After seeing that it let me build the Hagia Sophia and there was nothing awesome in the other techs i decided to go with it. My capital was busy with something at the time so i didn't pay any attention to what was happening with the research and just picked something else when it completed (or at least i thought it did.)

Then 220 BC my capital finished up and i tried to switch it to the Hagia Sophia... except it wasn't in the list of wonders, just the Forbidden Palace. I went to the research screen and there were four techs available, none of them Theology. (Does it only ever show you four techs at a time, and if what you want isn't there you're out of luck? It's been so long.)

I loaded the cheat menu just to check, and it said that i didn't have Theology. And then i got the idea to check an old save. Sure enough when i loaded the 340 BC save it said i was researching Theology with two turns left to go. I just hit the "End Turn" button twice and sure enough, i got Theology, and when i went to my capital the Hagia Sophia was an option.

Anyone have any idea what happened the first time around?

There is a research bug in the original game, when you complete a tech and reload from the autosave of the same turn than you have to research your tech again.

Another thing is if you pick an advance than there are only four (or whatever number) techs to pick, even so you have the prerequisite for more techs. The techs you can chose is random. This is not a bug but design.

Note you can also try the Apolyton Edition, there the autosave bug is fixed, but of course picking techs to research works the same way.

And for the Apolyton Edition you don't need the Apolyton Pack, so finish your game first.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann View Post
      There is a research bug in the original game, when you complete a tech and reload from the autosave of the same turn than you have to research your tech again.

Another thing is if you pick an advance than there are only four (or whatever number) techs to pick, even so you have the prerequisite for more techs. The techs you can chose is random. This is not a bug but design.

Note you can also try the Apolyton Edition, there the autosave bug is fixed, but of course picking techs to research works the same way.

And for the Apolyton Edition you don't need the Apolyton Pack, so finish your game first.

-Martin
      I've had the problem with the latest Apolyton edition that it randomly changes my research. I ended up researching Classical Education four times and it badly effected my civilisation. This also seems to happen whenever I get another advance from a foreign civilisation (by theft or conquest); it automatically changes my research to something random and I have to go and manually change it back, regardless if the aquired advance was one I was researching to begin with.

Comment

Working...
      X