If a can of tomato paste is 3 years expired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume they are talking about tomato puree

Ive only ever used it from a tube but it would seem it exists in canned form too

beat me too it again mike :grr:
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I've bought it in cans.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

I know that in both the US and Sweden, that milk and eggs can be used (and taste fine) long after the use by date (which is generally a few days after the best by date).

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

can be used (and taste fine)
          Yes, same in the UK but there will also be a much higher chance that they'll contain dangerous levels of food poisoning bacteria.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

The thing with milk (and everything else, really) is that it's somewhat random as to when it goes bad. You'll have a bell curve, with the expiration date placed such that a very large percentage gets bad after that date. Odds are, most of the products will get bad after that date. The good thing with milk is that, once it goes bad, all of it goes bad, so you can smell it to be sure.

Similarly with eggs. You should always be cracking them in a bowl rather than directly into what you're making. That way, if one of them is bad, it won't ruin what you're making.

Cheese is great. It gets tastier, and moldier, but you can always cut the mold off.

Spicy food
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I use to regularly eat moldy bread, and then someone told me it was dangerous (I think on here).

I now try not to do so...

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Hey, I just learned blue cheese can go bad. It just takes a really long time, and it's hard to tell when it happens.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

"bleu"
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Cheese generally gets inedible from the strong smell / taste before getting actually bad, I think.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                      "bleu"
                      Both spellings are acceptable, punk.
                      1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                        Why can't you eat spicy food? You're such a wuss.
                        It makes his anus bleed.
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          Wait, is tomato paste just what you like to call tomato sauce?
                          No, ketchup is tomato sauce. You use sauces as a condiment.
                          Tomato paste is used when you don't have affordable fresh tomatoes for a recipe that requires them in puréed form, like a stew or a chilli... or a tomato sauce.
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                            No, ketchup is tomato sauce. You use sauces as a condiment.
                            In the U.S., at least, ketchup and tomato sauce mean two different things. Tomato sauce is what you put on spaghetti, or pizza (not that you put the same stuff on both).
                            1011 1100

Comment

Same here. Ketchup should be thicker than sauce (but not as thick as paste).
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                                I just replaced our ketchup, the old bottle expired this month - after 2 years
                                This is the fate of most ketchups.
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X