Master of Magic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master of Magic

Who played in this brilliat fantasy-successor of original Civilisation?
    I think it was great and very addictive.

I did and it was awesome!
    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Yep. I have it on my PC now, but it runs atrociously slow on Dosbox and I'm afraid to tinker with it to make it work. Different internet sites say different things about what helps, so that's no good either. Grr.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I played it a lot when I still had my DOS PC. Great game
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

pictures on google images look dated, are they coming out with a newer version?

Comment

It's very unlikely. MOM is one of those great old games that just failed to spawn a successor.
            1011 1100

Comment

I did and loved it but not sure I want to go back and shatter those happy memories as I did with railroad tycoon recently.

It is on GOG games though.....

Comment

You can play MOM in Windows, if you use Win95 compatibility mode, minus the sound.

I still play the game on occasion.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Highelf Longbowmen were Awesome
                  Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by dani_lerje View Post
                    Who played in this brilliat fantasy-successor of original Civilisation?
                    I think it was great and very addictive.
                    Join Date Mar 2004
                    Posts 1
                    Wow. De-lurking after almost seven years.

I played MOM back when it first came out. It was riddled with bugs and had lousy AI, and I loved every minute of it. As long as games capture a certain "feeling", it is easy to overlook all the shortcomings.
                    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Agreed. By the by, if anybody else has the Dosbox lag problem I did, simply digging up the config file and setting cycles to 20000 will have it humming like a Ferrari. Damned if I know what that means, but a random internet guide advised me to try it and it worked beautifully.
                      1011 1100

Comment

If dosbox ran at the maximum speed it could, most games would be rendered unplayable due to high speed. Thus, it starts at a level adequate for some of the early dos games, but needs to be adjusted to play the more resource-intensive games. There are hotkeys to adjust this in-game, but you should set your config file to whatever you need to make your most-played game playble.
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Yeah, I only felt comfortable screwing with the config file when I realized that MOO and MOO2 came with their own custom config files off GOG.com. And I don't use Dosbox for anything else.
                          1011 1100

Comment

Those settings are completely safe, as they essentially are caps... If you set anything above what your PC can handle, it'll just limit itself to that.
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

No, I wasn't even nervous over something as sensible as that; I was afraid I'd ruin its performance for MOO and forget what I'd done.

By-the-by, what's the command to end dosbox? I've been simply using Ctrl-Alt-Del when the little box that says "thank you for playing MOM" pops up (MOO and MOO2 end automatically via some witchcraft I'm not familiar with).
                              1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X